PDA

View Full Version : Time to dump the Special K?

Dozerdog
02-06-2003, 04:28 PM
For a while now, the NFL has been using a "special" dead ball in the kicking game to shorten kicks and increase returns. These are marked with a "K". The NFL was getting tired of booring touchbacks on every kickoff.

While it has increased TD returns ( I think this was a record year) it has given an advantage to the first team that is receiving the ball on OT. They get better drive starts and the incidents of games in OT ending before the other theam gets a shot on offense is increasing.

Do we get rid of the ball?

Voltron
02-06-2003, 04:31 PM
I think so. Most kickers are not trying to hit the end zone but with in the first 5 yard lines. Don't make the job any harder than it is for these unappreciated guys!

Dozerdog
02-06-2003, 04:33 PM
You want to make the kicking game more exciting?

1) Get rid of the special ball

2) If the Kicker boots it into the endzone/out of the endzone spot the ball at the 25 or 30 instead of the 20.

If the ball lands in the field of play then bounces out of the end zone for a touchback, spot the Ball at the 15.

I think this will encourage kickers to put the ball in the field of play, and encourage teams to return them instead of watching the ball roll into the end zone or to take a knee.

THATHURMANATOR
02-06-2003, 04:38 PM
I had never heard of this before. I say keep it the way it is.

Ebenezer
02-06-2003, 05:31 PM
Football was so much better before Don Shula started inflicting rules on the game...he's gone...get rid of his stupid rules also. Move the kicks back to the 35 and let things be.

Bert102176
02-06-2003, 06:11 PM
I'm with Dozer on this one

The_Philster
02-06-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
I had never heard of this before. I say keep it the way it is.
Keeping that head in the sand as a true Ostrich

RedEyE
02-06-2003, 07:06 PM
Keep it for field goals.

Keep it and change the suddden death rule in OT. Field goal accuracy percentages have declined since the new ball was implemented and teams have become more aware of their kickers imperfections. It seems to me since the K ball was introduced that teams have become more sensitive to their kickers abilities. Offenses now apply themselves more in the red zone edging closer for an easier kick. Personally, I think the rule helps produce the true talent kicker, and supplies an edge to those kicking in inclimate weather or in home stadiums.

I wish these guys would stop blaming their inconsistencies on the ball and invest their time into shutting their mouths so that they can get more practice booting it through the uprights.

Adam Vinnateri (sp?) doesn't seems to be experiencing any problems. Vanderjag-off clearly knows how to split the uprights. Jason Elam just signed a $9 mill. dollar deal to continue doing what he does best. But two kickers that have obviously declined in accuracy since the K ball was introduced are Ryan Longwell and John Hall.
Both were league leading kickers the year before the K ball was introduced, and both were exposed the very next season, the same year the K ball rule went into effect. I say keep it and let these guys earn their pay like the rest of the league.