PDA

View Full Version : Gauthier's Hit---Worthy of Suspension?

pyrrhonist
04-24-2006, 10:13 PM
Well, I unfortunately had to listen to the first part of the 2nd while on the road, so I didn't get to see it, but......was "Visored Poon" Denis Gauthier's hit from behind on Vanek worthy of a suspension? A dirty hit from behind by Gauthier on Kyle Wellwood (Which busted him wide open) got him suspended, so, will this one? TSN head Bob McKenzie thinks so:

McKenzie: Gauthier should be suspended

TSN.ca Staff

4/24/2006

A player like Denis Gauthier of the Philadelphia Flyers has a reputation in the National Hockey League. When a player like that hits someone hard, many like to jump to conclusions.

That being said, Gauthier's hit from behind on Toronto's Kyle Wellwood near the end of the regular season was a blatant cheap shot and it earned him a two-game suspension.

He can say sorry all he wants but, obviously, Gauthier didn't learn his lesson, because on Monday night he did it again against Tomas Vanek of the Buffalo Sabres. It was a dangerous play that resulted in a five minute major.

Now, earlier this season when Gauthier hit Jeremy Roenick with a good open-ice check, everyone complained that he was trying to take J.R. out of the game. Well, that was a good hockey hit. But Gauthier's hit on Wellwood and the hit from behind on Vanek were garbage.

The rest of the article is here:

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp

hammerbillsfan
04-24-2006, 10:17 PM
He won't be suspended cause there has been a few of these hits in the playoffs so far and no one has been suspended. :down:

pyrrhonist
04-24-2006, 10:19 PM
He won't be suspended cause there has been a few of the hits in the playoffs so far and no one has been suspended. :down:

I need to see it for myself on the "highlight", since I only heard it on Sirius on the road home. However, Gauthier is always a dirtbag, and his hit on Wellwood a month back was absolutely despicable. :down:

However, being that the NHL disciplinarian is "Double Standard" Campbell, I'm sure he'll allow his buddy Bobby Clarke to keep his favorite visored blueliner for the rest of the series, when this punk should be hitting the golf course early. :down: :down:

hammerbillsfan
04-24-2006, 10:21 PM
:meh: Colin Campbell didn't even see the 3rd period dirtyness live tonight since we switched off the Sabres game.

clumping platelets
04-24-2006, 10:22 PM
I didn't see the hit......I was too busy causing trouble in the Flyers forum at hockeysfuture LOL

JD
04-24-2006, 10:28 PM
That hit was so so so so f'ed up!!
Vanek was crosschecked from behind. He did a summersault... IF Vanek didnt do a tuck, he would have broke his neck/gotten paralyzed without a doubt.

Bill Brasky
04-24-2006, 11:23 PM
He got suspended for a similar hit on some guy from the Leafs a few weeks back... obviously he hasn't learned his lesson so get this piece of trash off the ice.

pyrrhonist
04-24-2006, 11:28 PM
He got suspended for a similar hit on some guy from the Leafs a few weeks back... obviously he hasn't learned his lesson so get this piece of trash off the ice.

Yes, indeed!

A dirty hit from behind by Gauthier on Kyle Wellwood (Which busted him wide open) got him suspended, so, will this one?

:D

pyrrhonist
04-25-2006, 12:49 AM
Thanks to TSN.ca finally putting their video highlights up, I got to see Gauthier's hit.

The verdict is in from me---It was dirty. I truly believe that could've caused some serious damage had Vanek not adjusted to it when he took it. It was nothing more than another cheap ass attempt by that fool to injure someone. As much as someone would question my credibility for quoting Sean Avery, I agree with him in what he said about Gauthier flying around and hitting people without any accountability. Someone should beat his ass in the next game, but I honestly hope that "Double Standard" Campbell does something about it first.

pyrrhonist
04-25-2006, 03:17 PM
"Double Standard" Campbell strikes again! :rolleyes:

I can't believe how the other teams (Especially larger market ones) are allowed to headhunt and have free reign on our players, but when Briere high sticked Leetch on a play that wasn't nearly his own fault, he got the gate for 2 games. :mad: :down:

Meathead
04-25-2006, 05:11 PM
it was a cheap shot for sure but vanek came through it fine so there wont be any suspension

pyrrhonist
04-25-2006, 07:37 PM
it was a cheap shot for sure but vanek came through it fine so there wont be any suspension

The punishment should always fit the intent, not the result. It was obvious Gauthier was head hunting (As he usually does), and he should've been punished accordingly. He did the same exact thing to Wellwood a month ago, but I guess since that was a Toronto player, it warranted the suspension. This is just a pissant Buffalo player. :rolleyes: