PDA

View Full Version : Why bring in ngata for a visit if...

Kerr
04-18-2006, 09:11 PM
he's supposedly not a fit for the new defensive scheme? It has been said he does not fit the scheme, but rather bunkley. Is it just a smokescreen or are they seriously considering drafting him and think he's actually a good fit?
Feedback.

Tatonka
04-18-2006, 09:39 PM
the people that say he is not a fit for the scheme havent read much or seen much of him.. he is a fast guy for a 340 pound guy. he CAN penetrate or he can hold the line and eat up gaps and take on double teams.

he can do all of the things we would need from that dt spot.

that is why they brought him in.

Kerr
04-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Ah...

I have not seem him play so I just go by the scouting reports.

If he's the pick, I just hope he's the right one.

DraftBoy
04-18-2006, 10:54 PM
the people that say he is not a fit for the scheme havent read much or seen much of him.. he is a fast guy for a 340 pound guy. he CAN penetrate or he can hold the line and eat up gaps and take on double teams.

he can do all of the things we would need from that dt spot.

that is why they brought him in.

He also lacks consistency and does not show up in big games. He wears down very quickly bc of his size and he does not have good technique. Which are two things that are premium with Bunkley, his stamina and his technique.

ParanoidAndroid
04-18-2006, 11:57 PM
The whole point of a pre-draft interview is to find out if he fits into the scheme. This just validates that he is at least on the radar screen, nothing more IMHO.

Sportsuser101
04-19-2006, 12:07 AM
Ngata is alot better then Bunkley. It's amazing how Ngata has gotten lowered because "he doesn't fit in our scheme". He does fit in our scheme. He's a monmouth DT who has been dominating at times. Sounds good to me. I'll take him over the "system guy".

The Spaz
04-19-2006, 12:42 AM
Bunkley is stronger, faster and is able to blow up the backfield more.

Sportsuser101
04-19-2006, 02:12 AM
Bunkley is stronger, faster and is able to blow up the backfield more.

And I'm banging Jessica Alba.

Tatonka
04-19-2006, 06:20 AM
He also lacks consistency and does not show up in big games. He wears down very quickly bc of his size and he does not have good technique. Which are two things that are premium with Bunkley, his stamina and his technique.

i am not disputing what your saying.. but bunkley was a nobody before this year.. he was not even a full time starter before this year.

and he is clearly a guy that improved his draft status because of the way he worked out.. i wouldnt go as far as calling him a workout warrior, but he is pretty damn close.. you could definately call him a one year wonder.

Tatonka
04-19-2006, 06:21 AM
The whole point of a pre-draft interview is to find out if he fits into the scheme. This just validates that he is at least on the radar screen, nothing more IMHO.

i agree.

Tatonka
04-19-2006, 06:22 AM

:rofl:

good stuff. what is she like?

Sportsuser101
04-19-2006, 06:23 AM
:rofl:

good stuff. what is she like?

Suprisingly bad. I'm probably gonna have to let her go.

Tatonka
04-19-2006, 06:32 AM
you know what is funny.. people are getting on ngata for being inconsistent, not showing up in big games, and wearing down.. it kind of makes me laugh.

what 350lb DT in the entire league doesnt get tired after taking on double teams over and over again?

and look at mario williams.. he is going to be a top 3 pick.. and he is the definition of inconsistent.. a few stat games followed by disappearing acts..

he also had another 1st round Defensive lineman playing with him that teams had to focus on.. meanwhile, who did oregon have to take pressure off of ngata?

ICE74129
04-19-2006, 06:44 AM
Show me anywhere in print that the BILLS Said that he doesn't fit their scheme. I have read we dont have to get a 350+ lb guy, but at no time have they said they didnt' WANT a 350lb guy. Anyone think that is our staff's way of BS'ing other teams?

Ngata is a 340lb guy who is leaner than most 300lb linemen. He moves well, is strong and has a good attitude. Some say he might get lazy etc. That happens when you dominate the competition so bad you get bored.

The kid has worked through losing his dad, then his mom after the bowl game. He wants to make something of himself to take care of his family, that is great character.

I watched some show (I honestly can't remember) where someone from Cleveland said they have a card already with his name on it and if he is there it goes up immediately. Now I grant you Bunkley might make them consider him, but Green Bay, Cleveland, Buffalo and a few others in the top 15 alone have him highly on his list.

don137
04-19-2006, 07:18 AM
My gut feeling is if Davis, Brick, Hawk, etc are gone as expected the Bills will try to trade down. If they do not it is between Huff and Ngata. Huff has the best long term value at the position but Ngata fits an immediate need. Levy preaches high character so much that Bunkley and Justice with there questionable past makes them a long shot to be drafted by a Levy team.

ICE74129
04-19-2006, 07:25 AM
My gut feeling is if Davis, Brick, Hawk, etc are gone as expected the Bills will try to trade down. If they do not it is between Huff and Ngata. Huff has the best long term value at the position but Ngata fits an immediate need. Levy preaches high character so much that Bunkley and Justice with there questionable past makes them a long shot to be drafted by a Levy team.

I think the smart move is to trade down regardless. Yes even if Davis is there. If we can field 3 starters instead of 2 out of the first two rounds, then the TEAM is way ahead in the game.

Marvelous
04-19-2006, 07:53 AM
Smokescreen! Gotta boost him up to the teams that wan't Ngata but are below us. It's a win win for us. Worst case scenerio we take him. I don't think there's any way we lose with our 1st pick this year. Don't forget, Marv is sheisty

The Spaz
04-19-2006, 08:24 AM

I know that's not a fact but I'm lookign at some.

justasportsfan
04-19-2006, 08:28 AM
Could be a smokescreen too. The fins are bringin in almost every draft pick they would have to trade up for.

ryjam282
04-19-2006, 09:59 AM
I agree it could be smokescreen. I know there is some teams that hope Ngata falls below the top 10 so they can scoop himup. Maybe we brought him in so other teams would be interested in trading up ahead of us to grab one of them and make one of the other players fall a slot further....I wouldn't put it past Marv or the F.O. to do that. Why not, if no one moves up and they liked him they take him. It is a win/win IMO.

DraftBoy
04-19-2006, 11:57 AM
you know what is funny.. people are getting on ngata for being inconsistent, not showing up in big games, and wearing down.. it kind of makes me laugh.

what 350lb DT in the entire league doesnt get tired after taking on double teams over and over again?

and look at mario williams.. he is going to be a top 3 pick.. and he is the definition of inconsistent.. a few stat games followed by disappearing acts..

he also had another 1st round Defensive lineman playing with him that teams had to focus on.. meanwhile, who did oregon have to take pressure off of ngata?

well lets also look at the talent Ngata went against, his biggest games were v. Arizona, Stanford, Cal, and Washington St.. 2 of his 3 sacks came against Montana and Houston. Now I know he's a big guy and all but paying against one of the weakest DI college football conferences he should of put up better numbers for all the pentetration he does. Against Southern Cal which has two guards who will be drafted in Lutui and Matua he had this stat line; 1 tack 2asst, and 1 asst for loss. Not what I would call a good indicator of what he may show in the NFL. T I agree about Williams he is inconsistent and its his knock. Ngata has been able to look good against lesser competition, and yet still he is inconsistent and still he get worn down, what happens when he comes to the NFL and has to face lineman twice as fast and twice as strong? T you also mentioned Bunkley as a one year wonder, well Ngata is in the same boat as a one year starter. I dont see the difference except that Bunkley has played his butt off against superior comp and produced while Ngata has played extremely well against inferior comp and produced. Ill take Bunkley any day of the week.

ublinkwescore
04-19-2006, 12:29 PM
Suprisingly bad. I'm probably gonna have to let her go.

Send her my way, I'll take your sloppy seconds.

ICE74129
04-19-2006, 01:22 PM
well lets also look at the talent Ngata went against, his biggest games were v. Arizona, Stanford, Cal, and Washington St.. 2 of his 3 sacks came against Montana and Houston. Now I know he's a big guy and all but paying against one of the weakest DI college football conferences he should of put up better numbers for all the pentetration he does. Against Southern Cal which has two guards who will be drafted in Lutui and Matua he had this stat line; 1 tack 2asst, and 1 asst for loss. Not what I would call a good indicator of what he may show in the NFL. T I agree about Williams he is inconsistent and its his knock. Ngata has been able to look good against lesser competition, and yet still he is inconsistent and still he get worn down, what happens when he comes to the NFL and has to face lineman twice as fast and twice as strong? T you also mentioned Bunkley as a one year wonder, well Ngata is in the same boat as a one year starter. I dont see the difference except that Bunkley has played his butt off against superior comp and produced while Ngata has played extremely well against inferior comp and produced. Ill take Bunkley any day of the week.

And seeing your take on it, OU flat out buried this kid outside of maybe 5 snaps. I watched a Freshman take him one on one and beat him in pass protection.

I guess my point was, the Bills haven't said he isn't a fit for their system and I don't think anyone is going to move him up or down too far on thier boards based on combine/ personal workouts.

Saratoga Slim
04-19-2006, 02:11 PM

good post.

what's your breakdown on Claude Wroten v. John McCargo? In the event we don't go with Ngata/Bunkley in the 1st round, I'd like to see us draft a DT in the second round. Wroten and McCargo seem to me to be the best available for us in the 2nd.

I don't like Rod Wright or Gabe Watson, laziness scares me.

DraftBoy
04-19-2006, 03:21 PM
And seeing your take on it, OU flat out buried this kid outside of maybe 5 snaps. I watched a Freshman take him one on one and beat him in pass protection.

I guess my point was, the Bills haven't said he isn't a fit for their system and I don't think anyone is going to move him up or down too far on thier boards based on combine/ personal workouts.

The bills never have said nor will they ever say that Ngata is moving up or down on their boards, bc they would tip their hands. However many experts have said that Ngata does not fit the system. I go by what they say and what Ive seen. This D ideally does not work well with pluggers in the middle. Ngata has not shown me the ability to consistently collapse the pocket, he is the best at taking up space and blockers but cannot collapse a pocket well with consistency, imo. Which is what we need and what Tripplett does well already.

DraftBoy
04-19-2006, 03:27 PM
good post.

what's your breakdown on Claude Wroten v. John McCargo? In the event we don't go with Ngata/Bunkley in the 1st round, I'd like to see us draft a DT in the second round. Wroten and McCargo seem to me to be the best available for us in the 2nd.

I don't like Rod Wright or Gabe Watson, laziness scares me.

Claude Wrotten-
Positive-
-Athletic!
-1-gap DT
-Explosive 1st step
-Strong
-consistent penetration
-powerful pop at contact
-Pass rusher
-relentless with twists and stunts

Negative:
-Size
-lack of bulk
-trouble anchoring v. run
-lower body strength
-hand placement
-Pass rush technique on moves

NFL: Tommie Harris

John McCargo
Positive;
-Quick
-1-gap
-good 1st step
-good speed and mobility
-Disruptive run stopper and pass rusher
-Smart

Negative:
-Bulk
-lack of ideal height
-cant anchor v. Run
-will get pushed around
-Needs to improve burst to QB and ball carrier

NFL: Chris Hovan

I love Claude Wrotten and think we should take him rd 2. And ideal draft for me would be;

1. Huff
2. Wrotten
3a. Spencer
3b. Whitworth

If we had that day 1, Id give us an A!

Saratoga Slim
04-19-2006, 04:14 PM
Claude Wrotten-
Positive-
-Athletic!
-1-gap DT
-Explosive 1st step
-Strong
-consistent penetration
-powerful pop at contact
-Pass rusher
-relentless with twists and stunts

Negative:
-Size
-lack of bulk
-trouble anchoring v. run
-lower body strength
-hand placement
-Pass rush technique on moves

NFL: Tommie Harris

John McCargo
Positive;
-Quick
-1-gap
-good 1st step
-good speed and mobility
-Disruptive run stopper and pass rusher
-Smart

Negative:
-Bulk
-lack of ideal height
-cant anchor v. Run
-will get pushed around
-Needs to improve burst to QB and ball carrier

NFL: Chris Hovan

I love Claude Wrotten and think we should take him rd 2. And ideal draft for me would be;

1. Huff
2. Wrotten
3a. Spencer
3b. Whitworth

If we had that day 1, Id give us an A!

Thanks dude. your day one picks are pretty much what I'm hoping for too. I'd also be OK with:

1. Bunkley
2. Davin Joseph/Charles Spencer
3a. Pat Watkins
3b. Andrew Whitworth

Tatonka
04-19-2006, 05:31 PM
draftboy.. was ngata not a dominant DT the season before he hurt his knee as well? and would have been 2 years ago, had he not had his knee injury.. correct?

patmoran2006
04-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Whether we're really considering drafting Ngata or not, its IMPORTANT to show other teams that we're interested in him.. Perhaps a team that very well may be interested in trading up for him is paying attention.

Dicknoze69
04-19-2006, 06:29 PM
You shouldn't believe or trust any GM this time of year. Everything could be a smokescreen, or it could be the truth.

mikemac2001
04-19-2006, 11:01 PM
It only helps bringing him in, doesnt hurt at all so why does it really matter...No one know what is gonna happen its jsut getting annoying now

DraftBoy
04-20-2006, 12:10 AM
draftboy.. was ngata not a dominant DT the season before he hurt his knee as well? and would have been 2 years ago, had he not had his knee injury.. correct?

According to the NCAA stat site he didnt register any tackles till this season. They may be wrong but thats what Im basing my comment off of.