PDA

View Full Version : Bills interested in Dwight Smith?

G. Host
04-15-2006, 01:10 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9376416/2
--Even before the Saints signed Dallas safety Keith Davis to a two-year offer sheet as a restricted free agent, they were shopping safety Dwight Smith around the league. Word is they're asking for a third-round pick for Smith, who was signed last yeas as an unrestricted free agent from Tampa Bay.

One team in need of safety help interested in Smith is Buffalo. The Bills released veteran Lawyer Milloy, and he signed with Atlanta. That leaves Coy Wire and Matt Bowen battling to fill his job. They're not exactly the two swiftest players, so Smith, who runs better than both of those players, makes sense. Smith played well for the Saints last year, his first with the team. He can tackle, and as a former corner, he has quality cover skills. Getting him would be a good move for the Bills.

Netting a third round pick after one year signing of a UFA? How much of a bonus are they swallowing? He played in Tampa so he can play Cover 2.

ublinkwescore
04-15-2006, 01:14 PM
Makes sense - then we wouldn't have to worry about Huff maybe - and Coy Wire's cover skills are atrocious.

Philagape
04-15-2006, 01:17 PM
I'd take him over Bowen

ICE74129
04-15-2006, 01:20 PM
I said this in another thread, If the Bills feel he is an upgrade, go for it. We have two 3rds. That just makes safety a deep position with our depth.

Tatonka
04-15-2006, 01:57 PM
if they are asking a 3rd, i would offer a 5th and stick to that.. no one else in this league is going to give them a 3rd.. no way, no how.

ICE74129
04-15-2006, 02:14 PM
if they are asking a 3rd, i would offer a 5th and stick to that.. no one else in this league is going to give them a 3rd.. no way, no how. Offer the 5th and see if they bite. I don't think we will get a more ready to play now guy with the 1st overall in the 5th do you? Good call T

patmoran2006
04-15-2006, 02:29 PM
Personally, I"d rather draft a safety if we want to go that route on day one.. I really think Pat Watkins would be a GREAT safety on this defense.

J TES
04-15-2006, 02:30 PM
I said this in another thread, If the Bills feel he is an upgrade, go for it. We have two 3rds. That just makes safety a deep position with our depth.
How exactly does that make safety a deep position? Dwight Smith is a good/far from great safety. Matt Bowen is a very good special teamer/ not good starter. Coy Wire sucks and Troy Vincent....is getting old quick. So if you ask me, if Dwight Smith is added that makes one starting safety, one decent backup/yet good special teamer, one crappy safety/yet decent specail teamer, one well past his prime mentor and a young prospect in Baker. Far from "deep".

patmoran2006
04-15-2006, 02:34 PM
I agree with you J TES in terms that just because you have a bunch of players at a spot means you have "depth".. It could very easily mean you have a bunch of bums.

But I do disagree with you about our safeties, with the exception of Wire, Who I think is just awful.

I would LOVE to upgrade at this spot, and I think round 2 of the draft (Watkins, Bullocks) would be a great time, or POSsiBLY even Huff in round one.

But Bowens and Baker aren't that bad, and yes Vincent is getting old but this defense should fit him pretty well.

I"m not keen on making this trade either.. but I dont think safety is a very big weakness for us either, in comparision to a few other spots (G and DT)

G. Host
04-15-2006, 08:00 PM
Looks like Saints will keep safety.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2409253
Cowboys match offer sheet, retain FS Davis
The Dallas Cowboys on Friday evening retained starting free safety Keith Davis, matching the restricted free agent offer sheet that the three-year veteran signed with the New Orleans Saints earlier this week.

By matching the offer sheet, Dallas inherits the terms of the two-year deal Davis signed, a contract that is worth slightly more than $3 million. The contract includes a roster bonus of $1.2 million this season and a 2006 base salary of $825,000. The base salary for 2007 is $925,000.

Kerr
04-15-2006, 08:50 PM
deja vu.