• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Brasky
    Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
    • Jan 2004

Flyers rookie hurt after heavy hit

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Philadelphia rookie R.J. Umberger was knocked woozy and had to be helped off the ice in overtime Saturday night in Game 1 of the Flyers' Eastern Conference playoff series against Buffalo.

With the game tied at 2, Umberger was hurt 12 minutes into the extra period when he was leveled by Buffalo defenseman Brian Campbell at the Flyers' blue line.

Campbell blasted Umberger with a clean shoulder check as the Philadelphia player skated with his head down after taking a pass. Campbell anticipated the play and got his right shoulder down to hit Umberger across the chest and jaw.

Umberger never appeared to lose consciousness but his eyes appeared glassy as he lay on the ice for several minutes before being helped off. He was taken immediately to the locker room and the team had no immediate update of his condition.

Campbell was not penalized on the play.

Last edited by Bill Brasky; 04-22-2006, 10:34 PM.
  • SabreEleven
    • Aug 2002

Re: Flyers rookie hurt after heavy hit

They are crying about this over on the Flyers boards.

I want Campbell injured. And I don't mean simply helped off the ice. I want him off the ice on a gurney, not moving, lights and sirens to the nearest hospital where a first-rate surgical team better be scrubbed and ready to go, because he'll need it. And I don't want to see him back on the ice until the 2009-2010 season at the earliest--if ever.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
      • Jan 2004

Tell the Philly fans if their players weren't old and didn't suck they might be able to hit something other than a parked car.

I was laughing my ass off when he got nailed... one of the greatest hits of all time... even better than when Lindros got leveled (take your pick)

Comment

• SabreEleven
        • Aug 2002

Wow

Without the REFS calling 10 PPs to our 4 ... ah nevermind this league is now built for little pvssy teams like Buffalo.

Buttman's got his wish, now little pvssy guys like himself are the stars of the league. Gordie Howe must be ill watching the league he built turn to this sissified *****.

Comment

• SabreEleven
          • Aug 2002

eah, I know. That just twists the knife. About the only avenue left would be to wait until the handshake at the end of the series and deliver a sucker punch that breaks Campbell's nose at a minimum (preferably fractures an orbit and mandates ophthalmic surgery), but you know what a field day the media would have with that.

Still, maybe if Campbell is down on the ice in a pileup, it would be possible to deliver a nasty kick to the back of the skull....short version is that anything that ends Campbell's career would be fine by me. Failing that, a long, difficult and painful rehab would serve, I suppose.

This is great stuff. What a bunch of pussies.

Comment

• Dozerdog
            In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

Just looking at the title of the thread tells you these guys can't be older than 12

Comment

• pyrrhonist
              • Sep 2003

What a load of horsecrap, to be calling for an intentional cheapshot on Campbell.

However, I feel that while we should be applauding the clean hit and how great it was, I would surely hope that no one is applauding the fact that Umberger got hurt. That would be sad.

Comment

• Meathead
                Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                • Jul 2002

yet they sound like a bunch of old ladies pining for the good ole days when you could punch somebodys teeth out and not get a penalty in the playoffs

times change fellas. enjoy your memories of the broad street bullies because if the refs keep calling the games this way those times are dead
                One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Meathead
                  Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                  • Jul 2002

well if a wide receiver goes over the middle and gets hammered stupid by a safety what do you do - you cheer. same thing

i know i waited to see if the guy wasnt dead before i cheered but once he sat up and asked for a chocolate lobster beer i cheered
                  One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• pyrrhonist
                    • Sep 2003

Hell yes you cheer for a big hit!

It's after you see a guy being helped by a med team, or put on a stretcher, that you don't.

Isn't it ironic that a city that cheered for Michael Irvin nearly breaking his neck has the audacity to call foul on this? Hypocrites.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                      • Jan 2004

Living with Philly fans for 4+ years, I can tell you that the 4+ million people in the Philly metro area probably have a combined IQ of 170... and that is being generous.

These guys are idiots. They love to beat up on people and put everyone down, but the minute it happens to them it's "unfair".

They're worse than 2 year old's teething.

If it was Forsberg or Lindros nailing a guy like Drury or Peca it would have been a good hit... but since it's a Buffalo Defenseman on a Rookie Filthadelpeeon it's not kosher... no pun intended.

Comment

• clumping platelets

clean shoulder check

Comment

• PUCKER
                          • Sep 2004

There shouldnt have been a penalty. It was a CLEAN HIT!!!
                          Zapper's Hit List:
                          SABURZFAN -
                          SabreEleven -

pjw aka Mini -
                          Billsology -

Join BDZ today!!!
                          http://www.billszone.com/http://www....ad.php?t=72979

Comment

• hammerbillsfan
                            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by PUCKER
                            There shouldnt have been a penalty. It was a CLEAN HIT!!!
                            Ummm... there wasn't a penalty, just the stuff after it.

Comment

• PUCKER
                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by hammerbillsfan
                              Ummm... there wasn't a penalty, just the stuff after it.
                              Thats what I meant - There shouldve been no penalty,unlike what Hitchcock,and the fans wanted. Big wusses.

Zapper's Hit List:
                              SABURZFAN -
                              SabreEleven -

pjw aka Mini -
                              Billsology -

Join BDZ today!!!
                              http://www.billszone.com/http://www....ad.php?t=72979

Comment

Working...
                              X