PDA

View Full Version : I think Farve is waiting to see if GB...

acehole
04-19-2006, 08:15 AM
Drafts a qb instead of an impact player. If that happens he will force his release or a trade. Which then has a domino effect on the draft for us.

ICE74129
04-19-2006, 08:33 AM
They have is replacement.

hydro
04-19-2006, 08:36 AM
They have is replacement.

Yeah they drafted Aaron Rodgers last year in the first round. The kid hasn't even had time to prove himself. If they picked another QB up in the draft, that's a first rounder wasted, Especially a top 5 first rounder.

Night Train
04-19-2006, 08:39 AM
I think Favre is making himself look like a selfish ass, holding an entire organization hostage.

They can go 4-12 with him or without him. Did he actually believe GM Ted Thompson could turn that mess around with a new coach and multiple aquisitions in one off-season ?

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/47431

ICE74129
04-19-2006, 09:15 AM
I think Favre is making himself look like a selfish ass, holding an entire organization hostage.

They can go 4-12 with him or without him. Did he actually believe GM Ted Thompson could turn that mess around with a new coach and multiple aquisitions in one off-season ?

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/47431

Favre needs to retire and be done with it. Talking with GB fans here they agree. Every year he goes out and tosses 20+ int's is another knock on a HOF career.

He retires right now and he is in the class of 2011.

ryjam282
04-19-2006, 10:13 AM
What about the cap ramifications??? There is a mandatory minimum cap number for all teams this year of 85.5 million. If he retires, the Packers would be around 66 million or so and have to do something to make it to that 85.5 mil #. I am not sure of the ramifications involved here but it could wind up hurting the Packers a lot more then it already has. Maybe Clump could chime in with what I am talking about. What are your guys thoughts on this??

They would have to go out and sing Arrington, Woodson, and Ty Law to even have a chance to get back to the minimum.

ryjam282
04-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Just found this to give some more info...

Packers | Favre's retirement could make team spend money
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 18:31:26 -0700

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports Green Bay Packers QB Brett Favre's retirement could be a financial disaster, but in a different kind of way for the team. With his $3 million roster bonus and $7 million in salary, Favre would make $10 million this year if he plays. The Packers would save $10 million of cash if he doesn't, but that's not necessarily a good thing. The Packers have a payroll of around $76 million, but that doesn't include draft choices or any other free agent signings. Not having Favre would take the payroll down to $66 million. With the new collective bargaining agreement, teams must have a minimum cash payroll of $85.5 million, meaning the Packers would have to spend $19.5 million just to make the minimum. With the players remaining as free agents, the Packers would be hard pressed to spend the money they would need to.

Was at 76 million before any free agents, if Favre retires it'll be 66 million without the free agents.

ryjam282
04-19-2006, 10:16 AM
OOPS....

Packers | Team offers contract to Woodson; he says no
Fri, 14 Apr 2006 19:43:47 -0700

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports the Green Bay Packers have reportedly offered a contract to free agent CB Charles Woodson (Raiders). The contract did not satisfy his financial demands.

Night Train
04-19-2006, 10:19 AM
Still, you would think some of these teams would wise up and start re-signing some of their good young players to realistic long term deals, rather than mostly old Vets in their twilight.

Stewie
04-19-2006, 10:43 AM
IMO Favre knows exactly what he's doing. He's gonna play again, but he's setting himself up to take all the potential glory and none of the blame.. What possible free agent acquisitions can they make that will have a significant impact? Arrington? Woodson? Please... I don't see how they're gonna keep DT's out of favre's grill.

The way things are, if Brett comes back and they go 4-12, he can point at the team and say they didn't get the players they needed. And if they go 12-4, he can take all the glory for getting wins out of a group of scrubs.

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me.

ICE74129
04-19-2006, 01:47 PM
IMO Favre knows exactly what he's doing. He's gonna play again, but he's setting himself up to take all the potential glory and none of the blame.. What possible free agent acquisitions can they make that will have a significant impact? Arrington? Woodson? Please... I don't see how they're gonna keep DT's out of favre's grill.

The way things are, if Brett comes back and they go 4-12, he can point at the team and say they didn't get the players they needed. And if they go 12-4, he can take all the glory for getting wins out of a group of scrubs.

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me.

I think at #5 they go DT or take D'brick if he falls past the Jets. They need lines. I know LB is a need as well, but if they can't keep guards off of Hawk, the point is moot.