• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • socalfan
    Old Fogey from Cali
    • Feb 2003

My last post on the Revenue Sharing

I've come to the position that the only shared revenue should be from TV rights. I do not believe ticket revenues should be shared. I do not think naming rights to stadium should be shared. I do not think merchandizing should be shared.

But at the same time I think costs should also not be shared. I think each team pays into a single fund 59.5% of their revenues. That money is then used to fund player contracts to the CAP level set for each team.

This contrary to general public belief is not what happens now.

It would work like this. If the Bills make 100 dollars in revenues apart from TV revenues then they contribute $59.50 to the fund. If the Deadskins generate 1 billion in revenue apart from the TV revenues, they contribute $595 million to the fund.

That to me is what the teams agreed to when they said yes to the 59.5% of revenues to be shared with the players in the new CBA.
  • Saratoga Slim
    • Jul 2005

Re: My last post on the Revenue Sharing

interesting. like our IRS pro-rated tax structure. you make more, you pay more.

it would solve the problem of small market teams not wanting to maximize revenue for fear of getting bumped out of the revenue sharing pool.

I'll vote for it. but good luck getting it passed.
    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

I think you're right, socal. If NFL teams are not pooling and sharing all revenues AND costs, they should do it your way. The current system will eventially lead to the demise of small market teams.

But try to get the Jerry Joneses and Daniel Snyders of this world to accept your proposal.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Dozerdog
        In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

What would prevent teams from selling tickets at $1 ?

Comment

• socalfan
          Old Fogey from Cali
          • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Dozerdog
          What would prevent teams from selling tickets at $1 ?
          The teams get to keep all of the ticket money...except the part the goes into the fund. General tickets would be treated the way luxury seating and boxes are treated. If the teams aren't selling those for a dollar now why would they sell general seating for a dollar.....but in any event I don't see that it makes any difference since teams only make money from the tv rights and their own revenues. If they wanted to give away seats let them....It is their loss.

Comment

• socalfan
            Old Fogey from Cali
            • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
            But try to get the Jerry Joneses and Daniel Snyders of this world to accept your proposal.

Are you saying that the fat cats only agreed to the CBA and 59.5% sharing of revenue because they new it would take advantage of the small revenue teams?? Are you saying that the large revenue teams would view the 59.5% as unreasonable as Ralph does now???

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              • May 2003

Originally posted by socalfan
              Are you saying that the fat cats only agreed to the CBA and 59.5% sharing of revenue because they new it would take advantage of the small revenue teams?? Are you saying that the large revenue teams would view the 59.5% as unreasonable as Ralph does now???
              Your proposal is very much like our progressive federal income tax system, which is not popular - nor should it be - with the wealthy.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                • May 2003

Your proposal is very much like our progressive federal income tax system, which is not popular - nor should it be - with the wealthy.
                No, I'm wrong. It's like a flat tax, but the rate is too high.

Comment

• socalfan
                  Old Fogey from Cali
                  • Feb 2003

No, I'm wrong. It's like a flat tax, but the rate is too high.
                  Ralph agrees with you...the rates too high.

I on the other hand think that since 30 of the owners didn't think so and voted yes. Then they should be willing to give up 59.5% of their revenue to the fund for the players CAP.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                    Roways rooking ahread!
                    • Sep 2005

What they need to do is charge us $100 a ticket and give us unlimited beer. The lines for the bathroom and beer would be long and no one will watch the games anyways.

Comment

• socalfan
                      Old Fogey from Cali
                      • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Skooby
                      What they need to do is charge us $100 a ticket and give us unlimited beer. The lines for the bathroom and beer would be long and no one will watch the games anyways.
                      With the way they played last year...this could be the best way to get return business.

Comment

Working...
                      X