PDA

View Full Version : Draft player rankings

Patrick76777
04-26-2006, 11:40 AM
It always amazes me how people will assign a draft ranking to a player and then will refuse to budge off that position. For example, when someone will say, “we can’t take that guy, he’s slotted to go 12-15 and we pick 8.

Then every year, guys picked later are so much better then the can’t miss guys.

Check out this example from 1997.

At 23 overall we grabbed Antowain Smith. 13 picks later, The Giants grabbed Tiki Barber.

In the second round we got Marcellus Wiley. 21 picks later, the Dolphins grabbed Jason Taylor.

Same position, much better pros. I’m not saying we should have picked those guys, because it was impossible to know that they’d be SO much better then Smith and Wiley. I’m only saying that just because Kiper says that taking a few picks before he’s slotted to go is insane doesn't mean it's true.

Then there’s the money issue, “We would have to pay the guy, more then what he’s worth”.

I don’t know about you, but I would have much rather threw a bit more cash at Barber and Taylor then they deserved.

DraftBoy
04-26-2006, 11:46 AM
It always amazes me how people will assign a draft ranking to a player and then will refuse to budge off that position. For example, when someone will say, “we can’t take that guy, he’s slotted to go 12-15 and we pick 8.

Then every year, guys picked later are so much better then the can’t miss guys.

Check out this example from 1997.

At 23 overall we grabbed Antowain Smith. 13 picks later, The Giants grabbed Tiki Barber.

In the second round we got Marcellus Wiley. 21 picks later, the Dolphins grabbed Jason Taylor.

Same position, much better pros. I’m not saying we should have picked those guys, because it was impossible to know that they’d be SO much better then Smith and Wiley. I’m only saying that just because Kiper says that taking a few picks before he’s slotted to go is insane doesn't mean it's true.

Then there’s the money issue, “We would have to pay the guy, more then what he’s worth”.

I don’t know about you, but I would have much rather threw a bit more cash at Barber and Taylor then they deserved.

Well hindsight is 20/20, I agree I would of loved to have Tiki and Taylor but Im not sure of your point, you give two good exmaple where had we reached a little it would of been a steal but then look at Cincy reaching and taking Levi Jones who is good but was never worth a top 10 pick or the money to go along with it. So it has its bonuses and its negatives.

Night Train
04-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Well stated.

I guess in the information age, we tend to think we have all the answers on the exact worth of every player and we sometimes cross that fine line between fan and imaginary GM. These draft sites make us all brilliant.

If the Bills like a guy enough at #8, take him. It's a gamble anyhow and it's the front offices problem on how to pay him.