PDA

View Full Version : Character and how he fits into the system determine draft picks

ICE74129
04-24-2006, 11:53 AM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3728

Interesting. This is why I say, Someone might not be as highly rated on the Bills board as they are on other boards and vice versa.

They want to know how will he fit into what we want to run, and what is his character like?

Pinkerton Security
04-24-2006, 12:28 PM
For sure, character has become a big issue in the draft in recent years. Case in point this year is Marcus Vick. Loads of talent, bloodline is strong, yet some experts say he might not even be drafted and will become a priority FA. How can a kid with so much talent not get drafted? no character.

ps. god forbid the bills ever take vick after reading that article....or ever.....pretty sure levy would be assassinated

TedMock
04-24-2006, 12:35 PM
I think we all look too deep into the character thing. If a college kid did something stupid a couple of years ago, but has been a "good" citizen since, it's moot. He made a mistake, and moved on. If a guy is in trouble continuously throughout college and even going into the draft, he has obvious issues. See Lawrence Phillips.

When I think character for these teams, I don't think of angels, model citizens, church volunteers, etc. I think "Is this guy a good team player, or not?" Does he play hard? Does he have the backs of his team on game day? Is he a positive locker room force?

Many folks referred to Eric Moulds as "classy" up until last season. Why? Because up until last year he had the above attributes. Of course, off the field, he was not a "character" guy. Domestic abuse, and illegit children do not make a good, character, man.

I'm not saying to just forgive-and-forget with everybody, but we really need to think about how bad a guy's character is/isn't. I don't want Winston Justice at #8, I'd like him in a trade down, but not top 10. Character issues? Not in the last two years. So at 19 years old he did something stupid, so did I.......a few times. At 32, married with children, and in a successful career, I try not to act like a goofy 19 year old. People grow up.........sometimes!

Pinkerton Security
04-24-2006, 12:45 PM
I think we all look too deep into the character thing. If a college kid did something stupid a couple of years ago, but has been a "good" citizen since, it's moot. He made a mistake, and moved on. If a guy is in trouble continuously throughout college and even going into the draft, he has obvious issues. See Lawrence Phillips.

When I think character for these teams, I don't think of angels, model citizens, church volunteers, etc. I think "Is this guy a good team player, or not?" Does he play hard? Does he have the backs of his team on game day? Is he a positive locker room force?

Many folks referred to Eric Moulds as "classy" up until last season. Why? Because up until last year he had the above attributes. Of course, off the field, he was not a "character" guy. Domestic abuse, and illegit children do not make a good, character, man.

I'm not saying to just forgive-and-forget with everybody, but we really need to think about how bad a guy's character is/isn't. I don't want Winston Justice at #8, I'd like him in a trade down, but not top 10. Character issues? Not in the last two years. So at 19 years old he did something stupid, so did I.......a few times. At 32, married with children, and in a successful career, I try not to act like a goofy 19 year old. People grow up.........sometimes!

I agree with almost everything you say, except for the fact that teams look "too far into it". TO was no model citizen OR locker room leader. I'm not ever going to say that. However, he did nearly (with help from injuries) single-handedly tear apart a championship caliber team. If one bad egg can do that, then it seems like character should be sometihng teams really pay attention to.

Also, i understand TO is a pretty extreme case.

don137
04-24-2006, 12:53 PM
Wasn't Justice suspended for a whole year back in 2004? Sue to the serverity I would be shocked if the Bills draft him even if they trade down and he is available...