PDA

View Full Version : Rod Wright - DT from Texas

Tatonka
04-27-2006, 12:41 PM
just her kirwan interview rodrique wright on sirius..

i have to say.. i have been kind of luke warm on him prior to hearing the interview, but i like the kid alot more now.

he was a good interview and seemed like a good kid. they went over the "lets up on certain plays" issue.. he refuted that and stated that if anyone wants to know what he is about, to check out the 4th quarter in the USC game, the biggest game of his career when everything was on the line.

he stated he was the one who got the penetration on 4th and 2 to make lindell white bounce outside, when the play was called to go inside, allowing his teammates to make the tackle and get USC off the field. then on the final drive, he got pressure on Lienart on the final two plays on of the game to end it.. he forced lienart to alter his drop and force the throws.

he said it is tough to grade a DT on tackles, because he may be forcing presure or causing runners to change their routes, but people look at numbers only too much.

then he sang his school song.. pretty good stuff.

Jersey1031
04-27-2006, 12:48 PM
2nd round possibility?

Tatonka
04-27-2006, 12:52 PM
yeah.. second, or MAYBE even a high third... the one we got from tennesse.

DraftBoy
04-27-2006, 12:58 PM
just her kirwan interview rodrique wright on sirius..

i have to say.. i have been kind of luke warm on him prior to hearing the interview, but i like the kid alot more now.

he was a good interview and seemed like a good kid. they went over the "lets up on certain plays" issue.. he refuted that and stated that if anyone wants to know what he is about, to check out the 4th quarter in the USC game, the biggest game of his career when everything was on the line.

he stated he was the one who got the penetration on 4th and 2 to make lindell white bounce outside, when the play was called to go inside, allowing his teammates to make the tackle and get USC off the field. then on the final drive, he got pressure on Lienart on the final two plays on of the game to end it.. he forced lienart to alter his drop and force the throws.
he said it is tough to grade a DT on tackles, because he may be forcing presure or causing runners to change their routes, but people look at numbers only too much.

then he sang his school song.. pretty good stuff.

I dont like players who dispell negatives about themselves by trying to say how they made or two big plays. It sounds to me like he was inflating his ego, saying to look at the 4th atr of the USC was more than adequate. I think he'd be a good pickup still though.

Saratoga Slim
04-27-2006, 01:00 PM
I'd be OK with a high third for sure. he has immense talent. I've been worried about the laziness rep, but I'm willing to give him a chance in the third round.

the guy I don't want is Jonathon Scott, OT for Texas. he has Mike Williams written all over him.

MVP
04-27-2006, 01:01 PM
He won't make it to the 3rd

DraftBoy
04-27-2006, 01:02 PM
He won't make it to the 3rd

Based on what, he's been one of the fastest fallers in all the draft.

MVP
04-27-2006, 01:02 PM
If we could trade down and got an extra 2nd I'd take and put him in a rotation with Tripp, Ngata, and Tim Anderson's fat ass

Tatonka
04-27-2006, 01:04 PM
draftboy.. i think maybe i didnt explain well.. kirwan asked him to point to a specific game or time when he felt like he was at his best.

that is why he brought that up.

it wasnt like he was saying this is the only thing i did.

kirwan loves the guy.. and i typically agree with his opinions on players.

Tatonka
04-27-2006, 01:06 PM
if we got him in the third, he would be an absolute steal.. i dont care what anyone thinks of him.. a low second, i would even consider a value pick.

DraftBoy
04-27-2006, 01:07 PM
draftboy.. i think maybe i didnt explain well.. kirwan asked him to point to a specific game or time when he felt like he was at his best.

Ahh ok, that makes it better, I thought Kirwan asked him in general about the concern from NFL personnell and he starts whipping out 1 or 2 plays. Sounds better now. I like the kid, I question his heart but he can prove me wrong and I wont mind. He would be a steal in rd 3 and I think we can get him there.

Jersey1031
04-27-2006, 01:08 PM
I think he'd be worth one of our 3rd's then...

oldno711
04-27-2006, 01:11 PM
McCargo in the 2nd or Wright in the 3rd...I'll take either (although I'd still like either Joseph in the 2nd or Spencer in the 3rd). Guess it all depends who we take in the 1st.

Jersey1031
04-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Guess it all depends who we take in the 1st.

http://www.draftshowcase.com/MichaelHuff2.jpg

R. Rich
04-27-2006, 01:22 PM

Kirwan also pointed out a while ago what I mentioned about Wright: he's a much better fit as a DE in a 3-4 scheme, kinda like the transition RICHard Seymour made in the pros. I'm not saying he's as good as Seymour, but his skill translate better to a 3-4 defense than they will to a 4-3. I'll bet the Steelers would consider him @ the bottom of round 2 if he's still there (I doubt he will be though).

DraftBoy
04-27-2006, 01:26 PM
http://www.draftshowcase.com/MichaelHuff2.jpg

And you get pos rep for being one of the few!

Jersey1031
04-27-2006, 01:28 PM
And you get pos rep for being one of the few!

But there is no more rep...

DraftBoy
04-27-2006, 01:29 PM
But there is no more rep...

If we get it back, Ill hit ya up...how about a beer?

:cheers:

Jersey1031
04-27-2006, 01:31 PM
Hah, sounds cool...

Tatonka
04-27-2006, 01:57 PM
i dont buy the whole 3-4 or 4-3 thing.. he is a penetrator and would fit fine w/ our cover 2 defense.

mccargo and wright would be incredible.. add a trade down w/ a winston pick in the first and an watkins w/ our extra second rounder from trading down..

:drool:

R. Rich
04-27-2006, 02:00 PM
i dont buy the whole 3-4 or 4-3 thing.. he is a penetrator and would fit fine w/ our cover 2 defense.

mccargo and wright would be incredible.. add a trade down w/ a winston pick in the first and an watkins w/ our extra second rounder from trading down..

:drool:

Winston in the first round
Watkins w/ one 2nd round pick
McCargo or Wright w/ the other 2nd round pick

How do we get the DT we don't pick w/ the 2nd round pick? You expect one of them to be around in the 3rd?

oldno711
04-27-2006, 02:02 PM
Winston in the first round
Watkins w/ one 2nd round pick
McCargo or Wright w/ the other 2nd round pick

How do we get the DT we don't pick w/ the 2nd round pick? You expect one of them to be around in the 3rd?

They were saying Wright could drop to the early third...

R. Rich
04-27-2006, 02:07 PM
They were saying Wright could drop to the early third...

Well, if that's the case, then let's look @ what this scenario would've taken care of so far:

1. Winston: very good LT prospect
2a. Watkins: solid FS prospect
2b. McCargo: very solid DT prospect

That said, do we ignore the interior of the OL? If by some chance Pittsburgh guard Charles Spencer is still there in round 3, do we pass him up for another DT? I hope not.

Tatonka
04-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Rich... wright w/ the texans 3rd.. spencer w/ our third.

oldno711
04-27-2006, 02:33 PM
That would be a hell of a draft.

Winston - OT
McCargo - DT
Watkins/Simpson - S
Wright - DT
Spencer - OG

Tatonka
04-27-2006, 02:42 PM
i would still take spencer as Villarials future replacement even with the reyes signing.

Saratoga Slim
04-27-2006, 02:44 PM
That would be a hell of a draft.

Winston - OT
McCargo - DT
Watkins/Simpson - S
Wright - DT
Spencer - OG

I would be absolutely ecstatic if the draft went like that.

R. Rich
04-27-2006, 02:55 PM
Rich... wright w/ the texans 3rd.. spencer w/ our third.

From the Moulds trade? I thought that was a 5th or 6th round pick, not a 3rd.

oldno711
04-27-2006, 02:57 PM
Titans trade...Travis Henry

We have 2 3rd round picks

Tatonka
04-27-2006, 03:02 PM
yeah.. i meant titans.