• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WG
    Drew and Sam stole all my hair
    • Jul 2002

Why did we hire/offer-a-job to LeBeau?

I'm wondering why we hired him (assuming he takes the offer), quite frankly. His track record doesn't exactly scream out "playoffs", top-rated defenses, or anything else that says this guys a winner.

On top of that, they're now having to 'create' a position for him as well. Is this TD's way of having a "coaching practice squad" in case Gray doesn't ante-up this season? Or is this simply a TD "buddy hire", of which we know TD likes LeBeau personally?

Maybe TD is redefining the front-office in this league or even the coaching ranks.

In any case, I'm just perplexed a little bit.
    Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

• Pride
    • Jul 2002

I am for it if Gray goes, if Gray is staying, I question it too.

Too many chiefs, not enough indians is what will happen.

Comment

• Wys Guy
      • Jul 2002

I guess that's my point. I assume that if Gray was going to be fired, then it would have happened a while ago. I realize there's a split in whether or not Gray should go, but notwithstanding it simply isn't fair to him to wait much longer. He could get a job elsewhere and have a good head start if they are going to let him go. If they wait much longer, then it will make it tougher on Gray.

In any case, they've already said they weren't going to fire Gray, or at least strongly implied it. Given that, what role is LeBeau going to serve other than to undermine Gray?

Puzzling indeed. Again, and I realize that I'm in the minority on this, but WTH are his credentials? Leading the Bengals mostly, to the bottom half of the league in both record and D for most of his seasons? There was never any record of consistent improvement or anything like it, just an odd year where they were decent and two seasons in Pittsburgh where he had top D talent handed to him. I just don't see why he's construed as such an asset that we absolutely have to have him in here such that we undermine the respect of another coach(es), and have to create a position for him on top of it all.
      Last edited by WG; 02-06-2003, 07:35 AM.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Wys Guy
        Puzzling indeed. Again, and I realize that I'm in the minority on this, but WTH are his credentials?
        He was the best man at Donahoe's best freind's sister's uncle , brother's nephew's cousins wedding.
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Wys Guy
          • Jul 2002

Naturally! LOL

Pretty soon the FO is gonna have to start a new "program." It gives a whole new meaning to "Friends & Family", eh.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Dozerdog
            In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

I guess with that logic we should fire Modrak as well. Why have 2 GMs?

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

We want to hire him because he is a top notch defensive mind.

Wys- you have been harping (justifiably) for almost 18 months now about how this team needs to improve the defense. Here is an opportunity to do so.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                Legendary Zoner
                • Jul 2002

We can't fire Gray or Johnnie Cochrane will yell at us.

Comment

• Wys Guy
                  • Jul 2002

So what you're saying then is that you'd be happy w/ the D that Cincy has had for all these years or something slightly better than that, eh? B/c it surely hasn't been anything decent let alone superior at all. Then again, perhaps you construe Cincy as having been good.

Modrak is an entirely different deal. First of all, he's a management type and there's always room for a decent mind in management, especially one who has the respect of the league, players, and even fans.

Coaching is an entirely different thing altogether. It really isn't that much of a reach to see the difference here. There are only so many coaching spots and when teams start "creating positions" while the current D.C.'s butt is on the line, then there could be ramifications. What's next, two other of TD's buddies, past colleagues, or friends that we create more asst. positions for for whatever reasons TD seems to see fit?

Heck, why not go find the top 10 assts. and offer them all "undisclosed" positions too. That way every asst. coach on the team has a fire under his butt too!

Harping? Hardly. Just starting a conversation. :)

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                    We can't fire Gray or Johnnie Cochrane will yell at us.
                    LOL

Unless of course he takes a H.C. job somewhere...

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                      • Jul 2002

So what you're saying then is that you'd be happy w/ the D that Cincy has had for all these years or something slightly better than that, eh? B/c it surely hasn't been anything decent let alone superior at all. Then again, perhaps you construe Cincy as having been good.
                      So what I'm saying?

Where did I say anything like that?

The only things I want from the cincy Defense is their coach and their Linebacker. Looks like we got their D-Line guy. I did not say I wanted the other 10 losers.

Tom Donahoe recognizes talent when he sees it. If he knows of a guy who is a brilliant football mind who is out of work he will find a spot for them on the staff.

The whole Cincy Organization is :angry:ed up. Bill Parcells would not have made a difference. What is wrong with bringing in a 2 time Super Bowl DC (with 2 different teams) in as a consultant?

I guess we could dig up Lombardi's pine box........ oh wait, my bad. He was an offensive coordibnator/coach.

Comment

• TedMock
                        • Jul 2002

Wasn't he the DC in Cincy when they were good back in the mid and late 80's? I honestly don't recall how good or bad those D's were but I know the team went to 2 superbowls and got killed. Those I remember clearly. They had decent players, Krumrie being one. There was an outstanding linebacker in the middle, #57, but I can't for the life of me remember his name. If anybody has stats on those D's I'd be interested in seeing them.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

Let's go by how Lebeau did with Cincy. No one's gonna succeed with that organization. Let's go by TD's track record w/ putting a team together. Anyone see any negatives?
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• venis2k1
                            Youboty can hope
                            • Jul 2002

Sure Cincy's Team has sucked the past few years, but that is the GM's fault, not Dicks. As far as i know we arnt offering him a GM job. Look at this list:

Levi Jones(10th overall)
                            Justin Smith(4th overall)
                            Peter Warrick(4th overall)
                            Akili Smith (3rd overall)

These are The bengles last 4 1st round draft picks, 3 of them are top 4 picks!!!! and not a big name among them. its a tribute to Dick that he was able to get out of Cincy with 2 wins last year with the team he had.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TedMock
                              Wasn't he the DC in Cincy when they were good back in the mid and late 80's? I honestly don't recall how good or bad those D's were but I know the team went to 2 superbowls and got killed. Those I remember clearly. They had decent players, Krumrie being one. There was an outstanding linebacker in the middle, #57, but I can't for the life of me remember his name. If anybody has stats on those D's I'd be interested in seeing them.
                              He was a DB coach on the 1981 team that went to the SB vs the 49ers- the Bengals had close to 30 interceptions that season.

He was DC on the 1988 SB team that lost to the 49ers again- that D gave up 13 points over 59:30 of that game to one of the most powerful O's in NFL history. They lost 20-16 in the final seconds. Hardly a blowout.

When Wyche left, so did LeBeau. He went to the Steelers as DB coach, and they had 65-70 INts in 3 seasons he was the DB's coach. Moved to Coordinator and the Steelers went to the SB again. Probably would have defeated the Cowboys but Niel O'Donnel threw 2 picks- one returned for a TD, the other returned inside the Steeler 20. That's 14 points the Cowboy's O were handed in a close game. Otherwise, the Steelers D only gave up 13 to a Cowboys team that scored 81 points in 2 previous SB's.

Comment

Working...
                              X