PDA

View Full Version : Ralph and his Don Quixote de La Mancha impression

G. Host
04-14-2006, 04:54 AM
If you have not seen the musical you may not grasp the analogy but here it goes:

In the play "Man of La Mancha" he and his squire have been captured by the Spanish Inquisition (gang of eight) and is harrased by his fellow prison inmates (fellow owners) and he tells them a tale of Don Quixote who is a wandering Spanish nobleman doing quests while in reality he is sick and dying and of his Impossible Quest.

In this case the Impossible Quest is a NFL which can sustain both poorer, smaller market teams and richer, larger market teams while at same time keeping the NFLPA at bay. NFLPA insists on 'parity' but what they are seeking as large as percentage of the pie as possible even though by taking such large portion of the pie which cripple some teams. As long as the possibity exists of a team moving the NFLPA does not care - their goal is their members NOT football.

Ralph, like the Don Quixote, is dying and is embarassing his "family" by these antics but this is the only way he can get the attention needed to prevent Bills from becoming a lost tale. It maybe impossible to fight those windmills but maybe he can put them off for a couple of decades as a legacy.

It is the mission of each true knight...
His duty... nay, his privilege!
To dream the impossible dream,
To fight the unbeatable foe,
To bear with unbearable sorrow
To run where the brave dare not go;
To right the unrightable wrong.

To love, pure and chaste, from afar,
To try, when your arms are too weary,
To reach the unreachable star!

This is my Quest to follow that star,
No matter how hopeless, no matter how far,
To fight for the right
Without question or pause,
To be willing to march into hell
For a heavenly cause!

And I know, if I'll only be true
To this glorious Quest,
That my heart will lie peaceful and calm
When I'm laid to my rest.

And the world will be better for this,
That one man, scorned and covered with scars,
Still strove, with his last ounce of courage,
To reach the unreachable stars!

I can not sing worth a damn but I helped produce this play in high school and it is a very, very difficult play to produce. It requires a tremendious orchestra and good actors to pull it off. One of the actresses from school, Dina Corsetti, works in Broadway. Some of the songs are so memoriable I "sing" the words in my sleep.

Ralph ten years ago would have the ability to rally the old school teams around the flag but now he doesn't so he goes on this crusade to get enough attention to the issue.

Captain gameboy
04-14-2006, 05:51 AM
I like the Gordon Lightfoot "Don Qxiote" version better.

Here's the part about Ralph:

"Reaching for his saddlebag
He takes a tarnished cross into his hand
Then standing like a preacher now
He shouts across the ocean to the shore
Then in a blaze of tangled hooves
He gallops off across the dusty plain
In vain to search again
Where no one will hear "

ICE74129
04-14-2006, 06:41 AM
Ralph just needs to sell and to back to detroit or florida. Whichever of his homes I don't care

G. Host
04-16-2006, 12:55 PM
Leo Roth used a Don Quixote reference this weekend:
That's why Wilson is fighting the good fight. He may look like Don Quixote. But he's not jousting at windmills.
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200604160500/SPORTS0103/604160337&template=printart