PDA

View Full Version : So this is what we'd look like?

Devin
04-11-2006, 08:18 PM
I have to say looking at this even furthur, this really hasnt been a bad offseason. A lot of cheap youth added, a lot of "potential". A word we are all weary of im sure. I look moreso toward the 2007 season (not counting us out by any means in 2006....just saying we will be looking good for the future).

TKO is a question mark as is QB, but in theory.....on paper anyway if the draft went this way would you be terribly dissapointed? Assuming we are able to sign Reyes, and if Gibson returns to form we have 3 new OL.

Again just tossing out ideas, but what if our first three rounds went like this:

1. Vernon Davis, TE
2. Ko Simpson, S (assuming Bing is gone otherwise id take him here)
3. John McCargo, DT
3. Andrew Whitworth, OT

Offense:
OT: A. Gibson/Gandy
OG: T. Reyes
C: M. Fowler
OG: C. Villarial/Preston
OT: J. Peters
TE: Vernon Davis (1)
WR: Lee Evans/Josh Reed
WR: Peerless Price/Andre Davis
RB: Willis McGahee
FB: Damion Shelton
QB: JP Losman

Defense:
DE: Aaron Schobel
DT: Larry Triplett
DT: Tim Anderson
DE: Chris Kelsay/FA-Rookie
OLB: TKO/Angelo Crowell
ILB: London Fletcher
OLB: J. Posey/Angelo Crowell
CB: Terrence McGee
CB: Nate Clements
FS: Troy Vincent
SS: Ko Simpson (2)

Thoughts?

G. Host
04-11-2006, 08:25 PM
You will get slammed for Tim Anderson as starter

Devin
04-11-2006, 08:26 PM
Probably, just the way it looks thus far.

The_Philster
04-11-2006, 08:26 PM
You will get slammed for Tim Anderson as starter
not his fault..BB.com has him as a starter

patmoran2006
04-11-2006, 08:27 PM
It's all going to come down to who wins the QB job and how he plays.. Last year he had ATROCIOUS game day coaching to hang some losses on.. This year, its ALL on the QB's to do something.

If Losman wins the job and plays like the guy we drafted in the first round, we could be respectable and looking for the future..

If our QB sucks, then our record will be LUCKY to be as good as last year's, and we'll have wasted another year with bum QB(s).

QB play is the single-biggest thing on the team from this point forth..

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 08:27 PM
I still think DT may be our 2nd rounder. I wish we had 2 2nd rounders somehow

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 08:28 PM
It's all going to come down to who wins the QB job and how he plays.. Last year he had ATROCIOUS game day coaching to hang some losses on.. This year, its ALL on the QB's to do something.

If Losman wins the job and plays like the guy we drafted in the first round, we could be respectable and looking for the future..

If our QB sucks, then our record will be LUCKY to be as good as last year's, and we'll have wasted another year with bum QB(s).

QB play is the single-biggest thing on the team from this point forth..

I can actually agree 100%. The TEAM esp on offense is getting setup to be damn explosive.

I would actually entertain Marv calling up the titans about McNair just to check and see.

patmoran2006
04-11-2006, 08:29 PM
We still might have two second rounders, because if Davis and Huff are both gone we're going to (as we should) trade down

Devin
04-11-2006, 08:29 PM
I do as well ICE cause bringing in another young DT would go miles. A ton of top DT talent any other year will fall in round 2.

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 08:31 PM
I do as well ICE cause bringing in another young DT would go miles. A ton of top DT talent any other year will fall in round 2. And we must have great depth as we rotate the starters in quite abit

OpIv37
04-11-2006, 08:37 PM
not his fault..BB.com has him as a starter

well Devin also has Reyes as a starter and he's not even signed yet. so I don't think he's wedded to BB.com's starters.

Anderson sucks. Getting Davis is a ?. Losman is a ? Getting Reyes is a ? The receivers have a lot to prove. Villarial sucks and Preston's not ready. First we have to get this Simpson guy and then see if he's ready to start.

I'm not convinced.

patmoran2006
04-11-2006, 08:44 PM
Reyes would be a huge improvement over Anderson or Villarrial.. Even if he was the "weakest link" of the Carolina line, it only proves their weakest link was better than our strongest.. Sign that kid immediately..

That's still not enough, either the second or third pick in our draft needs to be a guard also.. Anderson flat out blows and Villarrial, even if you dont already hate him (i do) he's a broken down 11 year vet, he doesnt fit in our "youth movement".. HIs presence should have been FAR less important than Adams or even Milloy..

And BTW, off subject.. Im SOOOOOO sick of hearing about this cover two.. WTF good is a cover two to protect against the pass when we cant stop the run? WE couldnt stop the RUN LAST year and now Tim ANderson and Matt Bowens are going to stop the run?

EVery FA we missed out on or didnt offer a contract too, I can live with.. But not landing a second GOOD DT is going to hurt us this year, I garentee it..

Mr. Pink
04-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Reyes would be a huge improvement over Anderson or Villarrial.. Even if he was the "weakest link" of the Carolina line, it only proves their weakest link was better than our strongest.. Sign that kid immediately..

That's still not enough, either the second or third pick in our draft needs to be a guard also.. Anderson flat out blows and Villarrial, even if you dont already hate him (i do) he's a broken down 11 year vet, he doesnt fit in our "youth movement".. HIs presence should have been FAR less important than Adams or even Milloy..

And BTW, off subject.. Im SOOOOOO sick of hearing about this cover two.. WTF good is a cover two to protect against the pass when we cant stop the run? WE couldnt stop the RUN LAST year and now Tim ANderson and Matt Bowens are going to stop the run?

EVery FA we missed out on or didnt offer a contract too, I can live with.. But not landing a second GOOD DT is going to hurt us this year, I garentee it..

Absolutely dead on....what good is the cover 2 when every team in the league can and will run the ball down our throats? Our pass D wasn't the problem last year, outside of the Miami game, yet we do little to nothing to improve the run defense. I don't get it.

Devin
04-11-2006, 09:26 PM
well Devin also has Reyes as a starter and he's not even signed yet. so I don't think he's wedded to BB.com's starters.

Anderson sucks. Getting Davis is a ?. Losman is a ? Getting Reyes is a ? The receivers have a lot to prove. Villarial sucks and Preston's not ready. First we have to get this Simpson guy and then see if he's ready to start.

I'm not convinced.

Sorry I should have added that in there. I was actually using the BB.com depth chart. Just sort of a "what if" if we did indeed sign Reyes.

There are question marks everywhere, but thats any NFL team. This team is most certainly a work in progress, however I have to admit im not as pessimistic as most.

If Bill Polian along with half the league says Marv is the man and knows what hes doing, im going to trust him.

Mr. Miyagi
04-12-2006, 03:28 AM
In Marv We Trust

ICE74129
04-12-2006, 08:44 AM

then you are now saying Ngata or Bunkley should be our pick at #8. If it is that important, then take the best talent. If you don't feel the talent on the DL is good enough, wouldn't it make sense to take the best talent available to put on the lines?

And Reyes wouldn't be a 'huge' improvement, an improvement yes, but not 'huge' by far.

ICE74129
04-12-2006, 08:46 AM
Absolutely dead on....what good is the cover 2 when every team in the league can and will run the ball down our throats? Our pass D wasn't the problem last year, outside of the Miami game, yet we do little to nothing to improve the run defense. I don't get it.

Then if it is that great an issue, Ngata or Bunkley is the pick at 8. Unless some still want to Go TE and take a lesser talent at DT and hope that lesser talent can start and do well.

Mr. Pink
04-12-2006, 11:17 AM
I still go with Vernon Davis if he's there....then hope Gabe Watson falls to me in Rd2 and can perform at the NFL level.

A DT with run clogging skill are a dime a dozen. Washington, Williams, Parella, Jackson, Hollis Thomas, Gerard Warren....A game changing TE doesn't come along as often and usually commands a MUCH steeper price when they produce. You take the guy who can give you the most return on your investment, not just next year but 3 and 5 years from now.

IMO

Billsrock4life
04-12-2006, 03:09 PM
I have to say looking at this even furthur, this really hasnt been a bad offseason. A lot of cheap youth added, a lot of "potential". A word we are all weary of im sure. I look moreso toward the 2007 season (not counting us out by any means in 2006....just saying we will be looking good for the future).

TKO is a question mark as is QB, but in theory.....on paper anyway if the draft went this way would you be terribly dissapointed? Assuming we are able to sign Reyes, and if Gibson returns to form we have 3 new OL.

Again just tossing out ideas, but what if our first three rounds went like this:

1. Vernon Davis, TE
3. John McCargo, DT
3. Andrew Whitworth, OT

Offense:

Defense:

Thoughts?

looks good

Bill Brasky
04-12-2006, 03:12 PM

1. Vernon Davis, TE
3. John McCargo, DT
3. Andrew Whitworth, OT

Offense:

Defense:

Thoughts?

so you wouldn't mind if new orleans rebuilt using cheap inexperienced parts?

Devin
04-12-2006, 10:11 PM
They probably are anyway lol.

Im simply saying its not THAT bad, i feel like we are taking a step in the right direction.

Mahdi
04-13-2006, 02:02 AM
I love the McCargo pick, but there is no way he lasts to the third round. Otherwise that would be an incredible draft. Whitworth could potentially win a starting job as well with Peters moving to LT.

Night Train
04-13-2006, 02:25 AM
Whitworth will probably be a 1st round pick. McCargo will go in the 1st or 2nd.