PDA

View Full Version : Promising news!!!!

Bill Brasky
04-13-2006, 03:55 PM
I think this really helps the Bills stay here...

An article published today in the Buffalo News outlines the rules for purchasing a team:

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060413/1017842.asp?tbd1017842.asp

...NFL rules say an individual must own a 35 percent stake in a team to have a controlling interest, which means a local buyer would be able to bring in partners to help pay for the purchase.

Bill Brasky
04-13-2006, 04:05 PM
If recent figures are correct, showing the Bills to be worth about $708 Million, this means one buyer could pay $247.8 Million to essentially own the team, with a couple other buyers owning a lesser stake.

Even so, if 2 guys go in 50/50, that still means that they both pony up 350$ and some change... I think WNY has a few people that could afford to do this.

THATHURMANATOR
04-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Get Jacobs, Tom G, and Bob rich going on this!

Night Train
04-13-2006, 04:18 PM

Several years ago, there was a gentlemans agreement with those mentioned above and more. It was discussed at the time County Exec. Dennis Gorski and Ralph agreed upon the current lease at the stadium, which raised fears that once the yearly buyout kicked in,the team would bolt.

The agreement was that Ralph would talk to them before he ever considered leaving. They wanted the team here.

Now comes the CBA mess. If that can get straightened out, talks will happen.

Jan Reimers
04-13-2006, 04:47 PM
I agree, and have said that all along. But I really wonder if 3 big ego guys - each accustomed to running his own show - could work in partnership.

socalfan
04-13-2006, 04:54 PM
...........NFL rules say an individual must own a 35 percent stake in a team to have a controlling interest, which means a local buyer would be able to bring in partners to help pay for the purchase.

It does nothing for the Bills. It simply exists so that you don't have every Tom, dick and Harry trying to give his opinion about what should happen with the Packers. Only the people that with a substantial number of stock get some say.

Kelly The Dog
04-13-2006, 05:11 PM
Even though it is not new, it does a helluva lot for the Bills. Conventional thinking was that NFL Franchises were outrageously expensive and not more than 2-3 people total in Buffalo could afford to buy the team. No one but Golisano had 700 million. But if the owner only had to buy one-third of the team to be the controlling partner and "owner" without having to own the whole team, suddenly several other potential people could enter the fray, and just align a team of investors from anywhere in the country for limited parcels of ownership. These people wouldn't have much or any say in the decisions of the team and nor would they expect to, knowing how things work. In Phoenix, Jerry Colangelo was "Managing Partner" of the Arizona Diamondbacks and made all decisions even though he didn't put up much money, and there was a group of 2-3 DOZEN owners that ponied up the franchise fee.

Furthermore, a guy like Golisano or Wegman or Jacobs would much more likely put up 250 million versus 700 million to lessen the risk.

mysticsoto
04-13-2006, 05:35 PM
Alright, so who's starting the collection at Billszone.com to buy out the Bills?

Night Train
04-13-2006, 05:41 PM
Alright, so who's starting the collection at Billszone.com to buy out the Bills?

Finally, a use for " Zonebucks " . :D

socalfan
04-13-2006, 05:42 PM
Even though it is not new, it does a helluva lot for the Bills. Conventional thinking was that NFL Franchises were outrageously expensive and not more than 2-3 people total in Buffalo could afford to buy the team. No one but Golisano had 700 million. But if the owner only had to buy one-third of the team to be the controlling partner and "owner" without having to own the whole team, suddenly several other potential people could enter the fray, and just align a team of investors from anywhere in the country for limited parcels of ownership. These people wouldn't have much or any say in the decisions of the team and nor would they expect to, knowing how things work. In Phoenix, Jerry Colangelo was "Managing Partner" of the Arizona Diamondbacks and made all decisions even though he didn't put up much money, and there was a group of 2-3 DOZEN owners that ponied up the franchise fee.

Furthermore, a guy like Golisano or Wegman or Jacobs would much more likely put up 250 million versus 700 million to lessen the risk.

This is not a new rule, it has existed for a very long time. It does nothing for the Bills. Do you seriously think it is easier to convince a dozen people it is a good investment instead of just one? Do you think it is easier for 12 people to loose money rather than one?

Whoever the NFL sells the franchise to, that is who they will sell it to....they afterall do have veto power over a planned purchase.

Kelly The Dog
04-13-2006, 05:54 PM
I think you're completely ignoring the major reason why people buy NFL and pro sports franchises. It is not to make money. They don';t wish to lose money. Some go out of their way to make money. But the vast majority of owners in the four major sports do it for ego and status and fun and the perks and the publicity and glamour of it. If they wanted to make money, you would invest in 100 other better money making ventures than owning a major league sports franchise.

I work in the film industry. There is no end to people wanting to invest in and produce films. But it is one of the very worst businesses you can possibly be in if you wish to make money. Sure, they all want their films to make money, but they are there for the glamour and ego and chicks and to tell people they are film producers. And it's the same for pro sports owners. Tom Golisano didn't buy the Sabres to make money, even though he is going to run the business to make money. He did it to save the franchise, to be the savior of his little fifedom and for the ego boost of being a professional sports owner. He could have found 1000 other companies where his 40-50 million investment would have made more money if that was his objective.

And yes, I very much think it is easier to get 12 people to pay 700 million than it is one person. A lot easier. And it is 100 times easier to find them elsewhere in the country than in Western New York.

ICE74129
04-13-2006, 06:15 PM
"Just three weeks ago, he said, he spoke with Tagliabue, who told him that the new NFL labor agreement is good for the Bills and other small-market teams and that Wilson doesn't understand it."

More proof Wilson doesn't understand squat. Time for this guy to sell

socalfan
04-13-2006, 06:17 PM
I think you're completely ignoring the major reason why people buy NFL and pro sports franchises. It is not to make money. .............

Say what? NO ONE spends 700 million with the expectation of loosing money. I have to think you don't own a business.

Dozerdog
04-13-2006, 06:45 PM
I hope if Jeremy Jacobs get in this, he's a minority investor only.

That guy is hated in Boston for what he's done with the Bruins the past 25 years

Bill Brasky
04-14-2006, 01:54 PM
That guy is hated in Boston for what he's done with the Bruins the past 25 years

that's not surprising at all

X-Era
04-14-2006, 04:14 PM
I think this really helps the Bills stay here...

An article published today in the Buffalo News outlines the rules for purchasing a team:

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060413/1017842.asp?tbd1017842.asp

...NFL rules say an individual must own a 35 percent stake in a team to have a controlling interest, which means a local buyer would be able to bring in partners to help pay for the purchase.

Promising news!!!!

"I will never die". from Team America.

Im assuming THATS the promising news. now sleep with him.