Is anyone happy with the OL? What do we need in the draft to fix it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Is anyone happy with the OL? What do we need in the draft to fix it?

If the season started today, the OL would most likely look like:

Gandy
    Preston/Anderson
    Fowler
    Villarial
    Peters.

Fowler is an upgrade- Peters is up and coming. Preston did not look ready to play guard at all last year, and Anderson flat-out blows. Villarial is on the wrong side of 30- he has what's probably his last contract, and dogs it on the field cuz he already had his payday. Gandy is mediocre- could use an upgrade but not nearly as important as guard.

I'm not really sure where Aaron Gibson fits into all this, but he's a big ? so right now I'm gonna assume that he either won't make the team or will be used for depth. I'm pretty sure he plays tackle and not guard.

Scary thought: if Fowler gets injured, it will be:

Gandy
    Anderson
    Preston
    Villarial
    Peters

The center of that line is absolutely attrocious.

So, how can we fix the center of the OL before the season starts? Are there guards in round 2-3 of the draft who could possibly come in and start? Are there any FA's left?

If we don't fix this, McGahee will have another **** season and Losman won't have a real chance as QB- it will be 3 step drop and run for your life.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Is anyone happy with the OL? What do we need in the draft to fix it?

btw I'm assuming Brick will be gone by the #8 pick. But if we do get him (via luck or trade), he essentially replaces Gandy. Can Gandy play the guard spot?
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

The biggest problem last year was the interior, rather than the Tackles.

Don't get me wrong . I sure wouldn't complain if an OT was selected high but Guard is even a bigger need to me. Might even need 2. Chris V is starting to break down and Benny can't block the sun.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Bmax
        • Aug 2003

NO GANDY AT GUARD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We should take care of tackel and guard via the draft...with our 2nd and 3rd picks this year...

Spencer-G
        Whitworth-T
        Boothe-G-T
        Colon-G-T
        Joseph-G
        College-G-T
        Simms-G

Are the names we should consider

Bmax

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Bmax
          NO GANDY AT GUARD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We should take care of tackel and guard via the draft...with our 2nd and 3rd picks this year...

Spencer-G
          Whitworth-T
          Boothe-G-T
          Colon-G-T
          Joseph-G
          College-G-T
          Simms-G

Are the names we should consider

Bmax
          are any of those guys potential starters? I'd seriously love to see both Anderson and Villarial either off the team or on the bench.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ICE74129
            Legendary Zoner
            • Feb 2005

Marv and DJ know the same thing I do, Gandy is an average to below average starting LT and you need a damn good one.

It is also obvious they aren't happy with guard play. They brought in Wells and tried to sign him for Guard. They brought in the guy who signed with Dallas for tackle. It has been well noted the bills intrest in Justice and the fact McNally followed Eric Winston all over the combine.

Some here feel its ok to make it another year with below average to average guys on the OL, apperantly the Bills dont. In our first 4 picks I would be shocked if we don't take 2 OL Men that they plan on getting into the starting lineup sometime soon.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
              • Jul 2005

I agree that the center of the line is the biggest IMMEDIATE problem, because I think Peters looks very solid and Gandy was at least adequate last year.

However, I also agree that Gandy is always going to be just above adequate, and won't turn into the stud LT every line needs.

I think my priority would be landing a top-notch gaurd talent (i.e. Davin Joseph or Charles Spencer), and then perhaps adding a tackle in the 3rd or 4th (Whitworth maybe).

the big caveat is that if we trade down to 12-18 range, and can get another 2nd rounder from the trade, I'd draft Eric Winston first at LT, and then get a DT (wroten/McCargo) and a LG (Joseph/Spencer) in the 2nd round. that would be a pretty solid draft.
              Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• CAbills
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ICE74129
                It has been well noted the bills intrest in Justice and the fact McNally followed Eric Winston all over the combine.
                If we take Winston at 8 I will cry and yet it seems like such a bill thing to do.
                Lets Go Buffalo!
                Boiler Up!

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Right now I feel Marv and Dick have gone about the DL and OL the way TD did by hiring a bunch of unproven players with the hope the McNally can turn them into a cohessive unit.

Marv always stated that to win we have to run and stop the run. I trust he's gonna live up to that. This is why I think he will address both lines via the draft.
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                    Right now I feel Marv and Dick have gone about the DL and OL the way TD did by hiring a bunch of unproven players with the hope the McNally can turn them into a cohessive unit.

Marv always stated that to win we have to run and stop the run. I trust he's gonna live up to that. This is why I think he will address both lines via the draft.
                    will that be enough though? How long will it take for anyone we draft to step in and contribute? We really need guys on both lines that can start right away.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Take a good guard in round 2 (gilles, latui, joseph, or spencer), a tackle with the 1st 3rd (whitworth), and then a CB/DE/DT with the 2nd 3rd. With our 4th rounder Id like to see us grab OG Kevin Boothe.
                      COMING SOON...
                      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
                        will that be enough though? How long will it take for anyone we draft to step in and contribute? We really need guys on both lines that can start right away.
                        Maybe not now, but in a year or two. Marv can say we have to win now to sell tickets , but I doubt he's gonna tell us to expect a playoff appearance this year.
                        sacrifice1

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                          Maybe not now, but in a year or two. Marv can say we have to win now to sell tickets , but I doubt he's gonna tell us to expect a playoff appearance this year.
                          I'll be happy if we still have an outside shot at the playoffs come early December. I just hate these seasons where we're eliminated by early-mid November and the last 6 games don't mean anything.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

just make sure we don't waste our stamps
                            sacrifice1

Comment

• Kerr
                              Hall of Fame Zoner
                              • Feb 2005

Gandy is a tackle and gibson is really a guard. Why waste them away in positions they don't really fit. Gibson's blubbery self fits on the inside. We need to draft a potential upgrade at LT if we can, and some more depth at guard.

Comment

Working...
                              X