PDA

View Full Version : I can't agree more with what Taggs said.

ICE74129
04-21-2006, 05:45 PM
And not about the CBA, but about Ralph or a new owner stepping it up.

"Tagliabue seemed to suggest that the viability of the Bills had more to do with the willingness of the owner to invest in the club than with the bargaining agreement.

The team's long-term prosperity, said Tagliabue, "turns more on who the quarterback is and who the running back is than on the specifics" of the contract with the National Football League Players Association."

We have about 11-12 mill available now. Not much out there to sign, I agree with that, but we could have made a run at Cullpepper or Brees if we wanted to. That is apperant now.

What gets me is lets say our rookie cap number is 3 mill. That leaves 8+ mill to spend. lets say we carry over 6 mill after bonuses earned blah blah blah to next year. That is 6 mill + 13 mill in dead cap we get back and a guaranteed 7 mill increase in the cap. That = about 26 mill under next years cap to complete the revamping of this team. Hell I will say 22 mill on the conservitive side.

here is the problem, Ralphie better find about....oh...45 mill in Signing bonus money to come with, and he just doesnt' have it. But MrG does and can get it. THAT is our biggest problem right now. An owner that doesn't have the money for SB's.

If we have 26 mill, Wash 10, Dallas 10, NE 10 All three other teams can top us for signing top FA's because their owners can out bid us on bonus money which can be stretched out over the contract.

I am not ripping on ralph, but we need to realise it isn't the CBA that will be keeping us from fielding a really competitive team, its an owner that just doesn't have the money to give players the bonuses other teams can.

Bill Brasky
04-21-2006, 09:09 PM
And next year when the team is 26$ million under the cap and fails to bring in big names or big talent will you still advocate the signing of second-tier backups again?

ZacGriffi~82
04-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Winning solves all problems. Don't know if Ralph realizes that.

YardRat
04-21-2006, 11:01 PM
The league's long-term prosperity was built on revenue sharing that allowed small market teams to be competitive on the field...the new commissioner hopefully will understand that better than Tags.

You said it yourself, Ice...

here is the problem, Ralphie better find about....oh...45 mill in Signing bonus money to come with, and he just doesnt' have it. But MrG does and can get it. THAT is our biggest problem right now. An owner that doesn't have the money for SB's.

The reason Ralph doesn't have the money to dish out and be competitive in free agency is because of the disparity between non-revenue shared incomes that Jones and Snyder have over smaller market teams.

The NFL doesn't need new owners...they need to return to a more fair and balanced revenue sharing plan.

Throne Logic
04-21-2006, 11:35 PM
. . . its an owner that just doesn't have the money to give players the bonuses other teams can.

Just where do you think all that money other owners shell out comes from?

I would bet my right leg that neither Jones or Snyder are spending money that the team is not generating on it's own. That would be just plain horrible business management. Why should we expect anyone to purchase the Bills with the plan that they'll need to continuously funnel money from other business ventures just to keep the Bills competative with the ever rising salary cap? Buffalo area native or not, no smart businessman is going to make that move.

Pinkerton Security
04-22-2006, 01:16 AM

Right. And what is part of winning? Signing some of those big names. We need to spend the money, and sadly, I am not sure Ralph isnt willing to spend to get those big names, regardless the implications. Spending is key, and not just on shoddy people other people dont want and we think we can revive.

ParanoidAndroid
04-22-2006, 06:10 AM

There's more to it than just that, al though winning would help the small market teams more than the larger ones.
Don't forget, the Skins just had their first winning season since 1999.