PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper alternative to Spikes?

lordofgun
02-06-2003, 10:30 AM
Buffalo Bills

Player they'd love to have: This is a team that badly needs to improve the speed at linebacker. Takeo Spikes of the Bengals would be a perfect fit, since he can play outside in this defense. But since the Bengals will tag him, the Bills might be left dreaming.

Chances they will get him: If Cincinnati is dumb and only puts a transition tag on Spikes, he might be worth making a move on. At the very least, any team that signs him will force the Bengals, a notoriously cheap team, to make a decision.

Cheaper alternative: Mike Peterson of the Colts is a perfect run-and-chase linebacker for the scheme the Bills use. He is also one of the most underrated players in the league.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/6168523

WG
02-06-2003, 10:48 AM
I fully agree. I wouldn't mind seeing Peterson here too. Heck, let's grab Scioli too while we're raiding the Colts! :D

BILLS :stick: COLTS

Tatonka
02-06-2003, 10:57 AM
spikes is not an alternative!!

claiborne, peterson, maslowski, simmons. we have got to get 2 of them.. unless they have plans for spoon.

EDS
02-06-2003, 11:10 AM
I think Peterson would be a great fit because of his speed and coverage abilities at weakside linbacker. He can lock down on RBs and TEs. If we got him I say resign Newman on the cheap and let him compete with Spoon or Favors at SLB.

Voltron
02-06-2003, 11:19 AM
Newman will get picked up by some one. He needs to find a 4-3 and he will do good. I think he has been highly misused. Look for Atlanta to offer him something.

BillsNYC
02-06-2003, 11:34 AM
wow...i forgot all about spoon!!!!

Jeff 311
02-06-2003, 11:39 AM
Personally I liked the way Brookng plays. And he can play the weekside and the middle. However I dont think he will leave atlanta because he grew up in georgia favorite team was the falcons, and he even named his dogs after Falcon greats. Plus he would probably rather play in the middle where he can make more tackles. I still think we can get Spikes, but if not i have to agree Peterson would be the best option. I had Peterson in my fantasy football team, and he gets a ton of points directley from tackles. He would also become cap friendly. For the stong side linebacker posistion I say move brandoon Spoon. This will help him because he will have to play less agast pass coverage. He will only have to be responsible to cover the tight end and has the speed to that, and not to mention he is real good against the run.

TigerJ
02-06-2003, 12:36 PM
I think TD will bring at least one good LB in, and either draft one or sign a second. Peterson, Claiborne, Spikes, who knows which one(s)? That's going to depend on circumstances. I'm fine with any of them. They've got to be better than Eddie Robinson. BTW I think Robinson will end up as a pretty good coach, but he's hit the wall as a player. I hope he recognizes that and bows out gracefully.

Bert102176
02-06-2003, 06:42 PM
also as another alternative to Spikes, Peterson, Colvin, Miller could be Barber with the Eagles however I do hope Spoon gets his chance also.

Scott
02-07-2003, 05:50 AM
I did not know the Falcons had "greats" that Brooking could name his dogs after.

THATHURMANATOR
02-07-2003, 10:32 AM
Isnt Spoon a Middle linebacker? I don't think he has either the coverage skills or the pass rushing ability to play outside. I say he is Fletchers backup in the middle. We need to bring in at least 2 linebackers at least IMO.