PDA

View Full Version : If we trade down we wont' get a DT.

ICE74129
04-26-2006, 09:56 AM
Teams drafting below us that very well take Bunkley or Ngata...

Detroit
Arizona
St Louis
Cleveland
Baltimore
Philly.

St. Louis lost a DT this offseason.

Cleveland after the probowl hinted that they would have a card with Ngata's name on it ready to turn in.

Baltimore lost a damn good DT this offseason and Ray Lewis is *****ing about needing big men in front of him.

It has been noted on this board that Philly was thinking about possibly trading up for a top DT.

If the Bills are sure Bunkley can come in and make an immediate impact, we have to stay at #8 and take him. If we trade down I bet the pick is Eric Winston, with us taking DT with #8 in the 2nd round.

BuffaloBillsStampede
04-26-2006, 10:06 AM
I will be seriously pissed if we trade down and end up with eric winston.....If we can't get Bunkley after trading down then we should stay at 8.

TacklingDummy
04-26-2006, 10:08 AM
I can't wait for the draft to be over.

I hope Marv reads this board and takes my advice. No TE or no O-linemen with the 8th pick.

TigerJ
04-26-2006, 10:38 AM
If I were the Bills, I wouldn't trade down past 12. I don't think both Ngata and Bunkley are gone before 12. Sounds like Baltimore would be more interested in Ngata than Bunkley. If both are gone after a Bills trade down, I don't think the pick is Eric Winston, who is now a consensus second round pick. Maybe Winston Justice.

TedMock
04-26-2006, 10:53 AM
It depends on how far we trade down. If we trade with Arizona, we're down 2 spots and still taking a DT. If we drop down into the 20's, we'll take Eric Winston in round 1, and go DT in round two.

Jan Reimers
04-26-2006, 10:55 AM
I've never wanted to trade down. We have 10 picks already, and at 8 we are virtually assured of getting Huff, Bunkley or Ngata.

RedEyE
04-26-2006, 10:56 AM
I agree with ICE, and have to disagree with TigerJ.

Since the ratings came out, both Ngata and Bunkley have either rapidly increased on the boards or stayed firm and steady. I don't think either one will be there at 12.

Therefore, drafting down becomes a gamble. If you miss your best chance to fill a serious gap on the roster, you're going to spend the rest of the draft trying to compensate for your mistake.

The smart thing to do here is to take the DT and run your draft effectively the rest of the way.

Jan Reimers
04-26-2006, 10:56 AM

I hope Marv reads this board and takes my advice. No TE or no O-linemen with the 8th pick.
TD, for once I agree with you.

RedEyE
04-26-2006, 11:02 AM
It depends on how far we trade down. If we trade with Arizona, we're down 2 spots and still taking a DT. If we drop down into the 20's, we'll take Eric Winston in round 1, and go DT in round two.

That's a possiblity, but for Arizona to trade up just two spots means Buffalo isn't looking at the same player Zona is, and the team picking just ahead of Arizona must be hell bent on drafting the same prospect. Therefore, Arizona is only in contention for a player with one other team. Hardly worth the effort.

Drafting Winston shouldn't even be an option. The DTs in the 2nd round have some repecatable flaws that has placed them out of the first round. Get your guy in the first and nail a Guard in the high 3rd. This way your 2nd round pick becomes a luxuary. More than likely Winston will be there high 2nd anyway, although I still wouldn't touch him.

Saratoga Slim
04-26-2006, 11:05 AM
If I were the Bills, I wouldn't trade down past 12. I don't think both Ngata and Bunkley are gone before 12. Sounds like Baltimore would be more interested in Ngata than Bunkley. If both are gone after a Bills trade down, I don't think the pick is Eric Winston, who is now a consensus second round pick. Maybe Winston Justice.

I agree. I don't think either Detroit or Arizona will take a DT. St. Louis, I don't think so either, but maybe. Cleveland will most likely take Ngata.

Bunkley/Ngata are the guys I'm most interested in in the 12-15 range. So if we're going to trade down to 12-15 and possibly miss out on them, I'd rather either

a. trade down far enough that we can get an extra 2nd rounder or
b. stay at 8.

RedEyE
04-26-2006, 11:06 AM
I agree. I don't think either Detroit or Arizona will take a DT. St. Louis, I don't think so either, but maybe. Cleveland will most likely take Ngata.

Bunkley/Ngata are the guys I'm most interested in in the 12-15 range. So if we're going to trade down to 12-15 and possibly miss out on them, I'd rather either

a. trade down far enough that we can get an extra 2nd rounder or
b. stay at 8.

And what if they're not? What's the back up plan?

Dont drink the water
04-26-2006, 11:36 AM
I hope Marv reads this board
Likelyhood of that is less than Ricky Williams giving up smoking dope

and takes my advice.
Taking your advice? Likelyhood of that is listening to a dummy with Rob Johnson's hand firmly embedded in his ass.

DraftBoy
04-26-2006, 11:40 AM
I've never wanted to trade down. We have 10 picks already, and at 8 we are virtually assured of getting Huff, Bunkley or Ngata.

I gotta say I want to see us stand fast at 8 and take either Huff or Bunkley. I wouldnt mind Davis so much but its a luxury pick Im not sure we can afford to have.

Philagape
04-26-2006, 11:43 AM
I think if there's any way to trade down for Winston, we should do it, because it's a deep year for DT and G, and decent ones are available in second/third round.

Winston + good DT + good G = great draft

chernobylwraiths
04-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Didn't the Ravens already get Bannan? They should be all set at DT then. :D

Dicknoze69
04-26-2006, 11:51 AM
If we trade down, it'll be with St. Louis so they can move before Arizona for Cutler. We'll still be in good shape to grab one of 2 DT's...and we'd probably have our choice between the two.

TedMock
04-26-2006, 11:52 AM
That's a possiblity, but for Arizona to trade up just two spots means Buffalo isn't looking at the same player Zona is, and the team picking just ahead of Arizona must be hell bent on drafting the same prospect. Therefore, Arizona is only in contention for a player with one other team. Hardly worth the effort.

Drafting Winston shouldn't even be an option. The DTs in the 2nd round have some repecatable flaws that has placed them out of the first round. Get your guy in the first and nail a Guard in the high 3rd. This way your 2nd round pick becomes a luxuary. More than likely Winston will be there high 2nd anyway, although I still wouldn't touch him.

My theory with Arizona is that IF they and Detroit both want a QB, there's a good chance that person will be sitting there at our pick. All speculation on my part of course. In that scenario, we still land the DT, go DB in round two (my luxary pick), guard in high round three. We may even end up with another 3rd rounder from AZ in this trade. More likely a 4th though.

RedEyE
04-26-2006, 11:52 AM
I gotta say I want to see us stand fast at 8 and take either Huff or Bunkley. I wouldnt mind Davis so much but its a luxury pick Im not sure we can afford to have.

Again, you and I are on the exact same page. I think it's one of those 3 guys, maybe even Ngata.

ICE74129
04-26-2006, 12:03 PM

Why so he can fail?

Saratoga Slim
04-26-2006, 12:08 PM
And what if they're not? What's the back up plan?
I said I'd like to stay at 8, or find someone a little later in the first round who is willing to trade up in exchange for their 2nd rounder.

if we stay at 8, we get either bunkley or Ngata. if we trade down far enough to get an extra 2nd, we do so knowing that we're going to lose out on Bunkley/Ngata.

why does this need a back-up plan?

ICE74129
04-26-2006, 12:15 PM

I have to agree. You know bunkley is my first pick in that scenario and I have to believe between DJ, Marv and TM that Bunkley is their pick as well. The Good thing is both can make an immediate impact. I just prefer to stop the run and colapse the pocket so the Safety doesn't have to work so hard :roflmao:

I don't see us trading down and getting the DT they want. I would LOVE to see another 2nd and Winston playing LT, but after all I have read, and heard I have to think Bunkley is the pick

lordofgun
04-26-2006, 12:17 PM
Mayock just reported that Eric Winston is falling out of the first round on most teams' draft boards due to his short (31") arms.

Kerr
04-26-2006, 12:21 PM
That's why Marv and co projected winston as a guard or right tackle.

lordofgun
04-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Right. And I don't want a guard or RT in the first round.

ICE74129
04-26-2006, 12:23 PM
Mayock just reported that Eric Winston is falling out of the first round on most teams' draft boards due to his short (31") arms.

That is interesting. LT needs to be addressed. We have had average, above average and the all important 'Serviceable' Left tackles...and have sucked. I am ready for the next Will Wolford at LT for this team. Well past time to quit screwing with that position.

DT, LG, LT all need to be addressed. But I don't see any LT that will be in the 3rd round that can come in and start by the end of this season and that is exactly what we need. A rookie that can come in, share reps then about week 10-12 step in and finish the season and be the starter next year.

ICE74129
04-26-2006, 12:23 PM

I thought it was Justice they said was Guard or RT?

There is Eric Winston and Winston Justice

lordofgun
04-26-2006, 12:25 PM
I thought it was Justice they said was Guard or RT?

There is Eric Winston and Winston Justice
Eric Winston is who he's talking about. I haven't see WJ projected at anything other than RT or LT.

ICE74129
04-26-2006, 12:27 PM
Eric Winston is who he's talking about. I haven't see WJ projected at anything other than RT or LT.

He will be a LT in the NFL and so will Winston. Funny how most everyone that the Bills talk about are 'Guard or Right tackle'. The Value for RT is low compared to LT. I think they are trying to talk the value of some of these guys down

Kerr
04-26-2006, 12:29 PM
Your are a football coach, ICE, right? You prefer a guy with short arms over a guy with long arms to protect your qb?

ICE74129
04-26-2006, 12:31 PM
Your are a football coach, ICE, right? You prefer a guy with short arms over a guy with long arms to protect your qb?

Footwork is the key. Long arms mean nothing when the guy is outside of you before you can get your plant foot moving. Those long arms are really good at touching the guys nametag on the back of his jersey.

Kerr
04-26-2006, 12:34 PM
Footwork is the key. Long arms mean nothing when the guy is outside of you before you can get your plant foot moving. Those long arms are really good at touching the guys nametag on the back of his jersey.

foot work is key, but so are long arms. I don't think there's an elite left tackle in the nfl with short arms.

RedEyE
04-26-2006, 12:40 PM
I said I'd like to stay at 8, or find someone a little later in the first round who is willing to trade up in exchange for their 2nd rounder.

if we stay at 8, we get either bunkley or Ngata. if we trade down far enough to get an extra 2nd, we do so knowing that we're going to lose out on Bunkley/Ngata.

why does this need a back-up plan?

Sorry bud. I misread your post. :up:

RedEyE
04-26-2006, 12:43 PM
Mike Williams had a large wingspan, but his footwork sucked sheep balls.

acehole
04-26-2006, 01:10 PM
I will be seriously pissed if we trade down and end up with eric winston.....If we can't get Bunkley after trading down then we should stay at 8.

Funny...I like eric Winson..... but I am coming around to bunkly.

ICE74129
04-26-2006, 01:31 PM
Everything is pointing to Bunkley at this point. I say if Huff, Bunkley and Davis are there, we will go DT. Its all about the lines. Marv pretty much said so from day one.

I wish Arizona hadn't matched the offer for Wells. I could see us going Defense with our first and 2nd pick if we had LG addressed or even LT via free agency.

Saratoga Slim
04-26-2006, 01:31 PM
Sorry bud. I misread your post. :up: no sweat. i shoulda wrote it more clearly the first time.

Saratoga Slim
04-26-2006, 01:55 PM
Everything is pointing to Bunkley at this point. I say if Huff, Bunkley and Davis are there, we will go DT. Its all about the lines. Marv pretty much said so from day one.

I wish Arizona hadn't matched the offer for Wells. I could see us going Defense with our first and 2nd pick if we had LG addressed or even LT via free agency.

I agree that Bunkley feels like our guy. Probably would be a good choice. He's strong as hell (44 reps), relatively fast (4.94), and had twenty-five tackles for loss this season--Florida State's record. Motor and a mean streak. I like it.

nfldraftalmanac.com does cause me a little concern though: http://www.nfldraftalmanac.com/index.php?c=38&a=396

don't know quite what to make of that site. they seem to be a little off what you see on other draft sites. for instance, ranking Claude Wroten 11th among defensive tackles b/c of the off-field issues. there's simply no way Kyle Williams gets drafted before Claude Wroten.

acehole
04-26-2006, 02:30 PM
Well if Eric Wiston falls he falls I hope to us us the second.

OT Darren Colledge seems like a "Bills" pick.
From Alaska so the buffalo winters will feel like spring.
People have him projected to guard but I think there are wrong...he is very strong...and 299.... so if he gain 10 pounds he can be a tackle?

The onther thing is J Peters WTF?

Why doent he sign long term?

Put him at LT as Rt Callahan in the 3rd round would allow us better defensive help. Peters at left and Aaron Gibson at right would suit us fine. Get me 2 roadgraders at guard in this draft I will be very happy.

ICE74129
04-26-2006, 03:39 PM
I have a feeling Peters wants outta here