PDA

View Full Version : Levy Dodges Young Questions

patmoran2006
04-22-2006, 07:53 PM
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060422/SPORTS03/604220317/1007/SPORTS

"We feel good about our quarterback situation," Levy said. "But I don't want to say what we are or aren't going to do. If affects to a degree what your posture will be when it comes to potential trades. We're not looking to wheel and deal on the trade market, but we're sure not going to close it off."

When the Bills signed Nall, a backup in Green Bay for four seasons, Levy said he liked the fact he wasn't a first-round pick that had to bear the label of "savior." Levy wrote recently in Bills Digest such situations create "turmoil. All you'd have in that kind of situation would be another rookie season like Peyton Manning's 3-13 or Terry Bradshaw's 1-13 or Troy Aikman's 1-15 with no assurances that you've got another Peyton, Terry or Troy."
So that means Levy is strongly against adding another rookie quarterback to the mix, even one as special as Young?

"Again, I don't want to say," Levy said. "You may think there's an obvious thing to read into, and you may be right, but I don't want to say what our strategy is going to be."

OpIv37
04-22-2006, 08:08 PM
oh hell no!

Picking Young would be a huge mistake. He's more unproven and less experienced than JP, he has an odd throwing motion, the run-first type QB has not been very successful in the NFL and it would be wasting a pick on a guy who can't come in and help the team right away.

I will be beyond pissed if Young is the choice.

Typ0
04-23-2006, 12:19 PM
The only downside of VY is the way he throws. If that's something that can be coached then he's going to have a great career. He also is not a run first QB...I don't know why people say that--perhaps because he has great running ability. But great running ability does not translate into his being a run first guy. Many of these types of QBs, McNabb is a prime example, run a lot early in their career...but that is a function of their ability to get out of hairy situations because they haven't fully grasped the NFL game yet. Once they get that grasp...they learn to use everyone on the field better.

OpIv37
04-23-2006, 12:26 PM
The only downside of VY is the way he throws. If that's something that can be coached then he's going to have a great career. He also is not a run first QB...I don't know why people say that--perhaps because he has great running ability. But great running ability does not translate into his being a run first guy. Many of these types of QBs, McNabb is a prime example, run a lot early in their career...but that is a function of their ability to get out of hairy situations because they haven't fully grasped the NFL game yet. Once they get that grasp...they learn to use everyone on the field better.

what about the fact that it would be using a #8 overall pick on a guy who

a) will NOT contribute this year when this team has so many other holes that need immediate attention and
b) plays a position that is notorious for expensive first-round busts

If we do not get a guy who can make a solid contribution to this team immediately at #8, then the pick was wasted.

G. Host
04-23-2006, 12:29 PM
Better subject would be: "Wise Old Fox Levy refuses to show his hand" but I guess author is not that wise.

Oh and if Bills *DO* sign Young it will be for a sign and trade deal with the trading team needing to provide a player as well as a pick.

patmoran2006
04-23-2006, 12:35 PM
what about the fact that it would be using a #8 overall pick on a guy who

a) will NOT contribute this year when this team has so many other holes that need immediate attention and
b) plays a position that is notorious for expensive first-round busts

If we do not get a guy who can make a solid contribution to this team immediately at #8, then the pick was wasted.
I'm not campaigning for Vince Young, but I disagree with you for one very large reason..

You, I and 99.9% of the others on this board know the Bills are going nowhere in 2006. If we have the same record as last year many will consider that a decent season given the circumstances. SO since I'm not being fooled into thinking we're a contender this year, I'm not worried about if the player wont be a major contributor in 2006 if the payoff is he'll be a franchise leader for the following years to come.

WE could address EVERYONE of our needs in this draft alone and we're still not going to be a contender, at least not this year.

I for one and extremely sick of the barrage of crap that has led this team at QB since Kelly retired... I am already tired of the pending circus we're going to have at QB now, and its still April. It doenst take a crystal ball to forecast that by October, 95% of the debates/fights in here are going to be who is going to line up under center the following week.

If we take Vince Young at 8, that arguement ends... There will be no doubt as to who the future of this football team is... I can live with that, even if it means we didnt take a DT or OT in the first round this year.

He's far from number one on my wish list.. I still want Vernon Davis first and I'd even take Huff before young as well. But if them two are gone I wouldnt be shocked at all if Marv went in franchise QB direction... He was the coach of one of the greatest teams ever, he knows the importance of stability at QB.

G. Host
04-23-2006, 12:39 PM
That *****ing is what keeps most of the writers employed.
If things were perfect, there would be fewer viewers.
I worked as Assistant Editor in college and despite more news worthy stories the problem stories always got front and center coverage because that translated into higher readership hence more ad revenue next month.

OpIv37
04-23-2006, 12:40 PM
I'm never sold on draft picks as franchise QB's because for every McNabb or Manning there's a Leaf or Schuler.

If Marv is seriously not satisfied with the QB situation, he should have gone after Drew Brees.

Marv's mentor, George Allen, was known for trading away entire drafts for proven players. In the salary cap age, I don't think that can be done anymore, but I still think it's a better way to handle the QB position (provided there is a proven QB up for grabs- this year, there was).

patmoran2006
04-23-2006, 12:59 PM
If we were talking about Cutler I'd tend more to agree with a potential bust factor. he has ability but has proven LITTLE, just as a David Carr, Phillip Rivers or Ryan Leaf that came before him.

I see nothing in Vince Young to suggest to me he wont be a winning QB in the NFL. He was one of the biggest "winners" in college football history, and he saved the two best games of his life for the two most important; Rose Bowl win over Michigan and a NCAA championship over USC< where he nearly single-handedly won that game by himself.

If JP Losman, Craig Nall and Kelly Holcomb are my Quarterbacks, and Vince Young is sitting there at 8 (which I dont think he will be), I wouldnt hesitate to select him (as compared to a DT like Bunkley or Ngata).. He's a flat-out winner, crazy athletic ability, accurate arm (his stats prove it, forget the rush yds), a proven leader not to mention a tremendous team marketing asset.

OpIv37
04-23-2006, 01:30 PM
I still say young's too much of a risk. But beyond that, think about this: We're still not sure what JP can do, so QB may not be a position of need.

We KNOW DT and OG are positions of need, you could argue that S and LT are positions of need, and we really could use LB cuz Spikes may not be 100% and Fletcher and Posey are getting old.

So why use the pick on a position that may or may not be one of need when there are so many that are clearly in need of improvement?

G. Host
04-23-2006, 01:43 PM
Well if Bills really like Young then they will have deals ready to trade a QB for a pick later in draft but i doubt it will happen. If Young is as good as some claim and he is available at #8 someone will be willing to trade up.

Dozerdog
04-23-2006, 02:13 PM
No GM worth his salt will ever say "We don't want this top 10 guy" if they are in the top ten.

If Levy comes out and says "We are definately not interested in Young" - or any player for that matter- then it makes it that much tougher for teams to trade with you.

Earthquake Enyart
04-23-2006, 02:15 PM
I would not be shocked if we took Vince Young.

Dozerdog
04-23-2006, 02:41 PM
I would not be shocked if we took Vince Young.There are mechanics issues with him- but you can't knock his guts, leadership abilities- or hitting home runs in huge games.

I wouldn't be crushed if we took him- unless we botch rds 2-7 up

Earthquake Enyart
04-23-2006, 02:43 PM
There ar emechanics issues with him- but you can't knock his guts, leadership abilities- or hitting home runs in huge games.

I wouldn't be crushed if we took him- unless we botch rds 2-7 up
They've talked alot about Kelly since Marv has come back. About how much you need a stud QB.

Dozerdog
04-23-2006, 02:46 PM
It all depends if Young is considered a stud. Lienart yes, Cutler- maybe (could be a JP clone) Young- :idunno:

Earthquake Enyart
04-23-2006, 02:48 PM
I haven't seen much of Cutler. He didn't look all that impressive at the combine, from what little of it I saw on TV.

But I did see the Rose Bowl. Vince Young can play on my team any time.

Dozerdog
04-23-2006, 02:54 PM
I haven't seen much of Cutler. He didn't look all that impressive at the combine, from what little of it I saw on TV.

But I did see the Rose Bowl. Vince Young can play on my team any time.

What he did vs Ohio State was very impressive as well. look how stacked this draft is with Buckeye defenders. Young drove the field for the winning TD in the final minutes- in Columbus- on National TV.

So what if he tied Ice on the Wonderlic?

Earthquake Enyart
04-23-2006, 02:56 PM
Kelly only got about an 18 on the wonderlich as well.

Bradshaw was no rocket surgeon either.

casdhf
04-23-2006, 02:57 PM
http://www.maddenblitz.com/kelly/young3ce.jpg

patmoran2006
04-23-2006, 07:55 PM
What he did vs Ohio State was very impressive as well. look how stacked this draft is with Buckeye defenders. Young drove the field for the winning TD in the final minutes- in Columbus- on National TV.

So what if he tied Ice on the Wonderlic?
LOL.

What he did to Michigan in the 2005 Rose Bowl was unbelievable as well.

There are some players, not many, but some where I look outside the stats (which his are impressive). He might be dumb as rocks on Monday- Saturday but once Sunday hits I havent seen many who play smarter than him.. ever

That USC game.. Forget the rush yards.. He was so POISED and PATIENT in the pocket.. Millions watching and it was like a Sunday pick-up game to him.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
04-24-2006, 11:45 AM
The bottom line here is that nobody, not even Marv knows who we will be picking in round 1.

I think we would be open to Young before Leinhart or Cutler because of the unquestionable athletic ability in Young. Worst case, he is a Randle El/Hines Ward type guy. Young is less likely to be a total bust.

I personally would be shocked if we take any QB.....but I wouldn't be upset.
You have to agree that our QB situation is completely unsettled at this point, so if Levy is really looking for a different QB, now is the time to take one.
As others have said, this team has almost no chance of being competitive the year, so why not?

Mitchy moo
04-24-2006, 11:55 AM
I still say young's too much of a risk. But beyond that, think about this: We're still not sure what JP can do, so QB may not be a position of need.

We KNOW DT and OG are positions of need, you could argue that S and LT are positions of need, and we really could use LB cuz Spikes may not be 100% and Fletcher and Posey are getting old.

So why use the pick on a position that may or may not be one of need when there are so many that are clearly in need of improvement?

We know young can win a championship. It was a real big stage and he really did step up. All the BS about USC not having a good D and not being ready was BS. These kids played real hard and in all honesty young wanted it more, I hope Young is there and we get him (Even though I hear Ngata is our target).