• Bill Brasky
    Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
    • Jan 2004

Snyder has more than Ralph to worry about

His own fans are turning on him...

-----------------------

Greed of the Burgundy and Gold
    Thursday, April 13, 2006; Page A20

When the Washington Redskins kick off against the Minnesota Vikings on Monday Night Football, it will mark the first time in 40 years that neither my father nor I will be in the stands. Redskins season tickets have been in my family since the 1960s, but as a single parent and a teacher, I can no longer afford them.

When my father passed the tickets to me in 1997, the season tickets cost $440. The bill for this year: $2,100.

The upper deck used to be called the cheap seats. Now it's just the upper deck. My reward for supporting the team through the Norv Turner era, the Marty Schottenheimer year and the glory of Steve Spurrier is to be priced out of my seats. And my understanding is that the Redskins were the most profitable franchise in the NFL before this increase.

At RFK Stadium I sat next to the same people for 30 years. I knew them and their kids by their first names. Yet so many tickets are scalped now that any sense of community is gone. The high cost of tickets necessitates people selling some of theirs off.

Shouldn't the owner of the most profitable team in the NFL focus on creating a winning environment? How about showing some love for what he calls "the most loyal and dedicated fans in all of sports"?

From obstructed-view seats, to denying pedestrian access to the stadium, to $35 parking and $8 beer, to charging admission to view practice, to trying to restrict season-ticket purchases to a Redskins credit card, Daniel Snyder seems intent on bleeding the cash cow dry. Redskins fans have always been loyal and dedicated. It's too bad the same cannot be said of the team owner.

I may bleed burgundy, but I'm afraid I'm bled out. I wish the Redskins had an owner who cared more about the burgundy and gold and less about the green.

STEVE RAGSDALE

Bethesda

When the Washington Redskins kick off against the Minnesota Vikings on Monday Night Football, it will mark the first time in 40 years that neither my father nor I will be in the stands. Redskins season tickets have been in my family since the 1960s, but as a single parent and a teacher, I can no...
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Re: Snyder has more than Ralph to worry about

$2100? Holy !!
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Bill Brasky
      • Jan 2004

And you had people on this board *****ing about the $2 increase.

Knowing what some of the Giants fans at work pay for their tickets you will never hear me complaining about the prices Bills fans pay.

It boggles my mind to hear some people still complain about what they pay to go to the Ralph. Some people don't realize that Bills fans literally have it made... now if the team would just win...

Comment

• Mitchy moo
        Roways rooking ahread!
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by The_Philster
        $2100? Holy !!
        $262.50 average cost per ticket?? Ouch.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

Snyder's a greedy little bastard.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Voltron
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jfreeman
            And you had people on this board *****ing about the $2 increase.

Knowing what some of the Giants fans at work pay for their tickets you will never hear me complaining about the prices Bills fans pay.

It boggles my mind to hear some people still complain about what they pay to go to the Ralph. Some people don't realize that Bills fans literally have it made... now if the team would just win...
            I appreciate the fact that the Bills have the cheapest Seats in the NFL but to compare NYC and DC to Buffalo is a bit of a stretch. I would bet the average income of a season ticket holder in NYC or DC would be 2 to 3 times the average income of a Bills Season ticket holder. Let’s also not forget that a capitalist economy runs on supply and demand. There is simply WAY more people that both the Giants and Redskins have as perspective season ticket holders and therefore ticket prices can be set higher.

As they say in Realestate.... Location, Location, Location
            Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything.
            - Frank Dane

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
            -Thomas Jefferson

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
            - Mark Twain

Comment

• socalfan
              Old Fogey from Cali
              • Feb 2003

His own fans are turning on him...

Excuse my french, but he doesn't give a *****.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                Peterman Sucks!
                • Mar 2006

On no....2 people walk away. Shucks, darn, dammit, oh snap.

They walk away and are replaced by 2 other people, Snyder knows this, every owner knows this. Do you think Snyder gives a shake about these people not renewing? Not a chance. What he does know is someone else will gladly take those seats, and that is all that matters.

Works the same with every team and would work here as well...say the tickets between the 30s were 700 now instead of 470...what would happen? Sure some people would cancel their tickets, but there is a waiting list, there would be plenty of people that would snatch the tickets to offset the loss. Apparently Ralph hasn't figured that much out yet.

And by the way Skooby, your math is wrong....It's based on 10 games-preseason included-same as here....210 a game.

And oh yeah, don't forget along with the cheap seats there is no PSLs for income for Ralph either. So complaining about a 2 dollar increase from some of the fanbase is rather pety.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Voltron
                  I appreciate the fact that the Bills have the cheapest Seats in the NFL but to compare NYC and DC to Buffalo is a bit of a stretch. I would bet the average income of a season ticket holder in NYC or DC would be 2 to 3 times the average income of a Bills Season ticket holder. Let’s also not forget that a capitalist economy runs on supply and demand. There is simply WAY more people that both the Giants and Redskins have as perspective season ticket holders and therefore ticket prices can be set higher.

As they say in Realestate.... Location, Location, Location
                  You're assuming that everybody in NYC makes a million dollars a year, which isn't the case... those that do buy the boxes and sideline seats.

There's a good majority of fans that make between 40-50k... that's a little less than twice as much as you might make in BUF or WNY... but their ticket prices are sometimes 5x greater than Buffalo's

Comment

• Voltron
                    • Jul 2002

You're assuming that everybody in NYC makes a million dollars a year, which isn't the case... those that do buy the boxes and sideline seats.

There's a good majority of fans that make between 40-50k... that's a little less than twice as much as you might make in BUF or WNY... but their ticket prices are sometimes 5x greater than Buffalo's
                    Well I wasn't assuming that every one in NYC is a millionaire because I was talking about the "average income", meaning the average of all the incomes of every season ticket holder. I think it would be a no-brainer to point out that there is going to be a much greater % of rich people with season tickets in NYC then in Buffalo. Now add into the equation that the people in the NYC area that would be considered “rich” or “well to do” in NYC could live like a king in WNY with the same income (although a statistical impossibility).
                    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything.
                    - Frank Dane

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
                    -Thomas Jefferson

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
                    - Mark Twain

Comment

• The_Philster
                      • Jul 2002

There isn't a waiting list in Buffalo, FunTimesYaY! If people can afford season tix and they want them, they'll go
                      The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                        Peterman Sucks!
                        • Mar 2006

Between the 30s there is....my friend has endzone tickets and looked into upgrading to between the 30s when he found out they cost 40 bucks more a year....he was told there was a list for those seats. Unless, he is lying to me.

Comment

• The_Philster
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                          Between the 30s there is....my friend has endzone tickets and looked into upgrading to between the 30s when he found out they cost 40 bucks more a year....he was told there was a list for those seats. Unless, he is lying to me.
                          ahh.ok...as far as upgrades, yeah...but overall, there isn't a waiting list for seasons in Buffalo like there is in some places

Comment

• Dont drink the water
                            • Oct 2005

There isn't a waiting list in Buffalo, FunTimesYaY! If people can afford season tix and they want them, they'll go
                            There is a waiting list, or there would be if the Bills kept one, for some of the lower seats. They ought to have more tiers and raise some more money. The NFL is actually going to penalize Ralph for trying to fill the stadium with such sections as the Rockpile.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                              Peterman Sucks!
                              • Mar 2006

ahh.ok...as far as upgrades, yeah...but overall, there isn't a waiting list for seasons in Buffalo like there is in some places

Yeah that was my point....Ralph could raise the lower bowl between the 30s to at least 650 a year, if not more, and still get the same amount of people in those seats each week. Plus gain more revenue. While some fans would hate this idea, others wouldn't care and/or understand. Maybe it takes a winning season to pull it off though.

Comment

Working...
                              X