PDA

View Full Version : Pack sign Charles Woodson

Mr. Pink
04-27-2006, 08:44 AM
<!--StartFragment --> <!--StartFragment --> The Green Bay Packers made their first major splash in the free agent market this offseason, agreeing to terms with defensive back Charles Woodson yesterday.

Woodson's agent, Kevin Poston, said the Packers agreed to a seven-year deal for $52.7 million, including $10.5 million in the first year of the contract.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2006/04/27/packers_sign_up_woodson/

If anyone cares to know this and hasn't seen it yet.

MVP
04-27-2006, 08:47 AM
How does he make more than Arrington?

Ebenezer
04-27-2006, 08:58 AM
somebody in GB needs to take a breathilizer.

Mitchy moo
04-27-2006, 09:00 AM
somebody in GB needs to take a breathilizer.

Lol, ain't that the truth.

EDS
04-27-2006, 09:12 AM
This does not help the Bills' cause with Clements.

bigbub2352
04-27-2006, 09:32 AM
This sucks because they grossly overpaid for a overated CB and now Nate will want similiar money, In My opinion CB's come out of every draft so dont over pay for Nate and grab someone in the draft, There is no way Charles Woodson is worth that money he must have a hell of an agent

ICE74129
04-27-2006, 09:53 AM
LMAO and you guys were *****ing because we have nearly 12 mill and haven't spent any of it? GB broke the cardinal rule, just because you have cap room does't mean you have to spend it.

Kudos to marv for doing it the right way

RedEyE
04-27-2006, 11:01 AM
Or, you can look at it as tagging Clements gives us a top 5 CB for only $5 mill this season. While Woodson, maybe a top 15 CB (maybe) is pulling down twice as much this same season..

Bulldog
04-27-2006, 11:23 AM
No way is ANY CB worth that kind of money. And I don't really care who you're talking about. And if you want someone to thank, thank Denver. They started all this crap with the money they gave to Champ Bailey. And he might be even more overrated that both Woodson and Clements combined. I for one would be pissed if Buffalo ever gave that kind of money to Clements.

hydro
04-27-2006, 11:51 AM
LMAO and you guys were *****ing because we have nearly 12 mill and haven't spent any of it? GB broke the cardinal rule, just because you have cap room does't mean you have to spend it.

Kudos to marv for doing it the right way

Agreed. We can use this cap space next year if need be.

DraftBoy
04-27-2006, 01:09 PM
Early reports are that its similar to Arrington's contract where the total figure is huge but its very small cap hits and easily escapable in a year or so.

ICE74129
04-27-2006, 01:20 PM
Or, you can look at it as tagging Clements gives us a top 5 CB for only $5 mill this season. While Woodson, maybe a top 15 CB (maybe) is pulling down twice as much this same season..

You do realise that contract just drove Clements price up for the reason you just stated.

ICE74129
04-27-2006, 01:21 PM
Early reports are that its similar to Arrington's contract where the total figure is huge but its very small cap hits and easily escapable in a year or so.

From what was on NFLN last night, 10 mill guaranteed this year, 18 mill total over the first 3 years.

DraftBoy
04-27-2006, 01:29 PM
From what was on NFLN last night, 10 mill guaranteed this year, 18 mill total over the first 3 years.

ESPN radio had a guy on about a low buyout price but if NFLN said that then thats what Ill go with and the Packers need to learn how to "puff, puff and pass" bc they are smoking the good stuff and they need to share or stupid stuff like this happens.

ICE74129
04-27-2006, 01:41 PM
ESPN radio had a guy on about a low buyout price but if NFLN said that then thats what Ill go with and the Packers need to learn how to "puff, puff and pass" bc they are smoking the good stuff and they need to share or stupid stuff like this happens.

Yeah Adam Schefter commented on those numbers. Friggin stupid. I know fans wanted more from Marv, but it is becoming clearer after these last two signings how smart marv was.

But you know Clements mouth just watered at that signing. He is better than woodson at this point and if he can get that type of a deal...

I would listen to trade offers Saturday.

Stewie
04-27-2006, 03:13 PM
Guys, 7 years and 52 million have as much basis in reality as my mormon marriage to jenny mccarthy, pam anderson and carmen electra.

All his guaranteed coin is roster bonuses. That means no future cap hits when they whack him after this year.

He gets paid 18 million between now and the end of the 2008 season. Not coincidentally, the last year until which there is labor peace among the owners.

It's a 3 year, 18 million dollar deal, including bonuses. Or if he sucks, its a 2 year, 14 million dollar deal.

RedEyE
04-27-2006, 05:58 PM
You do realise that contract just drove Clements price up for the reason you just stated.

Not in 06

!Papacrunk!
04-27-2006, 06:12 PM
I wonder what's going to happen to Ty Law who is still out there. I wouldn't mind the Phins picking up the old timer, but I'm not sure that they'd want to give him a huge payday--this Woodson signing wouldn't help things much. Doesn't Law have the Postons as his agent??