PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone happy with the OL? What do we need in the draft to fix it?

OpIv37
04-21-2006, 11:11 AM
If the season started today, the OL would most likely look like:

Gandy
Preston/Anderson
Fowler
Villarial
Peters.

Fowler is an upgrade- Peters is up and coming. Preston did not look ready to play guard at all last year, and Anderson flat-out blows. Villarial is on the wrong side of 30- he has what's probably his last contract, and dogs it on the field cuz he already had his payday. Gandy is mediocre- could use an upgrade but not nearly as important as guard.

I'm not really sure where Aaron Gibson fits into all this, but he's a big ? so right now I'm gonna assume that he either won't make the team or will be used for depth. I'm pretty sure he plays tackle and not guard.

Scary thought: if Fowler gets injured, it will be:

Gandy
Anderson
Preston
Villarial
Peters

The center of that line is absolutely attrocious.

So, how can we fix the center of the OL before the season starts? Are there guards in round 2-3 of the draft who could possibly come in and start? Are there any FA's left?

If we don't fix this, McGahee will have another **** season and Losman won't have a real chance as QB- it will be 3 step drop and run for your life.

OpIv37
04-21-2006, 11:13 AM
btw I'm assuming Brick will be gone by the #8 pick. But if we do get him (via luck or trade), he essentially replaces Gandy. Can Gandy play the guard spot?

Night Train
04-21-2006, 11:15 AM
The biggest problem last year was the interior, rather than the Tackles.

Don't get me wrong . I sure wouldn't complain if an OT was selected high but Guard is even a bigger need to me. Might even need 2. Chris V is starting to break down and Benny can't block the sun.

Bmax
04-21-2006, 11:47 AM
NO GANDY AT GUARD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We should take care of tackel and guard via the draft...with our 2nd and 3rd picks this year...

Spencer-G
Whitworth-T
Boothe-G-T
Colon-G-T
Joseph-G
College-G-T
Simms-G

Are the names we should consider

Bmax

OpIv37
04-21-2006, 12:23 PM
NO GANDY AT GUARD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We should take care of tackel and guard via the draft...with our 2nd and 3rd picks this year...

Spencer-G
Whitworth-T
Boothe-G-T
Colon-G-T
Joseph-G
College-G-T
Simms-G

Are the names we should consider

Bmax

are any of those guys potential starters? I'd seriously love to see both Anderson and Villarial either off the team or on the bench.

ICE74129
04-21-2006, 12:32 PM
Marv and DJ know the same thing I do, Gandy is an average to below average starting LT and you need a damn good one.

It is also obvious they aren't happy with guard play. They brought in Wells and tried to sign him for Guard. They brought in the guy who signed with Dallas for tackle. It has been well noted the bills intrest in Justice and the fact McNally followed Eric Winston all over the combine.

Some here feel its ok to make it another year with below average to average guys on the OL, apperantly the Bills dont. In our first 4 picks I would be shocked if we don't take 2 OL Men that they plan on getting into the starting lineup sometime soon.

Saratoga Slim
04-21-2006, 01:19 PM
I agree that the center of the line is the biggest IMMEDIATE problem, because I think Peters looks very solid and Gandy was at least adequate last year.

However, I also agree that Gandy is always going to be just above adequate, and won't turn into the stud LT every line needs.

I think my priority would be landing a top-notch gaurd talent (i.e. Davin Joseph or Charles Spencer), and then perhaps adding a tackle in the 3rd or 4th (Whitworth maybe).

the big caveat is that if we trade down to 12-18 range, and can get another 2nd rounder from the trade, I'd draft Eric Winston first at LT, and then get a DT (wroten/McCargo) and a LG (Joseph/Spencer) in the 2nd round. that would be a pretty solid draft.

CAbills
04-21-2006, 01:40 PM
It has been well noted the bills intrest in Justice and the fact McNally followed Eric Winston all over the combine.

If we take Winston at 8 I will cry and yet it seems like such a bill thing to do.

justasportsfan
04-21-2006, 01:40 PM
Right now I feel Marv and Dick have gone about the DL and OL the way TD did by hiring a bunch of unproven players with the hope the McNally can turn them into a cohessive unit.

Marv always stated that to win we have to run and stop the run. I trust he's gonna live up to that. This is why I think he will address both lines via the draft.

OpIv37
04-21-2006, 01:41 PM
Right now I feel Marv and Dick have gone about the DL and OL the way TD did by hiring a bunch of unproven players with the hope the McNally can turn them into a cohessive unit.

Marv always stated that to win we have to run and stop the run. I trust he's gonna live up to that. This is why I think he will address both lines via the draft.

will that be enough though? How long will it take for anyone we draft to step in and contribute? We really need guys on both lines that can start right away.

DraftBoy
04-21-2006, 01:48 PM
Take a good guard in round 2 (gilles, latui, joseph, or spencer), a tackle with the 1st 3rd (whitworth), and then a CB/DE/DT with the 2nd 3rd. With our 4th rounder Id like to see us grab OG Kevin Boothe.

justasportsfan
04-21-2006, 02:01 PM
will that be enough though? How long will it take for anyone we draft to step in and contribute? We really need guys on both lines that can start right away.Maybe not now, but in a year or two. Marv can say we have to win now to sell tickets , but I doubt he's gonna tell us to expect a playoff appearance this year.

OpIv37
04-21-2006, 02:12 PM
Maybe not now, but in a year or two. Marv can say we have to win now to sell tickets , but I doubt he's gonna tell us to expect a playoff appearance this year.

I'll be happy if we still have an outside shot at the playoffs come early December. I just hate these seasons where we're eliminated by early-mid November and the last 6 games don't mean anything.

justasportsfan
04-21-2006, 02:14 PM
just make sure we don't waste our stamps :ill:

Kerr
04-21-2006, 04:07 PM
Gandy is a tackle and gibson is really a guard. Why waste them away in positions they don't really fit. Gibson's blubbery self fits on the inside. We need to draft a potential upgrade at LT if we can, and some more depth at guard.

ICE74129
04-21-2006, 05:07 PM

With the BEST TALENT AVAILABLE or you are doing the same thing in the draft you did in Free agency.

that said, I have seen fowler play at Minn and they wanted him, but wanted to insert back in a FORMER Probowler they are paying a ton of money who sat all of last year. Fowler developed into a solid STARTING Center last year. I can't blame him for moving on.

I am fine with Peters, Fowler, and Villarial THIS year. We need a LT that can be good to great and a LG as well. Address RG next year when we rid ourselfs of Villarial.

RedEyE
04-21-2006, 05:19 PM
I'd rather the Bills use the 1st overall pick on a DT, then snag a G in either the 2nd or 3rd round. They could easily get a starting G in the top of the 3rd round.

ICE74129
04-21-2006, 05:25 PM
The 'experts' still say take some TE, SS whatever. We have clear cut needs, take one of the top 2 guys coming out to address those needs esp on the line. That is what Cowher said on NFLE at the combine this year. I agree with him 100%.

Everything else outside of the lines in this draft is secondary. Address them now then use next offseason / Draft to get BPA/ WR/ QB/ SS/ TE or whatever.

Address the lines with the best talent available. BTW NE in the last 6 years or so has taken DT THREE TIMES in the draft in the first round. One of which at #6 I believe. Apperantly it does work.

RedEyE
04-21-2006, 05:28 PM
This draft is so deep in DTs, and the Bills are so thin at the position, I can actually forsee Buffalo taking 3 DT's next weekend.

OpIv37
04-21-2006, 05:31 PM
This draft is so deep in DTs, and the Bills are so thin at the position, I can actually forsee Buffalo taking 3 DT's next weekend.

as long as we get two OG's and hopefully a safety, you won't hear me complaining.

ICE74129
04-21-2006, 05:35 PM
as long as we get two OG's and hopefully a safety, you won't hear me complaining.

We are fine at Safety THIS year. We address those damn lines and watch how fast the guys behind them get better.

RedEyE
04-21-2006, 05:38 PM

I'd prefer to see something similar to this :

1) DT
2) S
3) G
3) DT
4) OT
5) QB
5) CB
6) DT
7) DEFENSE
7) OFFENSE

billsburgh
04-22-2006, 12:04 AM
I didnt think that Gandy played that bad last year. he was probably the most consistent lineman last year, plus he was handicapped by having worthless Anderson next to him. Get a better LG and I think Gandy's play will improve some more.