Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
    • Jul 2002

Tim Russert to the Rescue!

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060418/1052890.asp?tbd1052890.asp

NFL chief, 'son of Buffalo' will discuss future of Bills

By DOUGLAS TURNER
    News Washington Bureau Chief
    4/18/2006

WASHINGTON - National Football League Commissioner Paul Tagliabue plans to show Sen. Charles E. Schumer how the NFL's new contract with its players will help, not hurt, the Buffalo Bills during a meeting here Thursday, league spokesman Greg Aiello said Monday.
    Tagliabue, Schumer and Tim Russert, Washington bureau chief of NBC News and host of the network's "Meet the Press," will meet Thursday in the senator's office at his invitation.

Russert said he will take part in the meeting "as a son of Buffalo, not as a journalist."

"I want to do everything I can, of course, to keep the Bills in Buffalo," said Russert, who has had private discussions with Tagliabue in recent years about the future of the team.

While the focus is on Buffalo, Schumer said, he wants to discuss with Tagliabue what the league is doing to preserve other small-market teams.

"I'm looking forward to this meeting because keeping the Bills in Buffalo is vital to Western New York," the New York Democrat said in a statement. "We are looking forward to hearing what the commissioner has to say. This is going to be the first step of a long process to do everything we can to help the Bills and small-market teams."

ok not really on chris berman
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Re: Tim Russert to the Rescue!

How bad is it going to look if the NFL brass shows those guys Ralph was off the mark? how much support will ralph get if those guys go up there and get embarrassed?

I know most homers feel Ralph is 100% on the mark, but I for one doubt it. We had better hope I am wrong and Ralph IS completely on the mark.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ICE74129
      How bad is it going to look if the NFL brass shows those guys Ralph was off the mark? how much support will ralph get if those guys go up there and get embarrassed?

I know most homers feel Ralph is 100% on the mark, but I for one doubt it. We had better hope I am wrong and Ralph IS completely on the mark.
      Dude....do you always feel the need to constantly bash Ralph no matter what the topic of the thread is. Youre the only one embarrassed by this situation. Why are you constantly so concerned about how he "looks"? If he does nothing, you'll have nothing to complain about anymore bc we wont have a team. Give it a rest...

Comment

• Mitchy moo
        Roways rooking ahread!
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by WillisMcNasty21
        Dude....do you always feel the need to constantly bash Ralph no matter what the topic of the thread is. Youre the only one embarrassed by this situation. Why are you constantly so concerned about how he "looks"? If he does nothing, you'll have nothing to complain about anymore bc we wont have a team. Give it a rest...
        Actaully I agree w/ ice, RW will look like a freaking idiot and we will lose the team because of his greed. $750 M later he still wants more @ 87 years old. Real smart guy to pull this crap around a bunch of poor WNY people.

Comment

• Stewie
          Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
          • Aug 2002

Ralph has read the new CBA. You haven't. What the hell makes you the expert?

He is positioning himself well for the ongoing labor negotiations. The new revenue sharing stipulations have to be looked at and renegotiated after the 2008 season. This is all about Ralph posturing for the future valuation of his franchise.

Ralph knows a new owner will face less opposition to moving the team if he purchases a "money-loser". That's why this is so important. It's not about Ralph making a few million bucks more than he already will. It's about making the Bills a viable contender in Buffalo forever, so a new owner can't come in and burn the forest down, so to speak.

And Ralph was one of the first group of forward-thinking owners who brought the league to where it is today. What do you think he cares more about? That his grandkids might have an extra hundred grand in the multimillion dollar trust fund? Or that his team, his stadium and his legacy are cemented in Buffalo forever?
          Originally posted by Topdog
          Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
          Originally posted by mercyrule
          I love Weiner.
          Originally posted by mercyrule
          also cheese

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
            • Jul 2005

Ralph isn't reading this thing in a vacum, he's got attorneys and advisors to spell out the fine print and there have been plenty of articles explaining exactly what provisions of the agreement he's worried about. Moreover, Chuck Schumer and Tim Russert are not dumb, they're not going to "get embarrassed" by Tagliabue.

Wouldn't you rather hope that Ralph IS WRONG, and the deal doesn't actually hurt the Bills? Me, I'm more worried about whether the deal hurts us financially than how Ralph looks to the other owners.
            Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

Tagliabue will have some serious 'splainin' to do, if he wants to make the qualifiers that (1) preclude new ownership from participating in revenue-sharing, and (2) require teams to be at 80% of average league revenue to receive shared revenue, sound helpful to small market teams.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Bulldog
                Top Dog
                • Jan 2003

Let's see, who do I think knows more about the new CBA. Ralph Wilson, one of the founding fathers of the NFL, who has a plethera of people at his disposal to sort out the mess that is the CBA, or ICE? Man thats a tough choice. Get over yourself already!
                I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• ICE74129
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by paulB
                  Ralph has read the new CBA. You haven't. What the hell makes you the expert?

He is positioning himself well for the ongoing labor negotiations. The new revenue sharing stipulations have to be looked at and renegotiated after the 2008 season. This is all about Ralph posturing for the future valuation of his franchise.

Ralph knows a new owner will face less opposition to moving the team if he purchases a "money-loser". That's why this is so important. It's not about Ralph making a few million bucks more than he already will. It's about making the Bills a viable contender in Buffalo forever, so a new owner can't come in and burn the forest down, so to speak.

And Ralph was one of the first group of forward-thinking owners who brought the league to where it is today. What do you think he cares more about? That his grandkids might have an extra hundred grand in the multimillion dollar trust fund? Or that his team, his stadium and his legacy are cemented in Buffalo forever?
                  He read it? According to him he saw it for 45 minutes. Apperantly 30 other owners read it and have no issues. Now either he read it and is wrong, or he didn't have time to fully read it and is going off of what he THOUGHT he saw.

You can't have it both ways.

Comment

• ICE74129
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Bulldog
                    Let's see, who do I think knows more about the new CBA. Ralph Wilson, one of the founding fathers of the NFL, who has a plethera of people at his disposal to sort out the mess that is the CBA, or ICE? Man thats a tough choice. Get over yourself already!
                    Ralph admitted he didnt' understand it. What part of this are you missing? Either he knows it and 30 other owners have no issues with it, or he reviewed it for 45 min, and THINKS he knows what is going on.

All I am saying is this, If ralph is dead on, great. If he isn't he makes russert etc look like fools for coming to his aid.

Comment

• ICE74129
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by WillisMcNasty21
                      Yeah I care how he looks. So far it looks to the NFL that we have an old fart that has lost it as an owner. Maybe ralph is right, we will see.

And I am far from the only one totally embarrassed by ralphs antics.

Comment

• HAMMER
                        I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                        • Jul 2003

Why doesn't everyone get off Ralphs back and be more respectful. He is a very old man that helped found the modern NFL, he may not be 100% anymore but you can't just put him out to pasture. Newsflash! He owns the team and can say and do whatever he wants, he has earned that right. It seems to me that much of Generation X thinks respecting your elders is a thing of the past, very sad.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
                          • Apr 2005

Yeah I care how he looks. So far it looks to the NFL that we have an old fart that has lost it as an owner. Maybe ralph is right, we will see.

And I am far from the only one totally embarrassed by ralphs antics.
                          If youre leaving the option open that maybe he is right, then why do you constantly bash him, question him, and say he uncapable of handling this?

Comment

• dplus47
                            • Sep 2005

Ralph admitted he didnt' understand it. What part of this are you missing? Either he knows it and 30 other owners have no issues with it, or he reviewed it for 45 min, and THINKS he knows what is going on.
                            did they shred the CBA after they voted on it? i would hope that ralph has had a little time since the vote to look into the agreement.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

I wouldn't be surprised if ICE claims he knows how to develop NFL owners
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X