PDA

View Full Version : Question about DTs

oldno711
04-24-2006, 11:52 AM
I just listened to the BTN interviews with Levy and Modrak and they stressed several times the importance of rotating defensive tackles. Does this shift the focus more onto quantity rather than quality and if so, should this reduce the need to draft someone like Bunkley or Ngata with the 8th overall pick?

mysticsoto
04-24-2006, 12:13 PM
I just listened to the BTN interviews with Levy and Modrak and they stressed several times the importance of rotating defensive tackles. Does this shift the focus more onto quantity rather than quality and if so, should this reduce the need to draft someone like Bunkley or Ngata with the 8th overall pick?

It shouldn't b'cse you still always have your primary DT and your backup that is used to spell him for a play or two. We still need top DTs and I sincerely hope we get a top one like Bunkley (or one in the 2nd rd) and then one in a later rd with hope (like Montavious Stanley)...

DraftBoy
04-24-2006, 12:14 PM
Agree with Mystico, if we take Bunkley or Wrotten in rd 1 or 2, and then Stanley in rd 5. Id be stoked for sure!

casdhf
04-24-2006, 12:23 PM
I think we have a good rotation, we just need another solid starter.

Bmax
04-24-2006, 12:47 PM
Agree with Mystico, if we take Bunkley or Wrotten in rd 1 or 2, and then Stanley in rd 5. Id be stoked for sure!

I'll pass on wroten and stanley and take MCcargo and Lewis... or even Mahelona or Jolly...Marv will not take wroten....it's a waste of time to even think about it.. The guys has major character issues .. even if the charges were dropped .. He has red flag all over him....It's a known fact teams have taken him off their boards .. Some have him dropped down to the 3rd or later..A fifth maybe but a 2nd rd pick .. no way we just can't risk the pick...

Bmax

DraftBoy
04-24-2006, 01:16 PM
I'll pass on wroten and stanley and take MCcargo and Lewis... or even Mahelona or Jolly...Marv will not take wroten....it's a waste of time to even think about it.. The guys has major character issues .. even if the charges were dropped .. He has red flag all over him....It's a known fact teams have taken him off their boards .. Some have him dropped down to the 3rd or later..A fifth maybe but a 2nd rd pick .. no way we just can't risk the pick...

Bmax

#1 its not unheard of to see Marv take a character issue guy, Moulds had a similar situation and we took him #1. The weed thing indeed looks bad but Im not gonna hang a kid bc he smoked a joint or 200. I have never done it but thats his call. I hate how people get a hold of one bad time in a kids life and say he has a million and one red flags, can you name any other incidents aside from the two I just described? He wont drop to the 3rd round and I dont see how its a risk pick at all, he never once let his off the field issues affect his on the field play, which is the main place these kids needed to be looked at.

YardRat
04-24-2006, 01:38 PM
You need both...quality starters, and a quantity of back-ups to rotate.

oldno711
04-24-2006, 01:40 PM
Minor character issues aside, he would be a steal if he fell to us in the 3rd round.

Bmax
04-24-2006, 01:46 PM
The problem with the pick is that you are investing millions of dollars on a guy .. Who may have test positive when he is a pro ..you lose him for a couple of games then what....The difference between him and mccargo is not great of enough for me take him..

Bmax ..

Let's just see what happens .. my money is on the kid falling into rd 3...

oldno711
04-24-2006, 01:53 PM
The difference between him and mccargo is not great of enough for me take him..

I agree. McCargo would look great in a Bills uni...the only difference is I doubt he'll be there in the 3rd. If Wroten slips and we can snag him with one of our 3rds I'd take him in a second.

Bmax
04-25-2006, 02:11 AM
MCCARGO IN RD 2.......

LifetimeBillsFan
04-25-2006, 02:14 AM
I definitely see the Bills taking at least two DTs in this draft--one early and one in the middle-to-late rounds (4-5).

While I think that there is a greater need for a 3-gap DT who can take on the double-teams consistently, like Ngata, at this point, given the way that the scouts and Modrak were talking about Bunkley and the need to rotate D-linemen, I could see them taking Bunkley, even though he is more of a 1 gap penetrator, over Ngata with their first pick and, then, trying to pick up a 3-gap run-stuffer later in the draft.

The thing about Ngata that adds to his value is that he can play in multiple defensive fronts as a 3-4 NT, a 2 gap DT or as a 3 gap DT and, even perhaps, as a 3-4 DE. The Bills don't really need a guy with that kind of flexibility: they need a 3 gap DT. Bunkley can play the 3 gap spot, but, like Tripplett, is really a 1 gap DT. If the Bills draft Bunkley, they would have two pretty good 1 gap DTs to rotate at that critical position. They could take a DT who is strictly a 3 gap player who may not be a great penetrator but can take on the double teams later on. It depends on whether they think that Bunkley can give them enough at the 1 gap and filling in at the 3 gap to compensate for having to go with Anderson and a lower ranked DT at the 3 gap spot most of the time. IMHO their evaluation of Anderson will have a big impact on which direction they decide to go in.

I'm still giving a small advantage to Ngata, but I would not be at all surprised if they go with Bunkley instead--especially if they can get a trade down offer from a team that really wants Ngata or someone else who may still be left on the board at the # 8 spot.

FlyingDutchman
04-25-2006, 10:42 AM
You know, with all this talk about about taking Brod bc he fits our style better, it reminds me of something. Every team seems to think that Ngata is the best DT hands down. Remember when we had a chance at the best OT in the draft (Mckinnie), and we thought we knew better? That didnt work out too well for us, hope this doesnt happend again.

Mahdi
04-25-2006, 11:26 AM
Does anyone know how good Jonathan Lewis is from VA Tech? He seems to fit what we are doing on defense. Tatonka you must know about him, is he the real deal?

LifetimeBillsFan
04-26-2006, 02:17 AM
Does anyone know how good Jonathan Lewis is from VA Tech? He seems to fit what we are doing on defense. Tatonka you must know about him, is he the real deal?

He looked pretty good in the Va Tech games that I saw, but, as I recall, the knock on him is that he lacks size. At 6'1" tall, he is shorter than a lot of NFL coaches like their DTs to be--they figure someone that short isn't going to knock down a lot of passes. And, he is a little on the light side: he's listed at 296.

I must admit that I didn't pay a lot of attention to him specifically in the Va Tech games that I watched, so I can't break his game down for you like I can with some other players who I made a point of concentrating on. But, I do recall that there was one game that he played in this year that I saw (Miami, BC, Virginia or their bowl game were the ones I saw) when he made several really good plays and got a lot of mention from the announcers--that's actually when I heard that he might be considered a little small for the NFL. One thing that I can say for him is that no team ran well up the middle consistently against Va Tech the last couple of years, so he must have been doing what the coaches wanted pretty well.

Not having really focused on him in the games that I saw Va Tech play, I'm not sure how good of a fit he would be with the Bills. He seemed to be a high-motor guy, but I'm not sure about the technical side of his game. Maybe someone else can offer a bit more insight on that.

alohabillsfan
04-26-2006, 05:35 AM
I believe Whoten (SP) failed the drug test at the combine and will have to enter into the NFL's program, if he is in the program and fails he will be gone for a year ( I think that is what they reported), I would not pick him till round 5 based on that info.

Mahdi
04-26-2006, 05:41 AM
Thanks LBF.