PDA

View Full Version : What are y'alls thoughts on this?

clumping platelets
04-20-2006, 06:01 AM
I'm not necessarily advocating, but I wonder what people think about this scenario....if the cost to the Bills to swap places with NO for #2 overall was just Nate Clements so we could draft D'Brickashaw Ferguson...do you do it?? Under this scenarion, the Bills would absolutely need to also draft a young CB in rd 2 or possibly use the extra 3rd to move into the late 1st for one.....solidifying the OL is a primary need....with a better OL, it gives the QBs a better chance of success.....instead of giving mega millions to Nate....give it to Da Brick!

The 49ers/Broncos trade.....has a move from early 2nd to mid-late 1st rd pegged at a early 3rd...thus the Bills could move up to 24-28 range using 3,70

1,2 - OT D' Brickashaw Ferguson (Virginia)
Late 1st - CB Johnathan Joseph (So. Carolina)
3,73 - DT Rodrique Wright (Texas)
4,105 - G Guy Whimper (East Carolina)
5,134 - DB Eric Smith (Michigan St)
5,143 - LB Keith Ellison (Oregon St)
6,178 - WR Jonathan Orr (Wisconsin)
7,216 - DE Matthew Rice (Penn St)
7,248 - DB Raymond Washington (Fresno St)

:movie:

YardRat
04-20-2006, 06:04 AM
I'd prefer they trade down and pick up one or two more picks still, but if Marv pulled the trigger to go after D'Brick I wouldn't *****.

clumping platelets
04-20-2006, 06:06 AM
Da Brick is the only player I would trade up for but under this scenario, we would weaken CB to fortify the OL.....:idunno:

I really do believe the Bills trade down........

mikemac2001
04-20-2006, 06:21 AM
dont see it happening and id rather trade nate for a 1st or real early 2nd anyways he wont be here after this year so whats the point

ICE74129
04-20-2006, 06:47 AM
Clump, I would go clements, and our 3nd #3 and our first to move up for dbrick. That leaves us our 2nd, 3rd etc.

Ickybaluky
04-20-2006, 10:06 AM
According to the value chart the difference between the #8 and #2 pick is 1600 points. That means you are setting Clements value equal to the #6 overall pick.

Do you think Clements is worth the #6 overall selection? Do you think SF would trade that pick straight up for Clements?

I don't.

DraftBoy
04-20-2006, 10:19 AM
I could of seen Denver moving 22 for Clements straight up but we blew that when SF stole for a 2nd and 3rd. Assuming we can get a late 1st for Clements (I also think wed have to throw in a day 2 pick like one of our 5th rd picks), we should do this;

1a.S Huff-Texas
1b.OT Winston-Miami
2.CB Youboty-OSU
3a.DT Harris-Miami
3b.OG Spencer-Pitt
4.LB Wilkerson-GT
5.DT Stanley-Louisville
6.QB Jackson-ASU
7a.DE Rucker-USC
7b.WR Quillen-Louisana Monroe

ICE74129
04-20-2006, 10:26 AM
I could of seen Denver moving 22 for Clements straight up but we blew that when SF stole for a 2nd and 3rd. Assuming we can get a late 1st for Clements (I also think wed have to throw in a day 2 pick like one of our 5th rd picks), we should do this;

1a.S Huff-Texas
1b.OT Winston-Miami
2.CB Youboty-OSU
3a.DT Harris-Miami
3b.OG Spencer-Pitt
4.LB Wilkerson-GT
5.DT Stanley-Louisville
6.QB Jackson-ASU
7a.DE Rucker-USC
7b.WR Quillen-Louisana Monroe

Huff would have to move to CB if we take him at #8. No safety in this draft, including huff, is worth #8. Roy Williams re defined the safety position in College. Huff, not even close. That is why RW was picked so high. If someone else wants him (Dallas) hey make the trade and do so QUICKLY!

oldno711
04-20-2006, 10:26 AM
I'd do it...I don't think re-signing Nate will be a possibility after this year anyway.

Trade Nate. Draft Brick. Snag a CB who will fit our Cover 2 scheme in the 3rd/4th.

DraftBoy
04-20-2006, 10:38 AM
Huff would have to move to CB if we take him at #8. No safety in this draft, including huff, is worth #8. Roy Williams re defined the safety position in College. Huff, not even close. That is why RW was picked so high. If someone else wants him (Dallas) hey make the trade and do so QUICKLY!

Michael Huff is of the same mold as Roy Williams was at college, hell Huff stepped right into Williams shoes essentially at UT. Is there a Texas player youd like to see Buffalo take?

ICE74129
04-20-2006, 10:48 AM
Michael Huff is of the same mold as Roy Williams was at college, hell Huff stepped right into Williams shoes essentially at UT. Is there a Texas player youd like to see Buffalo take?

DB I like ya but you are full of crap on this one. He isn't 1/2 what Roy Williams was in college. Please stop. the ONLY difference is 40 time. and Huff runs the 110m At Texas and practiced his 40 times out the wazoo before the combine.

Huff didn't re define the position, Williams did.To answer your question I kinda like Rodrique Wright. Has an NFL Pedigree with his uncle and cousin I believe. Tends to get lazy though. But when he is on, could fit well with us. I just hope he doesn't turn into a Mike williams 'check collector' type.

Ickybaluky
04-20-2006, 11:11 AM
Roy Williams was a heck of a college player, but I don't think that is the point. The point is how good they are as pros.

Huff has enough size and toughness to play SS safety and the range to play WS safety. He has the ability to drop down and cover. That kind of versatility separates him from Williams. Williams is a good player, but he is a in-the-box S who plays like a LB. Williams has coverage liabilities that make him much less effective when he can't play up in the box.

Huff is a unique player, and his versatility makes him a very valuable player. He can make in impact and allow a defense to remain in their base package while still being able to cover if teams spread things out (Williams is neutralized when teams go to spread sets). Huff is a ballhawk who has a nose for the ball, and can make big plays. He is well worth a top-ten selection, IMO, and a sure bet to make an immediate impact on any team that drafts him.

Plus, you may not like Texas, but they have a history of producing NFL DB's.

DraftBoy
04-20-2006, 11:14 AM
Roy Williams was a heck of a college player, but I don't think that is the point. The point is how good they are as pros.

Huff has enough size and toughness to play SS safety and the range to play WS safety. He has the ability to drop down and cover. That kind of versatility separates him from Williams. Williams is a good player, but he is a in-the-box S who plays like a LB. Williams has coverage liabilities that make him much less effective when he can't play up in the box.

Huff is a unique player, and his versatility makes him a very valuable player. He can make in impact and allow a defense to remain in their base package while still being able to cover if teams spread things out (Williams is neutralized when teams go to spread sets). Huff is a ballhawk who has a nose for the ball, and can make big plays. He is well worth a top-ten selection, IMO, and a sure bet to make an immediate impact on any team that drafts him.

AND THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE!!!

:posrep:

Devin
04-20-2006, 11:15 AM
Almost every NFL comparison ive seen of Huff is to Ed Reed.

DraftBoy
04-20-2006, 11:16 AM

Who is a better S than Roy Williams

ICE74129
04-20-2006, 11:17 AM

And how many have worked out in the NFL? Not many. I haven't seen Roy Williams have any issues with the cowboys in coverage, so that arguement is moot.

ICE74129
04-20-2006, 11:18 AM
Who is a better S than Roy Williams

And that is your opinion. I think williams and Reed are both damn good safetys.

And if our lines were already addressed, then he would be a good pick. They aren't and huff isn't.

Lines period. had we addressed them years ago we wouldn't be as crappy a team as we are now. We have safetys, draft lines.

Ickybaluky
04-20-2006, 11:30 AM
And how many have worked out in the NFL? Not many. I haven't seen Roy Williams have any issues with the cowboys in coverage, so that arguement is moot.

You're joking, right? When he was forced to play back he gets tooled. The big problem the Cowboys had in 2004 was his having to play back after Darren Woodson got hurt. Look at what happened late in the Washington game last year. In that game he got out of position and couldn't recover twice late and Santana Moss scored twice to steal a victory. Williams is an excellent player in the box, but he is not versatile enough to cover well. That means you can scheme to attack him.

Granted, he is a great player down in the box, a difference-maker. However, he doesn't have the versatility to play back. He is a very good blitzer and tackler, but not good in coverage.

Ed Reed has 22 interceptions and 32 passes defensed in 4 seasons (despite only getting one int in an injury-shortened 2005). Williams has 12 ints and 24 passes defensed in that same span. Reed is a far better player when in coverage.

I agree the Huff/Reed comparison is a good one.

Bulldog
04-20-2006, 11:33 AM

Ed Reed is the best safety in all of football, hands down. And in response to some of the earlier posts, I too have seen R. Williams struggle in coverage. Like NE said, he's a great tackler and plays well in the box. But if he's put in coverage, he struggles. I haven't seen enough of Huff to form an opinion of him one way or another, but I think its a moot point as Oakland will take him off the board before Buffalo even picks.

Bulldog
04-20-2006, 11:43 AM
I would even go one step further and say that Williams is vastly overrated. I would rank Polamalu ahead of Williams with regards to safetys in the NFL. Polamalu makes plays in the box and also is pretty good in coverage. Most of all, he has a knack for making big plays at the most opportune times.

ParanoidAndroid
04-20-2006, 11:46 AM
No way would I want this to happen. We will be better off just holding onto Nate as long as we can until his replacement is here. We have too many needs to toss picks and a player away for one OT who hasn't played a down in the NFL. He could be a bust for all we know. The risk far outweighs the reward this time IMHO.

Bulldog
04-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Speaking of safetys, does anyone know where Anthony Smith (Syracuse) is projected to be drafted?

Ickybaluky
04-20-2006, 11:49 AM
And how many have worked out in the NFL? Not many.

Just recently, Nate Vashers, Rod Babers and Quentin Jammer are all NFL CB. Vashers and Jammer are both NFL starters. This years team will likely add to that since they have guys like Huff and Cedric Griffin coming out.

Historically, they have guys like Bryant Westbrook, Stanley Richard, Jerry Gray and Ray Clayborn.

Ickybaluky
04-20-2006, 11:56 AM
Speaking of safetys, does anyone know where Anthony Smith (Syracuse) is projected to be drafted?

Most projections I've seen are about 4th round.

I like Smith's passion. He lacks top measurables, but plays with passion. I think people way overrate the measureables sometimes, as it doesn't matter how good they are athletically if they can't play. He is pretty versatile as well, kind of pretty good at everything but not great at anything.

I can see Smith contributing right away on ST, and he might surprise people. Never bet against a guy with good intangibles and passion for the game. At worst, he will be a good ST/backup player, IMO.

Bulldog
04-20-2006, 12:03 PM
Most projections I've seen are about 4th round.

I like Smith's passion. He lacks top measurables, but plays with passion. I think people way overrate the measureables sometimes, as it doesn't matter how good they are athletically if they can't play. He is pretty versatile as well, kind of pretty good at everything but not great at anything.

I can see Smith contributing right away on ST, and he might surprise people. Never bet against a guy with good intangibles and passion for the game. At worst, he will be a good ST/backup player, IMO.

I for one think that Smith is a tad underrated. I thought he took well to the schemes that Robinson installed last year at Syracuse. Having seen him play in an NFL style system, I think he could be a good find in the 4th. He may take a little time to become aquainted with the speed of the pro game, but I think he's capable of becoming a starter in the NFL.

Bulldog
04-20-2006, 12:07 PM
Here's the skinny on hime from NFL Draft Countdown :

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/s/anthonysmith.html

Ickybaluky
04-20-2006, 12:12 PM
I for one think that Smith is a tad underrated. I thought he took well to the schemes that Robinson installed last year at Syracuse. Having seen him play in an NFL style system, I think he could be a good find in the 4th. He may take a little time to become aquainted with the speed of the pro game, but I think he's capable of becoming a starter in the NFL.

Maybe. My biggest criticism of him is he gets out-of-control sometimes. He will have to be more responsible in the pros. He is a big hitter for his size, and is a ST ace. Well worth a 4th, IMO.

Ko Simpson is another S I think is underrated. He played with some great players on defense in South Carolina, but was very productive. He only played two years, so it makes him harder to judge. He sat out a year before going to South Carolina and is older than most rookies. I think he has a good combination of tackling ability and ball skills. He has a nose for the football. I like guys that can support the run and play out in space.

Ickybaluky
04-20-2006, 12:22 PM
I would even go one step further and say that Williams is vastly overrated. I would rank Polamalu ahead of Williams with regards to safetys in the NFL. Polamalu makes plays in the box and also is pretty good in coverage. Most of all, he has a knack for making big plays at the most opportune times.

I think I'd put Brian Dawkins in there as well. He is a well-rounded player who can hit and cover. He does a great job in coverage, although his hands aren't the greatest (seems to drop his share of ints).

DraftBoy
04-20-2006, 01:16 PM
I like Ko Simpson alot as an alterior option to Huff. Im afraid OAK may take Huff before we get a shot at him, but I think they may be forced to go QB. Some other safeties include;

Ko Simpson
Pat Watkins
Donte Whitner
Danieal Manning (CB)
Cedric Griffin (CB)

X-Era
04-20-2006, 06:56 PM
Da Brick is the only player I would trade up for but under this scenario, we would weaken CB to fortify the OL.....:idunno:

I really do believe the Bills trade down........

Is D' Brick SO good that we can sh_t can a proven CB like Clements? Furthermore a CB who is at least a top 12 CB in this league?

I hate to say it but there IS a pecking order on most important position. CB is up there. The lines, while important for sure, just arent as high.

Now, if you tell me D' Brick is a sure fire Ogden or Jones or even Pace, and were trading a top 12 PLUS OUR 8 PICK, for a top 4 OT in this league. Thats something to consider. It seems like a TON to trade for a Ot who has never played a single NFL down. BUT,

Lets face it, Hasselbeck, Warner, Dilfer have all gone to the Superbowl behind the aforementioned top LT's. Add in Bulger and even Fitzpatricks success behind Pace and theres some substantial evindence that LT's a pretty damn important to a teams future. I say this because NONE of those QB's is worth that much to me.Im not impressed with ANY of them.

IF adding D' Brick makes JP take us to the SB, thats a trade that needs to happen. Because on his best day, Nate can only shut down the passing game, and only on HIS receiver.

The_Philster
04-20-2006, 07:17 PM
No way would I want this to happen. We will be better off just holding onto Nate as long as we can until his replacement is here. We have too many needs to toss picks and a player away for one OT who hasn't played a down in the NFL. He could be a bust for all we know. The risk far outweighs the reward this time IMHO.
I agree. If we had someone already on the roster who could step in for Nate without missing a beat, I'd be in favor of it but Jabari Greer and Eric King have shown a little...but not enough to convince me they'll ever be starting caliber.

Jersey1031
04-20-2006, 07:38 PM
I wouldn't swap firsts with NO and give them Nate to draft D'Brick, because he could easily drop to us using just our 8th if everything went our way...

Bulldog
04-20-2006, 10:10 PM
Maybe. My biggest criticism of him is he gets out-of-control sometimes. He will have to be more responsible in the pros. He is a big hitter for his size, and is a ST ace. Well worth a 4th, IMO.

Ko Simpson is another S I think is underrated. He played with some great players on defense in South Carolina, but was very productive. He only played two years, so it makes him harder to judge. He sat out a year before going to South Carolina and is older than most rookies. I think he has a good combination of tackling ability and ball skills. He has a nose for the football. I like guys that can support the run and play out in space.

Here's a little blip that Kirwan wrote about Smith :

14. Anthony Smith, S, Syracuse: The Syracuse defensive back is a bit under the radar screen, but his performance down at the Senior Bowl sparked my interest. He plays much faster than his advertised speed, and the more tape of him I watched, the more intriguing he became as a player. After I got the chance to talk with Smith in person and on the phone, the more I thought this is a guy who would be a steal in the third round and a wise choice in the second round. He reminds me so much of Jay Bellamy when he came out of Rutgers years ago. Bellamy was thought to be to slow but 10 years later he's still collecting pay checks in the NFL.

I just have a feeling that Smith is going to make his mark in the NFL.

BSXIII
04-21-2006, 12:01 AM
DAVIE, Fla. --Ronnie Brown's first day in the Miami Dolphins' training camp was mostly uneventful. The running back took a few handoffs, caught a few passes and spent a lot of time standing and watching practice.

Oh, he also signed a five-year, $34 million contract that included about $20 million guaranteed.

The second overall pick in the April draft, Brown ended a three-week holdout Monday, and the Dolphins believe he was worth the wait. He'll compete for playing time with 2002 NFL rushing champion Ricky Williams, coming back from a one-year retirement.
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2005/08/16/brown_signs_34_million_deal_with_dolphins/

If they did this and he was a bust it would really set the team back. Not only would they give up a high draft pick, but look at the contract last years 2nd overall pick got. That's almost what top Free Agents get. Part of what makes the draft great is the chance to get a great player at an affordable price. When you pick second overall the affordable price part goes right out the window.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-22-2006, 07:09 AM
What is a y'all?