PDA

View Full Version : Bills building coalition of power

G. Host
04-25-2006, 10:04 PM
While Wilson only recently began talking openly, extensively and publicly about his franchise's muddled future here, the topic has long served as a gathering point for those with powerful names or politically empowered positions.

The talks, which began about four years ago, were kept hushed, never made public. They happened at the behest of Stanford Lipsey, the well-connected publisher of The Buffalo News, and at various points included Schumer, Russert, former Bills quarterback and Congressman Jack Kemp and football Commissioner Paul Tagliabue.

Lipsey won't reveal details of the discussions except to say that they centered on what would happen to the Bills after Wilson's death.

Approximately one year ago, Lipsey ended the talks. "I felt I had taken it as far as it was going to go," he says, "and I just left it at that."

Was a grand scheme hatched? It seems not, but even if there was, the NFL's new collective-bargaining agreement has - by Wilson's estimation - crashed all succession plans.

"Before, I was going to sell the team," Wilson, 87, told reporters during his Sunday, April 9, press conference with Schumer. "I don't know now. It (the labor pact) has changed everything."
http://buffalo.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories/2006/04/24/story1.html?hbx=e_sw

Well it appears this is part of what was going behind the scenes.

G. Host
04-25-2006, 10:17 PM
This appears to clear up some of anti-trust / no anti-trust arguments

Gary Roberts, a sports law professor at Tulane University, points out that there are few, if any, politically popular issues on which Congress can push the NFL. An antitrust expert, Roberts says the NFL has an exemption that allows for every team's road games - and home sellouts - to be broadcast at home.

While lawyers often lie or slant interpictation to fit clients' needs, a broadcasting snti-trust ruling is different than a sports anti-trust 'exemption' like baseball.

ublinkwescore
04-26-2006, 12:19 AM
nice double post - you're making me proud!!

LifetimeBillsFan
04-26-2006, 02:42 AM
This appears to clear up some of anti-trust / no anti-trust arguments

Gary Roberts, a sports law professor at Tulane University, points out that there are few, if any, politically popular issues on which Congress can push the NFL. An antitrust expert, Roberts says the NFL has an exemption that allows for every team's road games - and home sellouts - to be broadcast at home.

While lawyers often lie or slant interpictation to fit clients' needs, a broadcasting snti-trust ruling is different than a sports anti-trust 'exemption' like baseball.

What he doesn't say is that Congress doesn't need to have a legitimate issue or one that they actually intend to act on to hold hearings where they can ask the teams to open up their books to their investigators and that is something that none of the owners of a major league sports team wants to do. It is that threat--more than any action that Congress might take--that strikes fear into the hearts of the owners and leagues.

Michael82
04-26-2006, 08:28 AM
What he doesn't say is that Congress doesn't need to have a legitimate issue or one that they actually intend to act on to hold hearings where they can ask the teams to open up their books to their investigators and that is something that none of the owners of a major league sports team wants to do. It is that threat--more than any action that Congress might take--that strikes fear into the hearts of the owners and leagues.
Good post. :bf1: