PDA

View Full Version : Should the Bills shop Clements?

shelby
04-15-2006, 06:55 PM
The best route the Bills could take as of this moment is to shop their No. 1 cornerback around to see if any team is interested in giving up a late first-round draft choice for him. Teams such as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at No. 23 overall, the New York Jets at No. 29 overall and the Pittsburgh Steelers with the 32nd choice all may have interest in talking with the Bills.

link (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/buffalo-bills-clements130406.php)

Thoughts?

casdhf
04-15-2006, 06:58 PM
I agree 100%

casdhf
04-15-2006, 06:59 PM
The cover two system doesnt need a shut down corner to work. We could pick up a DT or OT late, allowing us to take the best player at 8

DraftBoy
04-15-2006, 07:01 PM
Wouldnt mind a fishing expedition

The_Philster
04-15-2006, 07:02 PM
No..while he had a bad year last year, that can be attributed in part to the system. He played off the LOS a good portion of the time, a method which allowed the WRs to get a free release and enabled them a better opportunity to beat the coverage.
They say that those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. While Antoine Winfield wasn't a Pro Bowler in 2005 for the Vikes, he did bounce back from his poor performance his final season in Buffalo. That final season in Buffalo saw him playing off the LOS almost all the time. Ohio State, as much as it pains me to say this as a Penn State fan, has a history of producing solid CBs for the NFL. While Winfield didn't deserve the money he got in Minnesota, he was certainly good enough for us to attempt to keep. Letting another Ohio State CB go wouldn't be a good move, IMO

Night Train
04-15-2006, 07:12 PM
The Bills are worried about the current CBA and some expect Nate to get a satisfactory long term contract with a 12-18 Mil signing bonus ? Riiiiiiiight.

I'm a huge Ohio St. fan and I'd trade him for seeking a contract far above his true value. He's good but NOT THAT GOOD ! This is a draft loaded with talented CB depth.

Pick up a first or second round pick and turn the page if you believe he won't sign long term and will be a distraction.

DraftBoy
04-15-2006, 07:14 PM
No..while he had a bad year last year, that can be attributed in part to the system. He played off the LOS a good portion of the time, a method which allowed the WRs to get a free release and enabled them a better opportunity to beat the coverage.
They say that those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. While Antoine Winfield wasn't a Pro Bowler in 2005 for the Vikes, he did bounce back from his poor performance his final season in Buffalo. That final season in Buffalo saw him playing off the LOS almost all the time. Ohio State, as much as it pains me to say this as a Penn State fan, has a history of producing solid CBs for the NFL. While Winfield didn't deserve the money he got in Minnesota, he was certainly good enough for us to attempt to keep. Letting another Ohio State CB go wouldn't be a good move, IMO

I dont agree with this at all, bc we are again using the coaches as a scape goat but to each his own. Im prepared to let him go strictly based on his attitude. Especially if he plans to hold out.

The_Philster
04-15-2006, 07:19 PM
Sometimes, the schemes really are at fault primarily, though :idunno:

Turf
04-15-2006, 07:23 PM
He didn't show me anything to indicate he's worth 7.2 million a year last year, or the year before for that matter, let alone a 15+ million dollar signing bonus. No way.

Bill Brasky
04-15-2006, 07:33 PM
I don't think shopping Nate is out of the question here. Maybe they move him on draft day for a guy that is drafted in the low 1st (which would be a stretch) or 2nd/3rd round.

He is, IMO, very overrated, yet highly regarded around the league. That being said, the Bills should be able to get something of high value for him. Though the way the FO has operated lately, that might be in question.

If they want to shop him, the time is now... not 2 or 3 seasons from now. They're already in rebuilding mode, they've cut all ties with a lot of the dead cap-eating wieght on the team, I could see them trying to move him.

G. Host
04-15-2006, 07:34 PM
I do not think Bills should trade Clements to Jets and a lower third pick is too low.

DraftBoy
04-15-2006, 07:45 PM
Sometimes, the schemes really are at fault primarily, though :idunno:

Like I said to each his own but I didnt see Nate getting burnt underneath but he did get burnt deep. Also there is still no excuse for his attitude.

The_Philster
04-15-2006, 07:49 PM
If he had jammed the WRs at the LOS, they wouldn't have gotten as clean a release and the timing might have been off enough that Clements could've made some kind of play..that's all I'm saying
Agreed 100% on the attitude, though

YardRat
04-15-2006, 07:53 PM
If we can get a first rounder, ship him.

DraftBoy
04-15-2006, 08:35 PM
If he had jammed the WRs at the LOS, they wouldn't have gotten as clean a release and the timing might have been off enough that Clements could've made some kind of play..that's all I'm saying
Agreed 100% on the attitude, though

To each his own, I dont think he should of gotten burned deep with his speed and his cushion but the WR's do get a head start.

Italian Stallion
04-15-2006, 08:40 PM
Some team might get desperate and throw a late first rounder in for him......we'd be really stupid not to take that...

patmoran2006
04-15-2006, 08:52 PM
There is ONE thing and ONE thing only IMO where I could see us possibly trading him, though it's not good for Buffalo.

Its the fact that I FEEL he has NO Interest in playing here, and certainly none if he's not getting a new contract with a FAT BONUS, one I'm nearly certain Wilson is not going to pay him.

IMO< he's a potential club-house cancer on a team that can't afford it... Of course, we can franchise him again next year, but that'll cost over $8 million.

I'm not naive enough to think we can get fair value for him in a trade, but something is better than nothing.. And I could be WRONG, but it is my opinion that this dude is going to be a bad apple for this team over his contract; which is a shame given he's one of the better corners in the league.

finsrclowns
04-15-2006, 09:11 PM
There are several CB's that will likely go between 20-29 this year that intrigue me. Clements is a very good player but we are rebuilding so I'd take a deal in the mid 20's and feel good about it. A team that thinks they're close might be interested. That would most definetly eliminate the Jets.

ICE74129
04-15-2006, 09:20 PM
The Best thing for the BILLS to do is trade him. He wants too much money, isn't worth it, and isn't worth the headache

DraftBoy
04-15-2006, 10:52 PM
If we trade him for a lower pick and package that with a 3rd to move up, we could get Jimmy Williams around 16, which I know would make Clump happy.

OpIv37
04-15-2006, 11:18 PM

but in 03 and 04 when he was playing well, the D around him was excellent. So how can you say that he was hurt by the system in 05 without also saying that he was helped by the system in his good seasons?

The guy's above average, but not nearly as good as he thinks he is. If $7 MILLION a season isn't enough for him to get torched by Chris Chambers, then let's see if we can get for him.

Talent wise, I wouldn't mind keeping him for the right price. As far as attitude goes, **** him. IMO the defining Nate Clements moment will always be when he failed to knock that ball down against Jax in Week 1 of '04. If he did, we'd be having much different conversations on this board right now....

The_Philster
04-15-2006, 11:23 PM
but in 03 and 04 when he was playing well, the D around him was excellent. So how can you say that he was hurt by the system in 05 without also saying that he was helped by the system in his good seasons?Ask Jerry Gray why he played Nate so far off the ball in '05...I didn't notice him playing so far off in 03 and 04 to be honest.

OpIv37
04-15-2006, 11:26 PM
Ask Jerry Gray why he played Nate so far off the ball in '05...I didn't notice him playing so far off in 03 and 04 to be honest.

I'm just saying that in 03 and 04, the Bills had working blitzes and better safety help. It's much easier to look good at corner when the QB's throwing on the run with Spikes and Milloy in his face.

Bill Brasky
04-16-2006, 12:11 AM
IMO the defining Nate Clements moment will always be when he failed to knock that ball down against Jax in Week 1 of '04. If he did, we'd be having much different conversations on this board right now....

We also probably wouldn't still be in a playoff drought :ill:

Marvelous
04-16-2006, 12:35 AM
I'm not with the flow on this one. I thought Clements ha a good season for our bad defense last year. He had couple bad games but what CB doesn't? He won the Miami game for us by making their rookie RB fumble late in the 4th. I think Nate is a top CB and he was used wrong.

Everyone ask themselves, If Nate is a top CB,shouldn't he be paid on a competitive level?

Bill Brasky
04-16-2006, 01:58 AM
Nate might be good, but a lot of his stats have been padded by a few big games against lesser opponents.

3 INT's vs. Ray Lucas comes to mind...

TacklingDummy
04-16-2006, 05:58 AM
The guy's above average, but not nearly as good as he thinks he is. If $7 MILLION a season isn't enough for him to get torched by Chris Chambers, then let's see if we can get for him.

Nate wasn't on Chamber half the time. The last drive alone, with the big pass play and the final TD had Thomas on Chambers. Nice coaching Jerry Gray.

John Doe
04-16-2006, 07:28 AM
Why on earth trade a good young player?

ICE74129
04-16-2006, 08:05 AM
Look Nate is a good player. 'Good' Players dont' get 18 mill sb's and 7-8 per year. He won't budge off of that because he knows someone will pay him MUCH MORE THAN BUFFALO WILL.

I'm sorry But at his age, with this opportunity I can't blame him. The Coach he came in with has been replaced...TWICE!. The GM that drafted him, is gone. He has a new DC in a system he isn't used to. The team is at a low point, the owner is speaking gloom and doom.

Now take your homeistic view as a Bills FAN out of it and tell me you can't blame him for wanting out. Hell I just can't. If I were him I would sit the 10 games I could, play very little in the 6 games I had to then become a FA. a 1 Year tender is NOT worth the possibility of a signifigant injury.

I will say the same thing with him that I did moulds, trade him. His demands are too high, his attitude sucks, and he wont' budge on his demands and really (IMHO) Doesn't want to be a buffalo Bill. TRADE HIM.

Luisito23
04-16-2006, 09:53 AM
A big YES...he's vastly overrated..

GO BILLS!!!

OpIv37
04-16-2006, 10:16 AM
Nate wasn't on Chamber half the time. The last drive alone, with the big pass play and the final TD had Thomas on Chambers. Nice coaching Jerry Gray.

I'm sorry but you're just flat out wrong. Most of Chambers catches in that game were right in front of Clements.

ArcticWildMan
04-16-2006, 10:51 AM
If we are smart, we put out the word that we will entertain offers of a trade for him. If nobody makes any real offers it can only help us as it would show Nate and his agent that he's not considered a top flight CB and isn't worth the big bucks. That will reduce his bargaining power and most likely bring his contract demands back down to earth. If a team does offer a trade that is acceptable, we jump on it and draft a CB to replace him.

Shopping him for a trade is a win-win situation for us. Get it done Marv.

ICE74129
04-16-2006, 10:56 AM
If we are smart, we put out the word that we will entertain offers of a trade for him. If nobody makes any real offers it can only help us as it would show Nate and his agent that he's not considered a top flight CB and isn't worth the big bucks. That will reduce his bargaining power and most likely bring his contract demands back down to earth. If a team does offer a trade that is acceptable, we jump on it and draft a CB to replace him.

Shopping him for a trade is a win-win situation for us. Get it done Marv.

Exactly.

DraftBoy
04-16-2006, 02:44 PM
Ask Jerry Gray why he played Nate so far off the ball in '05...I didn't notice him playing so far off in 03 and 04 to be honest.

Posters have been gripping for years about Gray playing the Cb's off the line, Im not buying for one second he all the sudden changed his D philosophy and started the CB's off the line only in 05. Gray has never had us utilizing a bump and run pass coverage philosophy.

The_Philster
04-16-2006, 03:08 PM
Take a look at game tapes of Antoine Winfield's last year. You'll see that Winfield was consistently played off the LOS....Clements was up hear the LOS a lot more.
I'm not explaining why Gray did it...only telling you what I've seen