PDA

View Full Version : Zone Original: Draftboy

northernbillfan
04-12-2006, 10:14 AM
Wide Receivers
1. Todd Watkins 6’2 185lbs. 40yd dash-4.4 BYU Projection: 5th Rd
Positive;
Watkins has incredible speed and can beat any team deep or over the middle picking up the YAC yards. He uses his speed well to gain separation from defenders down the field. Watkins has good size for his position and has springs for legs. A QB could easily just throw up a jump ball in the red zone and expect Watkins to come down with it. He has excellent awareness of where the holes are in zone coverage and can cut off a route to sit down in one them.

Full article (http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2006/04/12/bills_zones_draft_sleeper_picks_positional_breakdown_part_3_wrs.php)

casdhf
04-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Hey, draft boy ... how about some NFL comparisons to some of these guys ... I don't follow it quite like you do.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-12-2006, 02:49 PM
No offense to anyone, especially draftboy, but draftboy wouldn't be able to compare any of these guys. There is no way he has watched game film on these guys and can give you an honest evaluation. He, like everyone else, is just regurgitating stuff they have read. He might look at one of these guys and tell you another receiver that is the same size or looks like them, but sorry, it is all opinion from things read. So, just read it and have fun with it.

Tatonka
04-12-2006, 02:59 PM
good just DB.. good read.

ghost.. i think your being a little harsh.. i watch 10 hours of college football every saturday as a gambler and when i do draft write ups, i only speak on guys that i have watched at least a few times.

DB may be doing the same.

DraftBoy
04-12-2006, 03:23 PM
No offense to anyone, especially draftboy, but draftboy wouldn't be able to compare any of these guys. There is no way he has watched game film on these guys and can give you an honest evaluation. He, like everyone else, is just regurgitating stuff they have read. He might look at one of these guys and tell you another receiver that is the same size or looks like them, but sorry, it is all opinion from things read. So, just read it and have fun with it.

No offense taken, I can give him some comparisons and I will attempt to in my next post but it is impossible to say X player will be just like Y player in the NFL. I could watch 20 hours of football each saturday and I still cant tell you who they are similar too. I really hate the comparison crap bc its all bs. However Ghost most of these players I have seen atleast 3-4 games of this year, aside from a few like Erik Meyer. Its my job at school to keep up with all the sports (do a 3x weekly sports radio talk show) so I watch alot and try and to keep away from all the main stream guys. As I do this for the site, I talk about alot of these guys on the radio too. None of you guys will be able to get it unless your around Milledgeville, Georgia. So while your right alot of what I say, in fact all of what I say is opinion based, its also bc Ive seen alot of these guys play on film, and I double check my stuff with the draft guides to make sure Im semi on par with the experts, bc I am not one, I just like to pretend I am.

DraftBoy
04-12-2006, 03:24 PM
good just DB.. good read.

ghost.. i think your being a little harsh.. i watch 10 hours of college football every saturday as a gambler and when i do draft write ups, i only speak on guys that i have watched at least a few times.

DB may be doing the same.

Thanks, and I watch alot of film but not just because I gamble, bc I do a show too, but I cant see everybody (unfortunately). But thanks for the compliment, Im doing these for you guys.

ICE74129
04-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Damn good stuff DB. BTW where did Mills and Runnels rate on your FB's I missed it

DraftBoy
04-12-2006, 03:41 PM
QB-Charlie Whitehurst-Kerry Collins
QB Darrel Hackney-Daunte Culpepper
QB Bruce Gradkowski-Chad Pennington
QB Tavaris Jackson-Donovan McNabb
QB-Erik Meyer-Jon Kitna

RB-Leon Washington-Warrick Dunn
RB-Gerald Riggs Jr.-Jamal Lewis
RB-Selvin Young-Clinton Portis
RB-Lonta Hobbs-Lamont Jordan
RB-Mike Imoh-Justin Fargas

WR-Todd Watkins-Chris Chambers
WR-Delaine Walker-Eric Moulds
WR-Marques Colston-David Givens
WR-Jeff Webb-Jabar Gaffney
WR-Drouzon Quillen-Plaxico Burress

The rest of the articles will include NFL comparisons for Cas, these are stictly comparisons based on if there guys reach full potential, imo.

DraftBoy
04-12-2006, 03:43 PM
Damn good stuff DB. BTW where did Mills and Runnels rate on your FB's I missed it

Mills is my #1 FB, and Im not putting anybody #1 at a posistion in a sleeper article, I got Runnels at the #4 FB in the draft, behind Mills, Hill, and Gilbert. Glad you liked it. Btw Runnels will be in the article #5.

ICE74129
04-12-2006, 03:44 PM
Mills is my #1 FB, and Im not putting anybody #1 at a posistion in a sleeper article, I got Runnels at the #4 FB in the draft, behind Mills, Hill, and Gilbert. Glad you liked it. Btw Runnels will be in the article #5.

You of course know I am going to disagree on Runnels :peace:

DraftBoy
04-12-2006, 03:47 PM
You of course know I am going to disagree on Runnels :peace:

Your fine just read the articles, first and the challenge the rankings, Ill be happy to break it down with you.

ICE74129
04-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Your fine just read the articles, first and the challenge the rankings, Ill be happy to break it down with you.

The problem is I have seen everyone of his games and understand what kind of a FB he can be in the NFL. Stoops system isn't that condusive to FB's :-)

DraftBoy
04-12-2006, 03:53 PM
The problem is I have seen everyone of his games and understand what kind of a FB he can be in the NFL. Stoops system isn't that condusive to FB's :-)

Its not the system he was in that downgraded his game, its the fact that he can block and thats about it. He's not as good a runner as Mills, Hill, or Gilbert. Same with receiving skills. Those guys bring X, Y, and Z to the game, he only brings X. But he's prolly the 1st or 2nd best blocking FB in the class.

Kerr
04-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Hey draftboy, I read somewhere some people were calling colston the next T.O.

DraftBoy
04-12-2006, 11:23 PM
Hey draftboy, I read somewhere some people were calling colston the next T.O.

He's got the size and the ability but not the same type of speed. My NFL Comparisons arent that accurate, they are more to help out fans like Cas who dont follow the draft like I am some others do. I like Colston alot to be honest, he or Drouzen would be ideal for this team, I think.

Kerr
04-12-2006, 11:26 PM
He's got the size and the ability but not the same type of speed. My NFL Comparisons arent that accurate, they are more to help out fans like Cas who dont follow the draft like I am some others do. I like Colston alot to be honest, he or Drouzen would be ideal for this team, I think.

Hey, your comparisons are better than anything I can come up with. You did your research.
As much as i'd like colston, i'd be hard to picture them drafting a wr since they are currently stacked up right now.

DraftBoy
04-13-2006, 08:58 AM
Hey, your comparisons are better than anything I can come up with. You did your research.
As much as i'd like colston, i'd be hard to picture them drafting a wr since they are currently stacked up right now.

Well this is the way I see it;

Evans
Price
Davis
Reed
Parrish
Aiken
Wilson
Smith

I can see us going for a WR late like Colston or Drouzen in rd 6 or 7 and seeing if they can either beat out one of the top 6 or putting them on the PS for a year, allocating them to NFLE and seeing what happens next season. A big benefit to us was the expansion of NFLE allocations from 5 to 7 a few seasons back. With 10 picks and maybe more coming in the Draft we can use those picks on development projects like Rouzen, Colston, Jackson, Meyer, or anybody I write about in these article and stowe them away for a full year and see how they look this time next season. I dont see us making a move for a WR to play this year but if there is somebody sitting around like Colston come our 1st 7th round pick, I have a hard time believing we pass on him. But thats just my opinion.

Kerr
04-14-2006, 07:18 AM
Draftboy

what do you think of badger wr jonathan orr?

Some say he could be chad johnson good.

The_Philster
04-14-2006, 07:20 AM
Personally, I like the NFL comparison stuff..sure they aren't all that accurate all the time but they'll give you a hint at what to hopefully expect of a guy you've never seen play

DraftBoy
04-14-2006, 11:03 AM
Draftboy

what do you think of badger wr jonathan orr?

Some say he could be chad johnson good.

I dont like him and Ill explain in more detail why later, Im in the process of heading home for Easter.

R. Rich
04-14-2006, 11:30 AM
No offense taken, I can give him some comparisons and I will attempt to in my next post but it is impossible to say X player will be just like Y player in the NFL. I could watch 20 hours of football each saturday and I still cant tell you who they are similar too. I really hate the comparison crap bc its all bs. However Ghost most of these players I have seen atleast 3-4 games of this year, aside from a few like Erik Meyer. Its my job at school to keep up with all the sports (do a 3x weekly sports radio talk show) so I watch alot and try and to keep away from all the main stream guys. As I do this for the site, I talk about alot of these guys on the radio too. None of you guys will be able to get it unless your around Milledgeville, Georgia. So while your right alot of what I say, in fact all of what I say is opinion based, its also bc Ive seen alot of these guys play on film, and I double check my stuff with the draft guides to make sure Im semi on par with the experts, bc I am not one, I just like to pretend I am.

I respect your opinions on these players, but you already know that as we've had plenty of draft related discussions in years past. As long as you watch enough football (I watch and tape plenty of games just so I can catch the prospects) and also do plenty of research (draft guides, college team websites, draft websites, even local/hometown news sites), you can have a pretty good idea of what these guys can and cannot do. It doesn't make you an expert; just a pretty well informed draft fan.

DraftBoy
04-14-2006, 08:18 PM
Jonathan Orr-
Orr while he has great speed and decent size is inconsistent as hell, and is an underacheiver. Some say its due to his system and how they love to pound the ball but I dont buy that this season. Orr also has an attitude problem when not included in the offense enough (there is your Chad Johnson). He gets lazy and will run mediocre routes with abd cuts. He is closer to Quincy Morgan than Chad Johnson imo. Hope that helps.

DraftBoy
04-14-2006, 08:20 PM
I respect your opinions on these players, but you already know that as we've had plenty of draft related discussions in years past. As long as you watch enough football (I watch and tape plenty of games just so I can catch the prospects) and also do plenty of research (draft guides, college team websites, draft websites, even local/hometown news sites), you can have a pretty good idea of what these guys can and cannot do. It doesn't make you an expert; just a pretty well informed draft fan.

Thank you. You are some of the ones whose opinion on prospects I will seek out and go read through threads. I appreciate the compliments.

Kerr
04-15-2006, 08:55 AM
Jonathan Orr-
Orr while he has great speed and decent size is inconsistent as hell, and is an underacheiver. Some say its due to his system and how they love to pound the ball but I dont buy that this season. Orr also has an attitude problem when not included in the offense enough (there is your Chad Johnson). He gets lazy and will run mediocre routes with abd cuts. He is closer to Quincy Morgan than Chad Johnson imo. Hope that helps.

:up: