PDA

View Full Version : Williams Decision

!Papacrunk!
04-17-2006, 07:29 AM
TO THOSE THAT CARE (I realize I am on a Bills board)

I'm sure the ruling for Ricky Williams will be in the next week or so and I wondered what you guys thought his chances are that he will either be playing or suspended for a year. Just when I was getting used to him being a contributor to the team, my gut is telling me that he won't win the appeal. If he does, awesome-he really turned it up towards the end of the year and was a hard worker when he was wearing #34. If he doesn't, it's up to Ronnie Brown to continue his great rookie campaign as the #1 back, especially if Culpepper isn't ready until later in the season.

From the Miami Heralad in regards to the appeal:

Williams and attorney David Cornwell met with NFL attorney Jeff Pash at an undisclosed office in Manhattan for several hours Monday afternoon with Williams telling the league that he did not use the substance for which he tested positive in late December. Rather, they were expected to contend that Williams tested positive after taking an herbal supplement as part of his practice of holistic medicine. League Listens to Appeal (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/14313157.htm?source=rss&channel=miamiherald_football)

The biggest thing is that he did put himself in this position where one failed test, whether it had been something illegal or a herbal supplement mimicking another substance, will decide his future. So what do you guys think--play or 1 year suspension?

McBFLO
04-17-2006, 07:50 AM
If that's the case (that one substance was mimicking another banned substance), then I hope he doesn't get suspended, even if that means another weapon for the Phins. Fair is fair.

OpIv37
04-17-2006, 08:24 AM
I think the burden of proof is on Ricky at this point. It seems like he may be using the holistic medicine thing as an excuse, and it's up to him to find a way to prove to the NFL that he didn't actually use a banned substance. At this point, he hasn't earned the trust of the league on substance abuse issues.

That being said, I agree with pepper- if the substance he used really isn't banned by the NFL, it would be unfair to suspend him.