For the Bills to stay, a new stadium is needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nighthawk
    Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
    • Jul 2002

For the Bills to stay, a new stadium is needed.

What would everybody like to see, when and if this day comes? I personally think it is coming very soon and as soon as a new owner buys the team. I would like to see a retractable roof stadium that is built downtown. Included in the building should be a convention center, thus the city gets what it has needed for years. This city will never see another "one use" stadium, so I'm pretty sure that we will see some kind of roof on the next stadium. A multi-function facility is the only way something will get built here. Let's face it, the Ralph has seen it's day and it is time to move in another direction. There will not be a new owner who will come in and not expect a new stadium.

So, let's have some fun and throw around some ideas. Again, just have fun with it!
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Re: For the Bills to stay, a new stadium is needed.

That sounds cool man! I am for whatever keeps the Bills in Buffalo. Keep in mind this thread will start a huge argument from all the *****ers!!!!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

I have always liked the idea of a dowtown waterfront stadium. Combined with the other projects either planned or actually underway, it would really help revitalize Buffalo's inner harbor.

The complex should include not only a convention center, but a hotel and a shopping/entertainment/restaurant area.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Mski
        • Mar 2006

i think the new stadium(and i really think we will get one) will be on the site of what is now the skyway, the county has already gotten federal aid to raize the skyway, it will be near dunn tire park and hsbc, and close enough to the train to no where that will make it a good location, they are already talking about building a convention center/hotel complex there, i do think they will be un-attached to the new stadium however.

i would like to see an open field/covered seating set up though similar to what they have in dallas, however building something like that would take away too much of the "homefield advantage" for a buffalo football team. the most likely canidate will be something similar to what they built in pitt, with one end mostly open and a huge LCD scoreboard with a smaller one accompanying it on the other endzone, also the player entrances behind the benches, not through the tunnel... there would also likely be a small wrap around full motion/color scoreboard similar to the one at hsbc
        RIP Tommy D!
        12/25/1978-9/9/2008

If you make something "Idiot-proof", they'll only make better idiots!

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

A new baseball stadium and a new hockey arena were supposed to revitalize downtown. If those two projects had the desired results that were proferred when they were constructed, why are we still talking about revitalizing downtown? Shouldn't it already be done by now? If those two projects didn't have the effect on downtown they were supposed to, why would a football stadium be any different?

I like the Ralph...open air, good turf, easy parking, nice fieldhouse, loud as hell when the fans are into it, etc.

Having said all that, and in the spirit of the thread if we were to get a new stadium...no domes, open air only..."deep bowl" construction, configured to naturally enhance crowd noise...close to the waterfront...jammed full of luxury suites...architecturally designed from an aesthetics standpoint - it really should emphasize the city's look and feel, and revel in it's history. When someone walks into the new stadium, it should scream Buffalo.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

In order to justify a new stadium, a major influx of new business in Buffalo would have to happen. Plus that whole funding issue.

A new stadiium would have twice as many premium seats and the stadium wouldn't be built unless 100 % of those seats were already sold. Since most all of the suites are corporate sales,that doesn't look realistic.

The premium seats at the Ralph took a huge effort to sell, back in 1998. I know there is a waiting list for club seats now, but not the suites where the real big $$ is.

The Ralph is fine and is not the real issue at hand right now.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• ICE74129
              Legendary Zoner
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
              A new baseball stadium and a new hockey arena were supposed to revitalize downtown. If those two projects had the desired results that were proferred when they were constructed, why are we still talking about revitalizing downtown? Shouldn't it already be done by now? If those two projects didn't have the effect on downtown they were supposed to, why would a football stadium be any different?

I like the Ralph...open air, good turf, easy parking, nice fieldhouse, loud as hell when the fans are into it, etc.

Having said all that, and in the spirit of the thread if we were to get a new stadium...no domes, open air only..."deep bowl" construction, configured to naturally enhance crowd noise...close to the waterfront...jammed full of luxury suites...architecturally designed from an aesthetics standpoint - it really should emphasize the city's look and feel, and revel in it's history. When someone walks into the new stadium, it should scream Buffalo.
              Screaming Buffalo is why there is a problem as is. Buffalo needs to change it's image greatly.

Put a retractable roof on that puppy and bid for a damn superbowl! Buffalo wants money? Get a superbowl up there and see how much money comes in

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                Unreachable Douche
                • Jul 2002

A Super Bowl in Buffalo? Never happen.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  • May 2003

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
                  You lack what many ordinary citizens and politicians in WNY lack: Vision.

You need to think big and dream big to accomplish anything worthwhile in life. Those who are defeated before they even start are doomed to failure.
                  Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Don't Panic
                    All-Pro Zoner
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
                    It's funny... I worked the game in Detroit in February for ABC and I was talking to the regulars about how shocking it was that Detroit got the game. They all unanimously agreed that the one place the Super Bowl would never be held was Buffalo! This was, of course, before I told them I was from there. I have to agree... even with a dome, we're never going to get the Super Bowl. Of course, at this point, I'd just be happy to keep the team in town.

Comment

• ICE74129
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by bwbrenton
                      It's funny... I worked the game in Detroit in February for ABC and I was talking to the regulars about how shocking it was that Detroit got the game. They all unanimously agreed that the one place the Super Bowl would never be held was Buffalo! This was, of course, before I told them I was from there. I have to agree... even with a dome, we're never going to get the Super Bowl. Of course, at this point, I'd just be happy to keep the team in town.
                      Why in Town. Its pretty much a given Buffalo can't support the team. 'But ICE you dont' understand...' Sure I do. Either pay the increased ticket prices and business pay the increased luxury box prices, and a some business pony's up the money for naming rights to the stadium....or they leave.

Comment

• Don't Panic
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ICE74129
                        Why in Town. Its pretty much a given Buffalo can't support the team. 'But ICE you dont' understand...' Sure I do. Either pay the increased ticket prices and business pay the increased luxury box prices, and a some business pony's up the money for naming rights to the stadium....or they leave.
                        I've never been a fan of selling the name of the stadium, but in this case, screw it. If it means the team stays then it's a no-brainer.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          • May 2003

I've never been a fan of selling the name of the stadium, but in this case, screw it. If it means the team stays then it's a no-brainer.
                          I can envision Paychex Park or SportsService Stadium, as a way to start easing Golisano or Jacobs into the process.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                            You lack what many ordinary citizens and politicians in WNY lack: Vision.

You need to think big and dream big to accomplish anything worthwhile in life. Those who are defeated before they even start are doomed to failure.
                            Excellent post! I couldn't agree more!

Comment

• Nighthawk
                              • Jul 2002

Well, I've never been a fan of hearing an Owner b!tch about money, when he doesn't do everything possible to maximize the potential money he can make!

Comment

Working...
                              X