PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What scenario would cause you to trade up?

mysticsoto
04-20-2006, 02:30 PM
I was talking to a friend, and he has an interesting philosophy that once you get 10 or more picks, you should use the extra picks to move up and get better players. His philosophy is that you are not going to start 10 new people you pick so you might as well get as many as you can that are of high calibre and that could possibly even start.

Now, this got me thinking into what it might actually take to make certain trades happen. I'm not going to criticize is way of thinking, but instead go along with it...if you are the GM, who do you trade up for?

Top scenario to trade for Brick...In my opinion, we can only trade for Brick if he drops below the 4th - otherwise, I feel it is too costly. Curiously, does anyone feel they are willing to trade a 2nd rounder to go into 4th place and get him or more rounds to go even higher? Now keep in mind that just b'cse the 49ers and Raiders may be unlikely to take Brick b'cse of their Oline situations doesn't prevent anyone from trading up to take him! Therefore, this scenario keeps in mind that we really want Brick and are willing to trade up to get him so nobody else gets him...

a) Trade with GB for 5th pick (1700 pts)- give them our 1st (1400 pts), first 3rd (70th - 240 pts)) and 4th (105th - 84 pts) - total 1724 pts

b) Trade with 49ers for 6th pick (1600 pts) - give them our 1st (1400 pts), and second 3rd rounder (73rd - 225 pts) - total 1625 pts.

c) Trade with Raiders for 7th pick - (1500 pts) - give them our 1st (1400 pts) and our 4th (105th - 84 pts) and our 6th (143rd - 34.5 pts) - Total 1508.5 pts.

Would you do a, b or c if you had the opportunity to grab Brick?

What about for Vernon Davis? Would you do either or any of these?

My opinion...I think a) is too much to pay. I am willing to do both b and c for either Brick or Davis.

After watching footage recently of Vernon Davis shaking a safety off of him or 3 DBs being used to take him down, I would love to have him on our team!!!

Typ0
04-20-2006, 05:58 PM
does C say we are going to give them a 4th and 6th rounder to swap spots 7 & 8 in the first round? That's rediculous. You could give them nothing and might still get the player you want. There's a bigger chance we will trade higher to get a QB. Personally, I'd rather we got more picks than less.

FlyingDutchman
04-20-2006, 06:09 PM
Id like to trade some later picks to try to get back into early second round. If so, we could take Ngata or Bunkley in the first, Marcus Mcniel in the second, and then grab Bing in the second or maybe Jean-Gilles. Those would be 3 possible starters right there.

Dr. Lecter
04-20-2006, 07:51 PM
does C say we are going to give them a 4th and 6th rounder to swap spots 7 & 8 in the first round? That's rediculous. You could give them nothing and might still get the player you want. There's a bigger chance we will trade higher to get a QB. Personally, I'd rather we got more picks than less.

Not necessarily. Teams will trade up one spot to stop another team from moving up instead.

OpIv37
04-20-2006, 07:53 PM
you forgot a poll option:

I'm Confused.

Michael82
04-20-2006, 09:03 PM
I would NOT trade up. I would trade down though. :up:

mysticsoto
04-21-2006, 08:25 AM
you forgot a poll option:

I'm Confused.

About what? I basically wanted to see how much people would be willing to trade up if they really wanted Brick or Davis - in other words, if you believe these two are really impact players, how much are you willing to trade off for them.

Option a) was moving up 3 spots.
Option b) was moving up 2 spots
Option c) was moving up 1 spot.

So the scenario pre-supposes that both Brick/Davis fall past the 4th. Considering that Brick would be a franchise left tackle for years to come, would people be willing to give up lower rounds for him - and how much?

Looks like a pretty mixed bag of results.

mysticsoto
04-21-2006, 08:38 AM
I would NOT trade up. I would trade down though. :up:

Trading down sounds good but a) you need someone willing to trade up that doesn't always translate on draft day and b) obtaining more and more players just means more players to cut in TC. In truth, how many players out of a draft become valuable team members?

For us:

2005: Too soon to judge

2004:
Lee Evans
JP - maybe. Still up in the air...
Tim Euhus

2003: (very good draft year - unusual)
McGahee
Kelsay
McGee
Crowell - good backup that is emerging as starter material
Haggan - good backup
Aiken - good backup for ST

2002: (bad draft year)
Denney - good backup
Bannan - decent backup (now gone)

2001: (Good draft year also)
Clements
Schobel
Travis Henry
Jonas Jennings
Ron Edwards - good backup

2000: (another bad draft year)
Sammy Morris (good backup)

In a good draft year we might get 4 potential starters out of the draft. So is it better to add to the 10 picks already by trading down, or is it better to try and use some of those picks to get players that actually might be able to impact the team?

I can understand my friend's philosophy and agree with it to a point. As I said before, I don't want to sacrifice too much...but if we have extra picks this year, why not take advantage and use them to gain a much needed impact player that could affect our team for years to come?

OpIv37
04-21-2006, 08:52 AM
Honestly, I think we need all the picks we can get in this draft. I think we hold off and see if Vince Young goes before us. We know Bush and Leinart are going before us, so if Young goes too that means one of the following will fall to us:

Davis, Hawk, Ferguson, Huff, M Williams.

Although they're not DT's or OG's they're all impact players who will contribute right now.

mikemac2001
04-21-2006, 11:02 AM
we will get someoen good so im just waiting...id like to be a D playmaker like HUFF or Hawk but i wouldnt mind Davis but i really hate drafting OLINE in first round (unless brick)

OpIv37
04-21-2006, 11:04 AM
we will get someoen good so im just waiting...id like to be a D playmaker like HUFF or Hawk but i wouldnt mind Davis but i really hate drafting OLINE in first round (unless brick)

the problem is the OL wasn't addressed in FA so we need to find someone that can come in and start at OG. The deeper in the draft we go, the less likely that becomes....

mikemac2001
04-21-2006, 11:04 AM
ya but Oline seem to always bust thats my concern but any player can be a bust so if it happens it happens... but i dont think justice is worth the 8th a trade down maybe

mysticsoto
04-21-2006, 12:09 PM
the problem is the OL wasn't addressed in FA so we need to find someone that can come in and start at OG. The deeper in the draft we go, the less likely that becomes....

Are you saying we should draft a Guard in the 1st rd? Atleast one of the top 3 guards are likely to be there for our 2nd pick if not all.

Here's a question for some of you...if Nick Mangold was also available at our 2nd rd pick along with all 3 top guards (Davin Joseph, Max Jean-Gilles and Charles Spencer) ...who do you take?

Dr. Lecter
04-21-2006, 12:12 PM
Mnagold is the best player. He can play guard if necessary too.