PDA

View Full Version : more notes from draft luncheon

Tatonka
04-26-2006, 01:26 AM
per the scouts and TM/levy on the videos at bb.com

huff is a free safety.. he is not the guy you want to come down and make the hits, although he can when he has to.. but they see him as a FS w/ cover ability.. so if he is the pick.. he replaces vincent.. i really dont see us taking him.

ngata is a 2 gap guy specifically, but he is so good, that you fit him into your scheme.. i didnt get the impression he would be our pick.

bunkley.. they like him alot.. fits what we need perfect.. and levy went on to say that we need MULTIPLE DL. i see us drafting 2-3 guy for the DL. they talked about what a high character guy he is too. no red flags.

colledge - LT or guard.. got the impression TM likes him a lot. talked alot about how he was real impressive at the senior bowl.

whitworth - strictly RT.

Winston - RIGHT TACKLE OR GUARD.. that was surprising.. i guess he will not be our pick.

paul mcQuistan - another name they discussed.. very physical.

ryven
04-26-2006, 05:07 AM

I have never heard of this guy anyone know anything about him?

and

what position he plays?

gonzo1105
04-26-2006, 05:47 AM
all i know is he is from weber state

YardRat
04-26-2006, 05:57 AM
Tackle

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ot/paulmcquistan.html

Earthquake Enyart
04-26-2006, 06:08 AM
In a cover 2, there isn't much difference between a SS and a FS.

ICE74129
04-26-2006, 06:31 AM
In a cover 2, there isn't much difference between a SS and a FS.

Thats the thing, Huff might not fit our system. Now I know I will burn for that, but If you look at Huff his tackles are above the waist most of the time, that won't cut it in the NFL.

Earthquake Enyart
04-26-2006, 06:32 AM
Huff is very fast. That's what you need in a cover 2 S.

ICE74129
04-26-2006, 06:34 AM
Huff is very fast. That's what you need in a cover 2 S.

Until he bounces off NFL WR's and RB's because he tackles too high. Remember Vincent against C Williams in the Tampa game?

jdbillsfan
04-26-2006, 07:31 AM

Winston - RIGHT TACKLE OR GUARD.. that was surprising.. i guess he will not be our pick.

Could be because he has short arms.

Dr. Lecter
04-26-2006, 07:38 AM
Just remember to take anything said by Marv and crew with a grain of salt. At this time of year, NFL executives are as honest as politicians.

ICE74129
04-26-2006, 07:59 AM
Just remember to take anything said by Marv and crew with a grain of salt. At this time of year, NFL executives are as honest as politicians.

See doc that is what cracks me up. I have said this before and need to again, Fans say 'ignore all GM's its pure crap/ a smoke screen' Then turn around and take Modrak and Marv's lunchon like it is the gospel.

Uh guys....Marv and Tom are smoke screening/ BS'ing as well.

MVP
04-26-2006, 08:08 AM
Until he bounces off NFL WR's and RB's because he tackles too high. Remember Vincent against C Williams in the Tampa game?
He's the only one who tackled in that game.

DraftBoy
04-26-2006, 08:40 AM

huff is a free safety.. he is not the guy you want to come down and make the hits, although he can when he has to.. but they see him as a FS w/ cover ability.. so if he is the pick.. he replaces vincent.. i really dont see us taking him.

ngata is a 2 gap guy specifically, but he is so good, that you fit him into your scheme.. i didnt get the impression he would be our pick.

bunkley.. they like him alot.. fits what we need perfect.. and levy went on to say that we need MULTIPLE DL. i see us drafting 2-3 guy for the DL. they talked about what a high character guy he is too. no red flags.

colledge - LT or guard.. got the impression TM likes him a lot. talked alot about how he was real impressive at the senior bowl.

whitworth - strictly RT.

Couple of things, one of Huff's strong points is his ability to hit so Im not quite sure where that comment would come from, if he couldnt hit, he wouldnt be the top rated safety, bc a player like Whitner would be.

Ngata is not going to be the pick, but Bunkley is going to be.

Colledge is garbage and I hope we dont waste a 2nd rounder on him

Id love to get McQuinstan in the 6th or 7th round.

RedEyE
04-26-2006, 08:40 AM
That's an odd observation about Huff, in my opinion. All the film that I've seen on this guy was of him coming up inside the box and make some great open field plays, breaking down RBs and leveling unsuspecting QBs. I thought of him as more of a SS with sniper instinct, and FS speed.

RedEyE
04-26-2006, 08:41 AM
Couple of things, one of Huff's strong points is his ability to hit so Im not quite sure where that comment would come from, if he couldnt hit, he wouldnt be the top rated safety, bc a player like Whitner would be.

You and I are on the same page. Must be something in the water down here. :up:

ICE74129
04-26-2006, 08:46 AM
That's an odd observation about Huff, in my opinion. All the film that I've seen on this guy was of him coming up inside the box and make some great open field plays, breaking down RBs and leveling unsuspecting QBs. I thought of him as more of a SS with sniper instinct, and FS speed.

Go back and look at every one of them again. He hits HIGH, VERY HIGH. That won't fly in the NFL. Hell sometimes he jumps on guys, again won't fly in the NFL.

He wouldn't be a SS in the NFL.

lordofgun
04-26-2006, 08:50 AM
Thats the thing, Huff might not fit our system. Now I know I will burn for that, but If you look at Huff his tackles are above the waist most of the time, that won't cut it in the NFL.
I haven't seen or heard this anywhere. Has every draft expert overlooked this major flaw?

RedEyE
04-26-2006, 08:57 AM
Go back and look at every one of them again. He hits HIGH, VERY HIGH. That won't fly in the NFL. Hell sometimes he jumps on guys, again won't fly in the NFL.

He wouldn't be a SS in the NFL.

It's been several weeks since I've saw the film on this guy, but I remember thinking when watching him how his open field tackling ability was similar to that of Antoine Winfield. I thought he was making some great plays and his tackling seemed text book.

ICE74129
04-26-2006, 09:00 AM
It's been several weeks since I've saw the film on this guy, but I remember thinking when watching him how his open field tackling ability was similar to that of Antoine Winfield. I thought he was making some great plays and his tackling seemed text book.

Winfield was known for taking out legs, just ask the TE from the Titans about 4-5 years back.

ICE74129
04-26-2006, 09:02 AM
I haven't seen or heard this anywhere. Has every draft expert overlooked this major flaw?

Fair enough. All I ask is look at his highlights on ESPN, NFLN etc this week. Tell me how many times he hits the guy in the shoulders to take him down. Also look at how many times he grabs a guy (shoulders/ Jersey) and spins him down vs what Winfield used to do and that was go for the thighs/ knee level.

RedEyE
04-26-2006, 09:39 AM
Huff video:

http://www.15sports.com/michael-huff-video-highlight-reel-michael-huff-nfl-draft

To be fair Ice, he definitly made more than his fair share of high tackles. I will say this, however, he shows he knows how to tie them up and take them down too. Watch the video again. He has long arms and rolls them down the ball carry to their waist on some tackles, other times he just flat out levels the ball carrier making text book plays.

He can hit a QB high. That's acceptable. And most RBs if you get them behind the LOS before they accellerate, a high tackle isn't at all a bad thing. In the flats and downfield, that something he will have to quit doing.

DraftBoy
04-26-2006, 11:37 AM
Awesome Vid Red, really makes me hope we pick Huff more and more now, and that all this really is smoke and mirrors. The kid tackles amazingly and just all the turnovers he causes, hed be a huge assest to this team. My favorite play of the vid was probably the clip against Rice v. the reverse where he slams the guy down for like a 15 yard loss. You can also really see his speed well in thos videos. He makes other players look like they are walking.

Kerr
04-26-2006, 12:16 PM
one thing some old school guys may like is that he doesn't really showboat when he scores. He lays the ball down and regroups.

ICE74129
04-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Awesome Vid Red, really makes me hope we pick Huff more and more now, and that all this really is smoke and mirrors. The kid tackles amazingly and just all the turnovers he causes, hed be a huge assest to this team. My favorite play of the vid was probably the clip against Rice v. the reverse where he slams the guy down for like a 15 yard loss. You can also really see his speed well in thos videos. He makes other players look like they are walking.

We need DT more than safety. Bunkley in the first

DraftBoy
04-26-2006, 12:41 PM
We need DT more than safety. Bunkley in the first

I think we need safety more bc of how valuable they are to the Cover 2, therefor its Huff..I can do the same thing.

Tatonka
04-26-2006, 01:33 PM
the FS and SS are not interchangable in a cover 2.

dont tell me that lynch and jackson were the same guy and could easily be switched.

i am glad we wont be drafting huff.

ICE74129
04-26-2006, 04:21 PM
I think we need safety more bc of how valuable they are to the Cover 2, therefor its Huff..I can do the same thing.

Safetys are made better with a good pass rush and teams not being able to run. You can take an average secondary and make them look great if your line is good. You can take an all pro secondary and make them look bad if you can't stop the run nor create a pass rush.

Thats simple football.

DraftBoy
04-26-2006, 06:30 PM
the FS and SS are not interchangable in a cover 2.

dont tell me that lynch and jackson were the same guy and could easily be switched.

i am glad we wont be drafting huff.

Dont count your chickens before they hatch.

DraftBoy
04-26-2006, 06:32 PM
Safetys are made better with a good pass rush and teams not being able to run. You can take an average secondary and make them look great if your line is good. You can take an all pro secondary and make them look bad if you can't stop the run nor create a pass rush.

Thats simple football.

You can also make a bad DL look better by creating coverage sacks, which are common place in the Cover 2 defense if your DB's are good enough. I dont care how many DT's and DE's we draft, we are not going to generate a huge pass rush, we just dont have the players for it.

acehole
04-26-2006, 07:32 PM

Huff fits any system

patmoran2006
04-26-2006, 07:59 PM
There are certain defensive players that fit ANY system and in this draft there are FOUR of them in the first round: Mario, Hawk, Huff and Ernie Sims.

Dozerdog
04-26-2006, 08:05 PM
I have never heard of this guy anyone know anything about him?

and

what position he plays?Page 40, Billszone 2006 Draft Guide.

Get the program that will get you with the program.