How much money for a new stadium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stewie
    Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
    • Aug 2002

How much money for a new stadium?

Apparently the Cardinals new stadium is a completely state of the art facility they built for 400 million. It has a translucent new roof (lets in some light, but not as much heat), a retractable field (like the crumb tray on your toaster oven, they're gonna slide the grass out of the stadium for 350 days a year). Their stadium is financed with $150 million from the team and $250 from hotel/car taxes.

Now, we spent $100 million in state money to renovate the ralph in '98. The Jets are about to spend well over a billion to get a stadium in the city, right? I didn't read up on who's paying what, but I'd venture to guess NYS will kick in at least $200 million. So is getting a new stadium built for the Bills that farfetched?

The worst professional franchise in sports history built a great stadium for $400 million, so is someone gonna try and tell me that a nice new stadium can't be built better in downtown Buffalo?

I say Buffalo should build a nice art-deco or goth-revival stadium, office, and retail complex downtown that matches the city's mix of architecture styles. It would be one of a kind, an attraction in itself like Camden Yards is/was. Gotta have the field be open-roof and bowl style, IMO, but it could be surrounded with office and retail space. Perhaps have a boardwalk with trolley's around the extended perimeter, with a pedestrian archway over the field. (Screw you, St. Louis!) Give Buffalo a new skyline. Build rail access into the facility, as part of the new high speed rail loop NYS should build between Albany Syracuse Rochester and Buffalo (a whole 'nother story...) Make it a Bus hub. Make it easy to get in and out, and walk to the offices/retail locations.

Lets say a 400 million stadium becomes an 800 million stadium because it's built in downtown Buffalo and not Arizona suburbia (although Phoenix real estate ain't cheap). I think it can be done. Question to you still in New York: do you want your tax money to pay that kind of money for the Bills?
    Originally posted by Topdog
    Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
    Originally posted by mercyrule
    I love Weiner.
    also cheese
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Re: How much money for a new stadium?

why build a new stadium?? RWS sells out for every game now. How many corporate honchoes do you think there are in Buffalo?

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

I don't pay taxes in NY so I don't care....

But seriously, I think tax money would be justified if it can be shown that the stadium will bring in new jobs/provide a boost to the economy. The problem is that most studies show that stadiums do not provide that big a boost.

Now, if a revived downtown was done alongside the stadium, it might be a different story. The stadium would have to be a part of a larger plan for it to be justfied.

And I agree- it has to be open roof. No being pussies like Minnesota and Detroit.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Devin
        The Octagon
        • Apr 2003

The new AZ stadium is sick!
        http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• Stewie
          Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
          • Aug 2002

I think the only way to get the state to spend any money on the stadium is to link it to other economic necessities in Buffalo: namely creating wealth (read jobs and higher wages) and reversing the population decline.

The stadium alone isn't going to create too many jobs worth mentioning, but we could get creative with attracting business. Make the surrounding space an empire zone, so businesses who develop property get some tax breaks. Build a world class mag-lev high speed rail between Rochester and Buffalo, so you can board a train in Rochester and be in downtown Buffalo 15 minutes later (300mph). Have local stops at the universities in both cities, to encourage r&d collaboration.

Buffalo has to do SOMETHING to bring the city back, right?
          Originally posted by Topdog
          Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
          I love Weiner.
          also cheese

Comment

• MikeInRoch
            • Sep 2003

$400 Mil is cheap. Cincy's new Stadium was well over $500 Mil.
            "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• R. Rich
              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Devin
              The new AZ stadium is sick!
              Ah, you've been there, huh?

Comment

• Pride
                • Jul 2002

Retractable roof... if only for the hope of hosting a SuperBowl... we can leave it open every game but the SB!

Comment

• ICE74129
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Feb 2005

I say 600 million. Now how do you get that money immediately back into the WNY economy? Hire LOCAL Unions to do the work. Maybe you can't hire out all of it (its smart to use some firms that have built these things before) but for AC, Concrete, electrical, Network, etc use local contractors.

You get the money to local guys who in turn need to hire more people. then you of course tax the money they are paid so there is some immediate turn around.

Not to mention the community spirit increases when Joe worker shows his kid that he is building the Bills new stadium.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                    Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
                    • Jan 2004

The Jets and Giants are building in NJ and splitting the costs from what I understand... so I don't see how NY would be contributing to a piece of property built on NJ land... maybe they contribute something, but I don't think it'd be much.

Comment

• Dont drink the water
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Pride
                      Retractable roof... if only for the hope of hosting a SuperBowl... we can leave it open every game but the SB!
                      It can be used in other events as well besides football. Where does Buffalo's Lacross team play?

Comment

• Dont drink the water
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by jfreeman
                        The Jets and Giants are building in NJ and splitting the costs from what I understand... so I don't see how NY would be contributing to a piece of property built on NJ land... maybe they contribute something, but I don't think it'd be much.
                        Maybe contribute to for bridges going out of New York but only contribute one direction

Comment

• dolphan117
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                          why build a new stadium?? RWS sells out for every game now. How many corporate honchoes do you think there are in Buffalo?
                          Because according to Ralph the team is loosing money and a new stadium used as a centerpiece of a series of attractions like hotels and restaurants is probably the only thing that will keep the Bills where they are. The good thing here is that Ralph or (preferable for me) a new owner may be in a position to leverage the state by saying "look we are loosing money and if you wont help us build a new stadium to turn things around then we will just go to LA where we will be able to practical print our own money." It would seem that with some smart political maneuvering there should be some significant money made available by the state.

Comment

• HAMMER
                            I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Pride
                            I like the idea of retractable multi-purpose, I also like the idea of closing the roof when it is raining, or sleeting, but it should be open for all other games.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                              Peterman Sucks!
                              • Mar 2006

While we're discussing pipe dreams.....The Minnesota Twins have pretty much given Minnesota an ultimatum of build us a new park or we're out....Why don't we just build a 65K to 70K seat stadium, retractable roof, and have it for baseball and football and lure the twinkies here.

I've asked this before and I'll ask again....MOST of you, not all, already complain about ticket prices being too high or you won't be able to afford going to the Ralph if they raised ticket prices to more competitive levels. What do you think is gonna happen if they build a new stadium? They're gonna raise ticket prices and probably include a PSL when you first go to get tickets. PSLs cost more than the seat you're buying. Not too mention who do you think is going to mostly fund one of these new stadiums? You, me and every other taxed person in Erie County.

Comment

Working...
                              X