PDA

View Full Version : Jets Could Change Bills' Draft

LifetimeBillsFan
04-22-2006, 06:15 AM
If the Texans don't throw the whole top of the draft into an uproar by taking Mario Williams over Reggie Bush, the direction of the Bills' draft is still likely to be determined by what the Jets do with their pick at # 4 and what Oakland does at # 7. And, the Jets have been doing something curious that could have a big impact on who will be left on the board for the Bills.

Most mocks and observers have the Jets taking D'Brickashaw Ferguson with their first round pick--and that makes all kinds of sense. But, the Jets are in the process of working out all three of the "Big Three" QBs in this draft this week and the way that they have gone about doing that, as reported in all of the NYC area newspapers, has been rather curious. Rather than bringing the three QBs to their HQ in NY, Jets owner W.Johnson, GM Tannenbaum, HC E.Mangini and their OC have gone to work out M.Leinart in LA and will (or have) work out J.Cutler in Nashville, but only their OC will work out Vince Young in Texas.

Obviously, the fact that only their OC is going to watch Young is an indication that the Jets really aren't interested in taking him if Tennessee takes Leinart instead of Young at # 3. But, what's curious--and interesting from a Bills' perspective--is the fact that the Jets' owner, Johnson, is making the trip to see the other two QBs....

Now, according to the NY Daily News and their story is obviously coming from the information that the Jets are putting out, the Jets are just "doing their due diligence" in working out the three QBs and are still going to take Ferguson because they believe that the # 4 pick is too high for them to take a QB. Word is that they really like Brodie Croyle, who they feel that they can get in the second or third round.

But, if that is the case, why is the owner making this trip? If it is just "due diligence" and they are set on taking Ferguson, why take him away from his business, etc. to watch Leinart and Cutler work out? And, why aren't they going to work out Croyle?

It has been reported in the past that the Jets have been high on Cutler for a long time. And, the fans would love to see them take Leinart--who has made no secret that he would like to play for the Jets. And, now, it's looking more and more like one or both will still be available when the Jets make their pick. Depending on the reports that the Jets have been getting about Chad Pennington's progress--and there has been precious little said about him in the local press--it is possible that the Jets may be reevaluating what to do with their pick and may end up taking a QB rather than Ferguson with their pick at # 4.

With Oakland, Detroit, Arizona and Minnesota all possibly interested in a QB, the Jets know that, if the Titans take a QB, they cannot trade down out of the # 4 pick if they want one of the remaining "Big Three" because, if Oakland takes a QB, the Bills can trade down with one of the teams that wants the remaining QB and the Jets will be left out in the cold--having to replace the injury-prone Pennington with the injury-prone Croyle. Which means that they will have to pass on Ferguson to get the QB that they want or lose out.

At this point, GB has to take a LB: they have Barnett and Ben Taylor, that's it. If they trade down, they could lose out on Hawk and perhaps even Sims and the kid from Iowa. Hawk is too good and fills too much of a need to pass up.

With A.Bryant and A.Battle as their WRs, SF needs another threat in the passing game with E.Johnson being so injury-prone and V.Davis is their likely pick with Hawk gone. Oakland could go a number of ways, but, having just recently drafted R.Gallery, OT is not likely to be one of them: they could either draft a QB themselves (could they pass on Leinart if the Jets go with Cutler?) or trade down with a team that wants a QB or Ferguson.

If the Raiders make that pick themselves or do not trade down with a team that wants Ferguson, the Bills could find themselves faced with an interesting dilemma: take Ferguson or take a DT? (Personally, I think I would go ballistic if the Bills passed on Ferguson!)

This scenario is one that had been talked on and off a few weeks ago, but faded after the Saints signed Brees and the Jets put out the word that they weren't interested in taking a QB. But, considering the fact that Jets' owner Woody Johnson took the time to go out and watch both Leinart and Cutler work out this past week, I don't think that it can be so easily discounted.

Now, I know it may be wishful thinking on my part--I will admit as much--but I can't help asking why Johnson made that trip if the Jets aren't seriously thinking about taking a QB at # 4 and this isn't something more than their FO and coaching staff doing its "due diligence"?

ParanoidAndroid
04-22-2006, 06:26 AM
Hmmm...
All this time I was thinking about an "Eli Manning swap" between the Jets and Texans for the rights to Bush.
The Jets taking a QB is even better.

billsburgh
04-22-2006, 06:29 AM
IF Ferguson is there, they better not pass on him unless someone offers a deal that is too good to pass up.

G. Host
04-22-2006, 06:47 PM
I doubt all three QBs will be taken early in the draft.
I think Jets are looking to trade down and take a QB later and are trying to find out if all of the QBs will satisify their need.

Bert102176
04-22-2006, 09:37 PM
I think the Jets are looking to trade down and take Cutler could possibly trade with the Vikings, or Bengals, if it's the vikings they may take D'Brick they said it'll be a more run based O this year, and if it's the Bengals they want a TE and Davis would be there.

Sportsuser101
04-22-2006, 10:24 PM
I want Reggie Bush out of our division so I hope the Jets don't have any ideas.

MarvLevy
04-22-2006, 11:37 PM
I want D'Brick!!!!!!!
I want the BC DE Kiwanuka..hopefully he falls to us in RD2. He is a Jason Taylor type.

mysticsoto
04-23-2006, 10:03 AM
The interesting question then becomes, who could be willing to trade up to the Raiders position to steal Brick from us if this were to happen. I imagine the Raiders won't want to drop too low, and teams of course, will hardly want to pay too much for an offensive linemen, no matter how good he is slated to be - which means, the only likely candidates are the few teams after the Bills...

9 - Detroit Lions - With Backus at LT, the Lions main interest could lie in the RT position which they could get later in the draft and wouldn't need to waste picks on moving up to get Brick.

10 - Arizona Cardinals - I sincerely doubt they would move up for Brick. They got rid of LJ Shelton 2 years ago b'cse they liked his replacement. They are likely on the verge of becoming a playoff team and will not waste draft picks to move up unless it's for someone like Vernon Davis. They will probably draft OL later for depth however.

11 - St. Louis Rams - The Rams went crazy last year drafting Olinemen - not to mention that Orlando Pace will have the LT position anchored for some time. This is probably the least likely team to care about Brick.

12 - Cleveland Browns - The Browns probably need to focus on the Dline more than anything. They signed Ted Washington for 1 year, but need young DTs to mold and OLBs for their new 3-4 defense.

13 - Baltimore Ravens - Similar to the Rams, the Ravens have a LT entrenched in Jonathan Ogden. They could probably use a better RT, but they can obtain that later in the draft without sacrificing anything.

14 - Philadelphia Eagles - Artis Hicks has started at LT for the last 4 years and is not likely to be dumped on the side for Brick by the team. Moving up from 14 to 7 would cost the Eagles enough that it is doubt that they'd want to do this considering their needs for a DT, WR and even an OLB. Of course they'd love someone like Brick to protect McNabb for the rest of McNabb's career, but with all the other needs, Philadelphia has to have the priority of replacing their LT pretty low.

15 - Broncos use their Offensive Zone blocking scheme which has done pretty well with "no names". They have no need to move up for Brick.

16 - Saban would salivate if he could get Brick for their Oline, but they need a top Safety, and to start working on obtaining more young players to replace the old guys there. They also don't have much to bargain with since they lost their 2nd pick this year for Culpepper and might have lost more for Ramsey. They'll likely grab an Olineman in the 3rd though...

Personally, I cannot see any team here or afterward willing to pay what it would need to, to move up and pass us if Brick were available past the Jets...

It's as I said before - it all depends on the Jets and what they do. I guess we have to keep our fingers crossed!