• Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Marv and Modraks draft comments

Heres the link:

A few words that stood out.

If Vernon Davis is at 8, they would use all 15 minutes to figure out whether to take him or not.

Ngata is a 1 gap guy. Bunkley is a 3 or 1 gap guy. It seems Bunkley is being favored a bit to Ngata.

Justice is NOT viewed as a top ten player to the Bills.

Huff is viewed ONLY as a S to the Bills, they did work him out.

OL and DL are the top priorities, wouldnt directly say no skill players but seemed to say it aint happening.

Now, if all of what they said is true, it seems that Bunkley is our favorite pick, followed by Davis.

• Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Re: Marv and Modraks draft comments

"It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• ICE74129
      Legendary Zoner
      • Feb 2005

Are you less likely to take a skill position player if one slips instead of offensive or defensive lineman in light of what happened to your lines last year?

TM
      : "First, we do need to address the offensive and defensive lines. When we made those picks they were made based on talent and people we liked and for need at the time. I don't know that the process of trying to rebuild your offensive and defensive lines ever ends in terms of adding people to it. You've got four or five on the field all the time and you're always in a rotation situation particularly on the defensive line. That's a fair assumption that we want to get better and add to them."

There is all you need to know. Looks like with Marv and TM running it we can finally draft like a football team that has a clue.

BTW V Davis CAN help the OL with his blocking. So yeah, IF he is there and we don't have a trade down I can possibly see it. But I bet we have trade offers out the wazoo if Davis is there.

It also seems to me a trade down is possible but only a few slots to still address the lines. Seems DT is Tops on their list with our 2nd rounder being a OL.

Comment

• Patti120
        • Aug 2004

Good info!!!!

Comment

• X-Era
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ICE74129
          Are you less likely to take a skill position player if one slips instead of offensive or defensive lineman in light of what happened to your lines last year?

TM
          : "First, we do need to address the offensive and defensive lines. When we made those picks they were made based on talent and people we liked and for need at the time. I don't know that the process of trying to rebuild your offensive and defensive lines ever ends in terms of adding people to it. You've got four or five on the field all the time and you're always in a rotation situation particularly on the defensive line. That's a fair assumption that we want to get better and add to them."

There is all you need to know. Looks like with Marv and TM running it we can finally draft like a football team that has a clue.

BTW V Davis CAN help the OL with his blocking. So yeah, IF he is there and we don't have a trade down I can possibly see it. But I bet we have trade offers out the wazoo if Davis is there.

It also seems to me a trade down is possible but only a few slots to still address the lines. Seems DT is Tops on their list with our 2nd rounder being a OL.
          Agree it does look that way.

I just hope us fans can realize that its all a crap shoot and that even if the pick is, say, Ngata. Any, "I think thats a dumb pick", instantly goes away after the first Ngata blast through the line for a sack!

I hope we can get behind whoever they draft and enjoy what should be a helluva player, at WHATEVER position.

Comment

• ICE74129
            Legendary Zoner
            • Feb 2005

TM
            : "First, we do need to address the offensive and defensive lines.

Lines, lines and more lines. Then everyone else gets better

Comment

• X-Era
              • Feb 2005

TM
              : "First, we do need to address the offensive and defensive lines.

Lines, lines and more lines. Then everyone else gets better
              OK, it has to be said and then Im done.

Mike Williams- didnt do jack, 1st rounder for us.
              Jonas Jennings- 3rd rounder, finally played decent in his last year, earned a big contract and left.
              Jason Peters- undrafted, finally playing decent and about to enter a contract year.
              Esposito- day two guy- sucks
              Geisenger- day two guy- sucks
              McFarland- day two guy- sucks

Bannan- day two guy- sucks
              Edwards- 3rd rounder (I think)- sucks
              Anderson- day two guy- sucks
              Schobel- 2nd rounder- decent
              Kelsay- 2nd rounder- semi decent
              Denney- 2nd rounder- sucks

Our track record on addressing lines, lines, and more lines is pathetic, and you want to keep going?

FA for proven players? yes. We didnt do that.

But what reason do WE have for thinking ANY OL or DL pick from ANY round drafted by this team will turn out to be worth a damn and stay with us when they actually develop into something good?

Comment

• ICE74129
                Legendary Zoner
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jp-era
                OK, it has to be said and then Im done.

Mike Williams- didnt do jack, 1st rounder for us.
                Jonas Jennings- 3rd rounder, finally played decent in his last year, earned a big contract and left.
                Jason Peters- undrafted, finally playing decent and about to enter a contract year.
                Esposito- day two guy- sucks
                Geisenger- day two guy- sucks
                McFarland- day two guy- sucks

Bannan- day two guy- sucks
                Edwards- 3rd rounder (I think)- sucks
                Anderson- day two guy- sucks
                Schobel- 2nd rounder- decent
                Kelsay- 2nd rounder- semi decent
                Denney- 2nd rounder- sucks

Our track record on addressing lines, lines, and more lines is pathetic, and you want to keep going?

FA for proven players? yes. We didnt do that.

But what reason do WE have for thinking ANY OL or DL pick from ANY round drafted by this team will turn out to be worth a damn and stay with us when they actually develop into something good?
                Lines lines and more lines. ONE First round talent on that list...ONE and it was a bad pick. Who made those picks? A GM with a BAD RECORD picking linemen, even in pittsburgh.

And you just proved my point. TAKE THE BEST TALENT AVAILABLE on the lines.

Comment

• Philagape
                  WIN NOW
                  • Jul 2002

Past choices have ZERO relevance. ZERO.

The Bengals had several high QB busts before they hit with Palmer.

Crappy drafting at a position only makes that position more of a need. It's beyond insane to stop trying. Worst argument ever.
                  "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                  2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• ICE74129
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Philagape
                    Past choices have ZERO relevance. ZERO.

The Bengals had several high QB busts before they hit with Palmer.

Crappy drafting at a position only makes that position more of a need. It's beyond insane to stop trying. Worst argument ever.
                    P, understand we are dealing with the Madden Gen and a bunch of kids that want flash and listen to kiper, instead of understanding football.

No matter what year, generation, no matter how the game changes...LINES are the key to winning football. Marv already said, Lines when he got here. He tried hard to get a 2nd DT, A LG and a LT so those needs would be addressed in Free agency and we couldn't do it.

So now we draft them.

Comment

• X-Era
                      • Feb 2005

P, understand we are dealing with the Madden Gen and a bunch of kids that want flash and listen to kiper, instead of understanding football.

No matter what year, generation, no matter how the game changes...LINES are the key to winning football. Marv already said, Lines when he got here. He tried hard to get a 2nd DT, A LG and a LT so those needs would be addressed in Free agency and we couldn't do it.

So now we draft them.
                      I have been a draft fan for the past decade and have watched and recorded EVERY pick in the past 6 years.

I am FAR from a gen anything or a Madden anything either.

I have no problem with drafting a DT with the 8 pick. I merely make the point that we have many needs. A point you avoided.

So, unlike you, ICE, I wont be here complaining and starting a zillion threads trashing the Bills if we DONT draft a lineman at 8.

In my experience this many years, teams make questionable moves on draft day that often pay big dividends but also sometimes blow up in there face.

Furthermore, I find that the draft SHOULD in fact be run such that you take best available because there are so many ways to improve your team and fill needs. Be it, FA, trades, late offseason cuts, or simply trusting in some young guys. Its SO funny to me how excited some people get over teams "having" to have this or that only to watch them draft something different and go on to have success.

There is NO fool proof plan to the draft, ICE. Instead of drafting lines, lines, and more lines, you should DO lines, lines, and more lines, you will have a better time than trying to predict who will make your team better.

I dont believe for ONE second that ALL this team needs is O and D lineman. Nor, do I think for one second that the Bills will follow your master plan. They will make picks that make sense to them, and inthe long run, I will be flat out blown away if you can look back on thsi draft or any other as THE draft that put us in the SuperBowl. It doesnt happen in one year, or in one phase of the offseason. Hence, solely addressing the lines and placing ALL your eggs in that basket is a foolish way to proceed based on the mounds of evidence that NFL GM's can look at as far as teams success and how they got there.

Take the best damn players that seem the most likely to make an impact for YOUR team. Thats it, plain and simple.

Forget the lines? NO, never said that. Address them adequately? yes absolutely. Go hell bent into the draft think your lines are all you need? foolish.

Comment

• Iehoshua
                        • Jan 2003

...and watch them draft someone totally different!

Nothing can be believed right now...

Comment

• ct bills fan
                          • Jul 2002

Schobel is only decent - come on now??

Comment

• X-Era
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ct bills fan
                            He isnt a star yet. But back to back double digit sack years is decent. Would you call Derrick Burgess a star? Yet he led the league in sacks last year.

Schobel is a young, proven, pass rusher. But until he breaks 15-18 sacks in a year, I wouldnt put him as a star.

If decent is a touch understated, and your looking for something like a very good player, I would agree. But I would fall short of labeling him a star.

Comment

• John Doe
                              Florida Man
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ct bills fan
                              Bannan did not do too poorly with his new contract.

At least one NFL talent evaluator thought that he didn't "suck."
                              Last edited by John Doe; 04-21-2006, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X