PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Insider Article

DarbyTheDinosaur
04-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Can anybody (or has anybody) with ESPN.com Insider access post a summary of the article posted on the nfl page today? It is titled Team lacks proven performer at QB and it is about...drumroll...the Buffalo Bills. The article is by Keith Kidd, if that helps. Thanks!

LtBillsFan66
04-13-2006, 11:49 AM
You asking someone to commit a crime. How do we know this isn't a sting operation?

DarbyTheDinosaur
04-13-2006, 01:02 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear...I asked for a summary...one or two lines about the article was all I was looking for.

My bad.

Iehoshua
04-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Too late. We're all as good as arrested.
:(

DraftBoy
04-13-2006, 01:11 PM
Its nothing new, talks about instability at QB, doesnt know whats going on at WR and how that wont help the QB.

Interestingly though its the first publication Ive seen to indicate Clements may hold out.

ICE74129
04-13-2006, 01:13 PM
Its nothing new, talks about instability at QB, doesnt know whats going on at WR and how that wont help the QB.

Interestingly though its the first publication Ive seen to indicate Clements may hold out.

Oh I bet he does DB. He wants his money and I feel (opinion) that he is wanting out of Buffalo. He is young and can see the writing on the wall so to speak.

LtBillsFan66
04-13-2006, 02:43 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear...I asked for a summary...one or two lines about the article was all I was looking for.

My bad.
I'm just busting your balls man! :snicker:

Marvelous
04-13-2006, 02:53 PM
What happens when a tagged player holds out? We just trade his arse?

Bill Brasky
04-13-2006, 03:47 PM
As we close in on the upcoming NFL draft, the Buffalo Bills began preparation for the 2006 season with their first voluntary veteran mini-camp last weekend.

A lot of interesting and strange things have taken place in Buffalo with the roster since the hiring of general manager Marv Levy and head coach Dick Jauron. The Bills have been active this offseason, signing some low-tier unrestricted free agents. However, they also have released or traded some key contributors.

Let's take a look at three key areas that the Bills feel they have addressed so far this offseason:

Quarterbacks
When there are changes within an NFL organization starting with the head coach, every job in the organization and on the team is scrutinized from top to bottom. The quarterback position, being the most critical, is where head coach Dick Jauron and his staff started evaluating last weekend. If the Bills are going to improve their disappointing 5-11 record from last season, they must improve the performance and production behind center. Since the retirement of Jim Kelly, a Pro Football Hall of Famer, the Bills have yet to find their future franchise quarterback. Kelly, by the way, was coached by Marv Levy, who's now the team's general manager.

Kelly Holcomb
Quarterback
Buffalo Bills

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
Att Comp Yds TD Int Rat
230 155 1369 10 8 85.6
Craig Nall, formerly of the Packers, was signed by the Bills to compete for the starting quarterback position along with journeyman Kelly Holcomb and J.P. Losman. Nall has never been a starter in the NFL and has spent his entire career in a West Coast offensive system. Holcomb, an 11-year veteran, started eight games for the Bills last season but is best suited as a backup and has durability concerns. Losman is the wild card in this derby. The former first-round pick really struggled last season and has alienated his teammates in his first two years in Buffalo.

Offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild will have his hands full over the next five months determining which quarterback is capable of running his multiple-offensive system. Fairchild is a big believer in balance within his offense. However, in an effort to take some pressure off the quarterback, look for the Bills to rely heavily on running back Willis McGahee.

Unfortunately for Bills fans, there is no proven starting quarterback on the roster. Therefore the dilemma will continue to linger and be talked about throughout the spring and summer until a starter is named in late August.

Wide receivers
Four-time Pro Bowl selection Eric Moulds was traded to the Houston Texans for a fifth-round pick. He did not want to restructure his contract to stay in Buffalo. Moulds, who turns 33 in July, is still a highly productive player. He led the Bills last season with 81 receptions, 33 more than the team's No. 2 receiver, Lee Evans. Evans, the Bills' first-round pick in 2004 from Wisconsin, now becomes the Bills' No. 1 receiver. He will align at split end, opposite Josh Reed. Reed, who excelled last season in the Bills' multiple spread formations in the slot, will now be the second receiver at flanker.

Peerless Price
Wide Receiver
Buffalo Bills

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
Rec Yds TD Avg Long YAC
6 96 0 16.0 58 25
The surprising news this week was the re-signing of wide receiver Peerless Price to a reported four-year, $10 million deal. A second-round pick by the Bills in 1999, Price had his best year in the NFL playing opposite Moulds in 2002. However, he has underachieved since being traded to the Falcons in 2003 and was disappointing in the seven games he played for Dallas this past season. Price brings a veteran presence to this group, but has averaged just 38 receptions per season since leaving the Bills. At best, Price is basically a third receiver who can align at different positions in multiple sets.

The Bills recently signed unrestricted free agent Andre' Davis, who brings a unique vertical threat to the offense along with explosive playmaking possibilities. However, he has battled injuries. This is Davis' third team in his short NFL career, which could be cause for concern. Backup receivers Roscoe Parrish and Sam Aiken are young, inexperienced players who are still in the developmental stages of their careers. This will add even more pressure to an unstable quarterback position.

Secondary
The Bills finished 29th in the NFL in total defense last season, giving up 343.5 yards per game. The secondary, however, was one of the few bright spots on defense even though it finished 19th in the league, allowing 205.7 yards per game.

The first concern in the Bills' secondary is the possibility that unsigned franchise corner Nate Clements will be a contract holdout throughout the preseason. Clements was a no-show for the Bills' voluntary mini-camp and has lost valuable time learning the new defensive system that the Bills are implementing. In addition to this concern, the Bills must find a replacement for former starting strong safety Lawyer Milloy, who was released prior to the start of free agency. Milloy will be difficult to replace with his playing experience and tackle production (third on the team in tackles with 106).

Defensive coordinator Perry Fewell and secondary coach George Catavolos will be responsible for the task of finding a replacement for Milloy. Fifth-year player Coy Wire and newly signed free agent Matt Bowen from the Redskins started the evaluation process last week in mini-camp. Wire has been a backup player throughout his career, while Bowen was a starter early in his career. They're similar in that they are downhill players that can be effective near the line of scrimmage in the box. However, they both have limitations with their speed and range in deep zones.

Unrestricted free agent Kiwaukee Thomas was signed by the Bills to provide depth at corner. However, with the possible holdout of Clements, Thomas now finds himself in the mix for the starting right cornerback position, along with second-year player Eric King. Thomas is a veteran player who has played mostly in situational sub-defenses as a role player throughout his career, while Eric contributed as the third/fourth corner in the Bills' sub-defenses last season.

The good news for Bills fans is the draft is right around the corner. The Bills have 10 picks, three more than the norm and their most since 2002. However, Levy and his personnel staff, along with Jauron, will need to address a lot of needs on this football team before the start of training camp in late July.