PDA

View Full Version : Bills, Jets hope draft will help close gap between them and Pats, Fins

justasportsfan
04-25-2006, 01:22 PM
Buffalo Bills

What’s happened since the season ended: The Bills fired GM Tom Donahoe and replaced him with Hall of Fame coach Marv Levy, who has no experience as a GM and has been out of the NFL since retiring as a coach after the 1997 season. Then, coach Mike Mularkey abruptly resigned, leading to a hurried coaching search and the hiring of ex-Bears coach Dick Jauron. The new regime took a different tack in signing free agents, picking up lesser-known veterans who are good character guys and are good fits for the new schemes being installed. But some around the league question the decision-making of the Bills’ brain trust and wonder how much better the free-agent signings of DT Larry Tripplett, TE Robert Royal, QB Craig Nall, C Melvin Fowler and WR Peerless Price really made the Bills.

What’s still needed: The Bills have gaping holes at defensive tackle and offensive left tackle that have to be filled before training camp. Depth at linebacker and safety also needs to be boosted.

What direction they’ll go on Draft Day: Unless the Bills trade down from No. 8, they will likely pick up the best player available, which may be S-CB Michael Huff of Texas. His size, speed and playmaking ability would likely get him into the starting lineup immediately. If Huff is gone, the Bills could trade down and still get a top-quality defensive tackle (Florida State's Brodrick Bunkley?), a major need after letting Sam Adams, Ron Edwards and Justin Bannan go this offseason. The Bills will also likely add an offensive tackle, a linebacker and a running back on Day One, with more linemen and a wide receiver as possible additions on Day Two.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Commentary/Columns/2006/holbrook042506.htm

Saratoga Slim
04-25-2006, 01:47 PM
RB on day one? I'll be surprised. I hope not.

I could get excited about Leon Washington in the 4th or 5th though.

Jauron733
04-25-2006, 03:16 PM
I kind of object to thinking there is any substantial gulf between ourselves and the Fins other than what the final record indicated. We should have beaten them easily if not for completely incompetent coaching last year. They are probably the most overrated team in the league, IMO.

OpIv37
04-25-2006, 03:22 PM
Whoever wrote that article doesn't know **** about the Bills. First, OG is a much bigger priorty than LT (although gandy could be upgraded- our guards are horrid). Second, Bannan and Edwards were never contributors (they got their asses handed to them last year) and Sam Adams was a conscious decision because of his attitude last year (and he had an off-season as well). DT was a huge need BEFORE these guys left, not BECAUSE these guys left.

I hate it when people look at a sheet of FA gains and losses and think they know enough about a team to write an article.