PDA

View Full Version : Game Three at Philly

Bufftp
04-25-2006, 09:46 AM
Game Three at Philly
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
How do you see this game going down? Will Philly play Hockey or will the revert to “cheap shot artistry”? Can Philly play Hockey? Will the young Sabers go in into the game a little overconfident/cocky after an 8-2 win and not fully show up?
discuss-<o:p></o:p>

Meathead
04-25-2006, 10:25 AM
i dont think they have any choice but to try to test the border of smart physical play

they simply cannot skate with the sabres and must try to slow them down or every game will be like last night

theyre also going to have to throw some element of the neutral zone trap in there because thats the only style that has worked against the sabres all year

even though its only 0-2 that team looks like its in even deeper trouble because they really have had no answer to keep the sabres attack in check.

due to otherwordly goaltending and a boatload of blocked shots they managed to only allow 3 goals in 50+ shots in game 1. but then after holding the sabres to only 28 shots in game 2 they let them score 8 goals off those shots because they couldnt shut down the goalmouth passes like they did in game 1

in two games already it appears like theyve run out of options. theres no way they can match the sabres huge edge in speed so theyre going to just have to take their chances and see if they can counter it by riding the line of the "old" nhl playoff style without becoming goons

if im a philly fan it looks even bleaker than just the 0-2 hole

Meathead
04-25-2006, 10:37 AM
theyre going to have to try to mimic the style of the old bruins team in the 80s that had cashman and pederson as the one dominant scoring line. the strategy was to play sound defense, block a lot of shots, and wait patiently for breakout opportunities to score. they were also very good at drawing penalties in order to get their top line on the ice with a man advantage. those bruins teams were routinely outshot but they usually won

thats a dangerous style that most teams cant make work but i dont see the flyers having much choice at this point

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Philly played the end of game 2 to intimidate the Sabres for game 3. If the Sabres score first, each Flyer player might just explode right on the spot.

Bill Brasky
04-25-2006, 08:51 PM
i'm curious to see if they continue to call the games the same way.

PUCKER
04-26-2006, 12:48 AM
I expect Phily to come out hitting us around and I also worry about the officiating a bit. Hopefully our speed,offense,and defense,and goaltending will conitinue to prevail.

Ebenezer
04-26-2006, 02:20 AM
I expect a "new style" NHL hockey game. This has happened countless times in the past where a team tries to send a "message" then only to come out and play hockey. There will be too many eyes on this game. If Philly tries anything stupid the refs will have to call penalties and that will kill Philly.

The "physicality" is over for now. I expect a split in Philly.

SabreEleven
04-26-2006, 02:55 AM
Sabres are going to sweep. They only thing that could stop the Sabres is tired legs and with a day off between games, I don't see that happening. Sabres in 4