PDA

View Full Version : We will NOT draft a QB

Mr. Cynical
04-26-2006, 04:29 PM
Wilson is 87, Marv is 80. They can't wait that long to develop a QB. It'll be JP or Nall, or some vet FA next year, but you can bank on it they won't draft a QB this year or next year or the year after. The clock is ticking - they can't wait.

You heard it here. :up:

Saratoga Slim
04-26-2006, 04:35 PM
Don't know about next year till next year arrives. But you're right, we're not going to draft a QB this year.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-26-2006, 04:37 PM
the clock has been ticking for 5 years now.... whens the gong going to strike?
:)

Mr. Cynical
04-26-2006, 04:56 PM
IMO, Ralph and Marv have 3 years to win it all before they are too old to deal with the stresses of the NFL and they bow out. It's now or never.

patmoran2006
04-26-2006, 05:05 PM
Your probably right about not taking a QB, but NOT for those reasons.

Dont give me that tock is clicking on Marv and Wilson crap.. If that was the case, they would have "went for it" in FA and signed as many proven VETS (the proven but expensive and sometimes overpaid ones)as they could as opposed to a bunch of young players with room to grow and that have some potential.

Not dissing Levy's moves at all.. I'm just saying that's the route they went to take.. So to say the clock is ticking is extremely off base..

This isnt a team being built to win the Super Bowl in 2006.

!Papacrunk!
04-26-2006, 07:17 PM
wow, combined age of 167, well that sure is a lot of experience I imagine

Mr. Cynical
04-26-2006, 11:16 PM
Your probably right about not taking a QB, but NOT for those reasons.

Dont give me that tock is clicking on Marv and Wilson crap.. If that was the case, they would have "went for it" in FA and signed as many proven VETS (the proven but expensive and sometimes overpaid ones)as they could as opposed to a bunch of young players with room to grow and that have some potential.

Not dissing Levy's moves at all.. I'm just saying that's the route they went to take.. So to say the clock is ticking is extremely off base..

This isnt a team being built to win the Super Bowl in 2006.

So, you think Marv is planning to be a "spry" 87 year old GM to win the SB? Sorry, but the clock IS ticking in his and Ralph's mind. The average lifespan for men in the US is 77.5, so they are already well past it.

I never said this was a team being built for an '06 run. I don't think RW/ML are naive enough to think they have a chance this year. But I don't agree with your FA logic. Just because they didn't do major shopping doesn't mean RW/ML are thinking long term. Buying a ton of expensive FAs doesn't mean jack (see Redskins).

No, the clock is definitely ticking and IMO they are planning to make the run in '07 and '08. If they fail, my bet is they fold up tent (at least ML will). RW will be 90 and who knows how lucid he will be at that point.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-27-2006, 01:56 AM
I don't often agree with you Mr.Cynical, but on this point I do.

I think Marv is sticking to his philosophy of how a winning football team is built and is laying the foundation for a more serious run at a title in '07 and '08. He's trying to fill in the role-players and maybe catch lightning in a bottle with the young guys he signed this year when he's going to see what he's got and what he needs to still get. And, then, in the next two years he will get rid of any remaining "dead-weight" and try to acquire the pieces that he needs to make the team truly competitive.

Marv isn't big on drafting first round QBs to be the savior of a franchise--he didn't like it when the GM in KC did it to him--and he's not going to do it unless and until he absolutely has to now. He's going to give Losman and Nall a chance to show him and DJ if one of them can get the job done and, if they can't, he will look at his options at that point--but that will be after this up-coming season. He will NOT draft a QB in the first round this year (although I wouldn't rule out him taking someone in the late rounds if they have someone that they really like as a developmental project).

ddaryl
04-27-2006, 04:33 AM
If we can grab a guy late on day 1 or early day 2 and set him on the practice roster for a year or 2 then it would be doable. We should always have a contingency plan at QB.

Mr. Cynical
04-28-2006, 01:00 PM
bump for tomorrow's prediction....even if one of the big three fall to us, we still won't take him.

patmoran2006
04-28-2006, 04:33 PM
bump for tomorrow's prediction....even if one of the big three fall to us, we still won't take him.

I disagree, but thats what makes the draft so much fun... This is one time of the year when all fans are really armchair GM's.

Turf
04-28-2006, 05:04 PM
An offensive line will win a SB more often than a really good QB will and make an average QB a hall of famer.

patmoran2006
04-28-2006, 05:18 PM
An offensive line will win a SB more often than a really good QB will and make an average QB a hall of famer.

If Walter Jones and Tom Brady both got to enter this draft, are you taking Jones or are you taking Brady?

IMO, a franchise QB trumps a franchise LT every time.. NOt to say the LT isnt important as well. It definitely is.

EVERY position is important in football, thats why its such a team game.. But I want my best player and my leader to be my quarterback.