PDA

View Full Version : Ya know, heres a few anti OL, DL points

X-Era
04-25-2006, 07:04 AM
If OT's and DT's are the key to the Bills success, why didnt it work for the Lions?

What did stud DT Shaun Rogers do for the Lions win loss column?

How about Jeff Backus? Dominic Riaola?

All were highly touted OL and DL players, a few have been great. But the Lions still suck.

Is it TRULY a given that improving our O and D lines is all this team needs?

And if not, wouldnt you rather spend your top pick on a point scorer?

Pride
04-25-2006, 07:08 AM
DT has to be a key component. The Bills need a DT to complete their defense IMO.

Earthquake Enyart
04-25-2006, 07:08 AM
You forgot former #1 draft pick Aaron Gibson.

R. Rich
04-25-2006, 07:10 AM
Raiola is a serviceable center while Backus is considered adequate. The offensive line, while not dominant, is not nearly as big an issue for Detroit as their defense has been the past few years. The Lions spent a bunch of high draft picks on "point scorers" in recent years, and that didn't help them either.

It could be that a team needs balance in order to win.

Dozerdog
04-25-2006, 07:10 AM
If OT's and DT's are the key to the Bills success, why didnt it work for the Lions?

What did stud DT Shaun Rogers do for the Lions win loss column?

How about Jeff Backus? Dominic Riaola?

All were highly touted OL and DL players, a few have been great. But the Lions still suck.

Is it TRULY a given that improving our O and D lines is all this team needs?

And if not, wouldnt you rather spend your top pick on a point scorer?

If anything- it gives ammo to the argument that you take positions like OL in the middle to late rounds.

You draft speed and QBs early, muscle later. And never kickers

X-Era
04-25-2006, 07:29 AM
If anything- it gives ammo to the argument that you take positions like OL in the middle to late rounds.

I tend to agree but its in the face of many here who clamor for guys like Bunkley, Ngata, and Justice.

EDS
04-25-2006, 07:38 AM
Hasn't Detroit spent at least 4 of their past 5 first round picks - and we are talking top 10 picks here - on wide receivers and a quarterback? Doesn't that fact run counter to your argument? I am not necessarily saying picking one thing or the other is good, but you can make strong arguments either way. Balance, as someone mentioned, and a cohessive team are far more important than anything else.

Besides, Rogers was not a first round pick; Raiola and Backus were not top ten picks.

justasportsfan
04-25-2006, 07:41 AM

two words..... Joey Harrington.

ICE74129
04-25-2006, 08:13 AM
I tend to agree but its in the face of many here who clamor for guys like Bunkley, Ngata, and Justice.

Here is your answer...who did the picking? I have much more confidence in Modrak being able to run this draft without Ol' Whitey sticking his friggin nose in. BTW...Modrak had no problems taking linemen that worked out in Philly in the first round

Dozerdog
04-25-2006, 08:17 AM

Bunkley and even NGata would qualify- they are by far much faster than your average DTs

R. Rich
04-25-2006, 08:29 AM

The talent pool you have to choose from has something to do w/ your strategy. What worked for someone in 1983 doesn't necessarily work for another person in 2006.

Throne Logic
04-25-2006, 09:31 AM

Two stronger words . . . . Matt Millen.

Jan Reimers
04-25-2006, 10:46 AM
We definitely need O and D linemen - but we have to do a better job of evaluating their talent. We simply can't afford another Eric Flowers or Mike Williams, but their lack of success - or the Lions' problems with their picks - shouldn't deter us from drafting to beef up our lines.

X-Era
04-25-2006, 02:59 PM

Following your line of hinking and hatred for JP, we need to either draft the next Manning or trade for him BEFORE drafting any lineman.

X-Era
04-25-2006, 03:00 PM
Here is your answer...who did the picking? I have much more confidence in Modrak being able to run this draft without Ol' Whitey sticking his friggin nose in. BTW...Modrak had no problems taking linemen that worked out in Philly in the first round

How did he do with Mike Williams? How about Ron Edwards? Tim Anderson?

X-Era
04-25-2006, 03:03 PM
We definitely need O and D linemen - but we have to do a better job of evaluating their talent. We simply can't afford another Eric Flowers or Mike Williams, but their lack of success - or the Lions' problems with their picks - shouldn't deter us from drafting to beef up our lines.

THAT, actually is a great point! and I totally agree.

I also agree with Pride and others here. Its a whole team. But I dont agree with anyone who says our whole solution is the lines, it may be, but it might also not be. And theres just as much lack of talent at other positions to warrant them as well.

In the end, the old axiom of building your team in the trenches is time tested and true. However, a team this "needy" could go any route in the draft and should not be labeled stupid.

X-Era
04-25-2006, 03:04 PM

So, good lines and a crappy QB means we will end up not going to the playoffs? what a concept!

Just points that us fans dont know as much as we think we do.

BTW, I include myself in "us fans"

ICE74129
04-25-2006, 03:10 PM
How did he do with Mike Williams? How about Ron Edwards? Tim Anderson?

He didn't pick them, TD Did. Now I know some 'Expert' trys to lump TM into the TD deal saying he had great impute, that is pure crap. Look at the success if Phillys moves under TM vs the Moves of the Bills with TD in charge.

We will now get to see what TM is like in this draft.

ICE74129
04-25-2006, 03:11 PM
So, good lines and a crappy QB means we will end up not going to the playoffs? what a concept!

Just points that us fans dont know as much as we think we do.

BTW, I include myself in "us fans"

Great QB with Crap line = Bad QB play.

Average QB with great line = Good QB play.

Good QB with a good to great line = Great QB play.

that is how it is.

jmb1099
04-25-2006, 03:17 PM
Coaching, discipline, heart, pride, and God help me character. The most physically gifted athletes in the world are not worth spit if they don't have good direction, good gameplan, a love for the game, a willingness to outwork the guy next to you or across from you, enough self respect to take pride in your work, but not be so arrogant as to say I'm the best there is verbally, rather say it with excellent gameplay. It won't matter who we draft if these qualities are not in place.

Philagape
04-25-2006, 03:18 PM
If you want to talk about the Lions, their strategy of a WR -- "point scorers" -- in the first round for three straight years worked much better, eh?

Mr. Pink
04-25-2006, 03:23 PM
Great QB with Crap line = Bad QB play.

Average QB with great line = Good QB play.

Good QB with a good to great line = Great QB play.

that is how it is.

John Elway with crappy line and no running game from 86-89 = great QB play.

You can have a mediocre line with a really good QB and not get bad QB play.

You just need someone who can make the reads quickly and get the ball off into the skill players hands who can make plays happen.

X-Era
04-25-2006, 04:41 PM
Coaching, discipline, heart, pride, and God help me character. The most physically gifted athletes in the world are not worth spit if they don't have good direction, good gameplan, a love for the game, a willingness to outwork the guy next to you or across from you, enough self respect to take pride in your work, but not be so arrogant as to say I'm the best there is verbally, rather say it with excellent gameplay. It won't matter who we draft if these qualities are not in place.

A-frikkin-men