View Full Version : Cover 2 defense broken down

X-Era
04-18-2006, 08:03 PM
Heres a link:

http://espn.go.com/ncf/columns/davie/1437187.html

Hope it helps us to figure out what we need from the draft

Jeff1220
04-18-2006, 08:15 PM
The Bills will get toasted by the long ball often this season.

OpIv37
04-18-2006, 08:27 PM

either that or get pulverized by the run- take your pick.

X-Era
04-19-2006, 06:49 AM
[quote=Jeff1220]The Bills will get toasted by the long ball often this season.[/quote

Thats exactly how I felt after I read it.

Nate and Terrence can handle the man on man, bumps. But who is our S that can cover 1/2 the field deep?

I think the Bills should place stock in Huff, Watkins, and other S with athleticism or we are in big trouble.

Also it mentioned you MUST be able to get to the passer.

OK, we have Schobel. Tripplett? maybe. Ngata? NO FRIKKIN WAY. Bunkley makes even more sense after this read. As does taking a chance on guys like Manny Lawson, Claude Wroten, or even Elvis Dumervil.

Maybe even Ahmad Brooks in the supplemental.

Im worried about our D bigtime now. If we dont make serious moves to boost our S's and pass rush, the cover 2 will leave us at best 20th in the league in total D.

If we have no intention on grabbing some premiere talent on D, we best do it on O to tip the scales.

Guys like Vernon Davis become paramount for a team that cant stop anyone.

Even then you have to hope like hell that we can get the o-line talent necessary to give our QB time to throw.

It looks pretty bleak after that read.

If we take Huff at 8, and then Watkins in the 3rd round, We would have the talent necessary to play strong D.

ryjam282
04-19-2006, 10:44 AM
We would definitely need some help at S but there is pretty good talent later at that position this year. I would love to see V. Davis in the first, DT Orien Harris in Rd 2 and possibly S Jason Allen in Rd. 3 with the first pick and then possibly G Charles Spencer or G Mark Setterstrom in with the 2nd pick in that round.

Or maybe go S Ko Simpson or Donte Whitner in the 2nd and then with the first pick in the 3rd G Charles Spencer and then DT Jonathan Lewis from VT with the 2nd pick in the 3rd.

ICE74129
04-19-2006, 01:53 PM

Only if the DL doesn't do it's job. OP37 is right as well, we get ran on unless the DL does it's job.

DL is THE key to a cover 2 Defense. And fans want V Davis instead of bunkley or Ngata?

Pinkerton Security
04-19-2006, 02:03 PM
[quote=Jeff1220]The Bills will get toasted by the long ball often this season.[/quote

Also it mentioned you MUST be able to get to the passer.

OK, we have Schobel. Tripplett? maybe. Ngata? NO FRIKKIN WAY. Bunkley makes even more sense after this read. As does taking a chance on guys like Manny Lawson, Claude Wroten, or even Elvis Dumervil.

Im surprised everyone is so down on Ngata, even compared to Bunkley. Kiper seems to think Ngata has the ability to penetrate as well as plug gaps (obviously bc of his size and strength), which is great for the scheme. Triplett can cover the role of smaller, quicker DT.

Drive 4 Five
04-19-2006, 04:07 PM
Only if the DL doesn't do it's job. OP37 is right as well, we get ran on unless the DL does it's job.

DL is THE key to a cover 2 Defense. And fans want V Davis instead of bunkley or Ngata?

Good point ICE. Whenever I hear cover 2 I always think of the great defensive lines of the Buccaneers from a few years ago and of course the Bears today, and how they are able to consistently put pressure by rushing only four down linemen.

TedMock
04-19-2006, 05:25 PM
You need safties with range. Although I feel that we'll draft another on day one, our current safties actually have range. It's the DL that I'm concerned with. Vincent can still move in open space, and Matt Bowen is a 4.4 speed guy who happens to be decent in run support. He's no stud, but he's solid. Of course we could always improve. If for some reason hell freezes over, and Coy Wire wins the job, I'll be singing a different tune, as he is okay in the box, but has horrible range in coverage. Bunkley or Ngata are still my top choices. Yes, Ngata can penetrate from what I've read. Living on the east coast, I think I saw one Oregon game this year, so I can't give a real accurate assessment of him. I do understand the Vernon Davis fascinations though. I watched just about every one of his games (season ticket holder), and he's just an absolute beast. I'd be quietly pleased if we ended up with him, but the smarter part of me is pulling for a DT in the first or second. I'd still love a trade down, because we can get the number 2 DT a few slots down.