PDA

View Full Version : Our New OL?

Devin
04-27-2006, 04:26 PM
??? - Reyes - Fowler - Villarial - Peters

Who will be our new LT?

The line is hardly super-bowl calibur. But its young, athletic, and certainly an upgrade probably our best in many many years.

Could our traded-down/aquired pick be used on Jospeh...perhaps Mangold?

Mitchy moo
04-27-2006, 04:27 PM

Who will be our new LT?

The line is hardly super-bowl calibur. But its young, athletic, and certainly an upgrade probably our best in many many years.

Nice!

Gunzlingr
04-27-2006, 04:30 PM
Gandy?

Can Gibson play the left side?

:idunno:

Devin
04-27-2006, 04:34 PM
Gandy wasnt to bad imo.

If we started the season today with him there I wouldnt be to dissapointed. I felt all along it was the interior of the line that needed to re-work.

Man is draft day gonna be exciting.

Gunzlingr
04-27-2006, 04:43 PM
Gandy wasnt to bad imo.

If we started the season today with him there I wouldnt be to dissapointed. I felt all along it was the interior of the line that needed to re-work.

Aint that the truth! I am skipping my MIL's surprise birthday party to stay home and "work". :snicker:

Devin
04-27-2006, 04:45 PM
I hear that bro! A few friends will be over to see me either crying or very happy.

goodkarma
04-27-2006, 04:55 PM
Whatever line we put together this year will be a marked improvement from last, but that doesn't mean much. None of the current projected starters are anything to get excited about, and if they were, guys like Reyes would have been signed weeks ago.

OpIv37
04-27-2006, 05:26 PM
Gandy - Reyes - Fowler - Villarial - Peters is significantly better than Gandy-Anderson-Teague-Villiarial Peters. Substitute D-brick for Gandy and :drool:

Michael82
04-27-2006, 05:46 PM
D'Brick would make that line 10x better. It would be like Walter Jones does to the Seattle line. :drool:

Come on Brick, please fall to the Bills. :pray:

TigerJ
04-27-2006, 06:45 PM
It's funny. Opinions on Gandy are all over the place, though everyone pretty much agrees Anderson sucked. I think an upgrade is always nice, but if Buffalo doesn't get D'Brick, and the guy the do pick proves not ready to start in 2006, the Bills would be OK with the personnel they have right now.

EDS
04-27-2006, 06:54 PM
It's funny. Opinions on Gandy are all over the place, though everyone pretty much agrees Anderson sucked. I think an upgrade is always nice, but if Buffalo doesn't get D'Brick, and the guy the do pick proves not ready to start in 2006, the Bills would be OK with the personnel they have right now.

Agreed. Outside of D'Brick there is no tackle in the draft who is a guaranteed day one starter on the left side.

Nighthawk
04-27-2006, 06:59 PM
Gandy wasnt to bad imo.

That's what I like about the Reyes signing...it potentially allows us to go in a different direction in the 2nd. Maybe we get a pass rushing DE who may fall, such as Hali or Kiwanuka? Man, the draft can't come soon enough!

Nighthawk
04-27-2006, 07:00 PM
D'Brick would make that line 10x better. It would be like Walter Jones does to the Seattle line. :drool:

Come on Brick, please fall to the Bills. :pray:

I'd be thrilled! :cloud9:

Michael82
04-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Agreed. I thought Gandy did a good job at LT and got better as the season wore on. I still say that the best thing to do is to swap him and Jason Peters. But oh well.

Michael82
04-27-2006, 07:38 PM
I'd be thrilled! :cloud9:
Me too. :dream:

:cloud9:

G. Host
04-27-2006, 07:49 PM
Agreed. I thought Gandy did a good job at LT and got better as the season wore on. I still say that the best thing to do is to swap him and Jason Peters. But oh well.

Get a LT, move Gandy to right tackle and move Peters to backup TE & Tackle. No sense running of price of Peters on open market. If Peters wants to sign a reasonable extension then worry about turning him into a fully functional guard. Peters's Run blocking is terrible.

Michael82
04-27-2006, 07:51 PM
Get a LT, move Gandy to right tackle and move Peters to backup TE & Tackle. No sense running of price of Peters on open market. If Peters wants to sign a reasonable extension then worry about turning him into a fully functional guard. Peters's Run blocking is terrible.
Peters was our best lineman last year. I'm sorry, but I don't see why on Earth anyone would want to move him to backup. but I do agree with extending his contract long term.

patmoran2006
04-27-2006, 07:52 PM
I think Peters by the time this year is over will be a healthier Jonas Jennings.

I must admit I"m becoming more pleased about this line everyday and if we can end up with an upgrade over that bum Villarial I'd really like this line.

Everyone bashes Gandy.. Here's a newsflash; Gandy is a MUCH better LT than Villarial is a RG at this stage of his career.

billsburgh
04-27-2006, 11:43 PM
Aint that the truth! I am skipping my MIL's surprise birthday party to stay home and "work". :snicker:
try not to "work" too hard.

billsburgh
04-27-2006, 11:49 PM
I wasn't disappointed with Gandy either last year. I think he will even be a little better this year once theres a better guard next to him. You're also right about Peters being the best lineman last year, at least at the end of the season he was playing very well and he's only going to get better. As Devin said, the interior of the line was the biggest problem last year. With Fowler, Reyes, Preston, Villarial if healthy, and a high draft choice, this seems to be uprgraded.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-28-2006, 02:22 AM
Other than D'Brick and, maybe, Justice, there's no offensive tackle in this draft who you can count on to be ready to start and consistently play well before the end of this season. It will take Ferguson and Justice awhile before they can as well. So, I wouldn't count on the Bills being able to draft any offensive lineman who will really help them a lot this season.

However, according to the scouts, there are some O-linemen who will be drafted in Rounds 2-3 who are going to be pretty good and will play for a long time in the NFL if they stay healthy. The Bills need to snag one and their fans need to give him a chance to develop and not label him a "bust" if he doesn't contribute much as a rookie. I really want the Bills to get D'Brick, but, if they don't, I want them to get someone out of this draft who will be an anchor for their offensive line for the next ten years.

Right now, Peters is their best offensive lineman, but he needs to continue to get better, especially as a run-blocker. Depending on who they draft and how that player develops, Peters could perhaps move to LT next year or stay at RT if his run-blocking improves.

Gandy is serviceable at LT: not really good, but average. Ideally, you would want to see the Bills be in a position to replace him at that position next year--either with Peters or a draftee.

The Bills really need to have Fowler or Preston or Geissinger emerge as a better than average center. Fowler seems a little light to me, but the coaches seem to like him, but I'll have to see how he holds up against the likes of Vince Wilfork and some of the other DTs that used to push T.Teague all over the place. I'm beginning to wonder just how much confidence this staff has in Preston--he got pushed around a lot last year and needs to get a lot better very quickly.

Reyes or Preston could be the answer at left guard. If Reyes continues to improve the way he did last year, he would solidify the position. If he doesn't or backslides, the Bills could be in real trouble. Villarial is solid when he is healthy, but he's "long in the tooth" and he has to stay healthy because his game really deteriorated after he got hurt last year. Preston has to prove that he can be more than a mediocre back-up at either center or guard. Right now, the guard group of Reyes, Preston and Villarial still leaves something to be desired. If the Bills don't grab a tackle to replace Gandy so that they can move him inside to guard, they absolutely must get an offensive guard with the potential to be a lot better than the three guys that they have now.

As it stands, the line that they have with the guys that they have now should be better than what they had last year. But, IMHO that group still needs to be improved. Whoever they draft this year may help some, but, even if he becomes a really good player in the future, he can't be counted on to make a major contribution this year--if he does, great...so much the better. But, it is absolutely essential that the younger guys that they already have on their roster today step up and play even better than they have in the past this season for the Bills to have the kind of offensive line that they are going to need to be competitive. If they do, it could be a solid line--not great, but solid.

Kerr
04-28-2006, 02:28 AM
Other than D'Brick and, maybe, Justice, there's no offensive tackle in this draft who you can count on to be ready to start and consistently play well before the end of this season. It will take Ferguson and Justice awhile before they can as well. So, I wouldn't count on the Bills being able to draft any offensive lineman who will really help them a lot this season.

However, according to the scouts, there are some O-linemen who will be drafted in Rounds 2-3 who are going to be pretty good and will play for a long time in the NFL if they stay healthy. The Bills need to snag one and their fans need to give him a chance to develop and not label him a "bust" if he doesn't contribute much as a rookie. I really want the Bills to get D'Brick, but, if they don't, I want them to get someone out of this draft who will be an anchor for their offensive line for the next ten years.

Right now, Peters is their best offensive lineman, but he needs to continue to get better, especially as a run-blocker. Depending on who they draft and how that player develops, Peters could perhaps move to LT next year or stay at RT if his run-blocking improves.

Gandy is serviceable at LT: not really good, but average. Ideally, you would want to see the Bills be in a position to replace him at that position next year--either with Peters or a draftee.

The Bills really need to have Fowler or Preston or Geissinger emerge as a better than average center. Fowler seems a little light to me, but the coaches seem to like him, but I'll have to see how he holds up against the likes of Vince Wilfork and some of the other DTs that used to push T.Teague all over the place. I'm beginning to wonder just how much confidence this staff has in Preston--he got pushed around a lot last year and needs to get a lot better very quickly.

Reyes or Preston could be the answer at left guard. If Reyes continues to improve the way he did last year, he would solidify the position. If he doesn't or backslides, the Bills could be in real trouble. Villarial is solid when he is healthy, but he's "long in the tooth" and he has to stay healthy because his game really deteriorated after he got hurt last year. Preston has to prove that he can be more than a mediocre back-up at either center or guard. Right now, the guard group of Reyes, Preston and Villarial still leaves something to be desired. If the Bills don't grab a tackle to replace Gandy so that they can move him inside to guard, they absolutely must get an offensive guard with the potential to be a lot better than the three guys that they have now.

As it stands, the line that they have with the guys that they have now should be better than what they had last year. But, IMHO that group still needs to be improved. Whoever they draft this year may help some, but, even if he becomes a really good player in the future, he can't be counted on to make a major contribution this year--if he does, great...so much the better. But, it is absolutely essential that the younger guys that they already have on their roster today step up and play even better than they have in the past this season for the Bills to have the kind of offensive line that they are going to need to be competitive. If they do, it could be a solid line--not great, but solid.

Always good to read your posts, lbf. Long, but nice insight. :up:

BuffaloBillsStampede
04-28-2006, 08:25 AM
I really hope that just because the signed Reyes that it doesn't mean we pass on Davin Joseph, Max Jean Gilles (who is the one I want), or Charles Spencer because I think that would be a huge mistake. Villarial is old as dirt and I thought he had a pretty bad year last year so we take one of these guys to replace him after this season and I like where our line is headed.

ICE74129
04-28-2006, 08:27 AM

Who will be our new LT?

I say screw it. trade our 2nd and a 3rd rounder to move back up in the draft. Then trade both 1sts for New Orleans #2 and Take Dbrick

justasportsfan
04-28-2006, 08:33 AM
Gandy - Reyes - Fowler - Villarial - Peters is significantly better than Gandy-Anderson-Teague-Villiarial Peters. Substitute D-brick for Gandy and :drool:Seems like you and Pat are starting to change your mind about our staff ignoring the lines. This is why you shouldn't complain too early.

MVP
04-28-2006, 08:46 AM
I see it as

Peters - Reyes - Fowler - Villarial - Gibson/Gandy/DP

OpIv37
04-28-2006, 08:52 AM
Seems like you and Pat are starting to change your mind about our staff ignoring the lines. This is why you shouldn't complain too early.

it's not perfect but it should be significantly better than last year, particularly if we get Dbrick, Winston, Tutui, Giles or someone else who can start from day 1.

justasportsfan
04-28-2006, 09:00 AM
it's not perfect but it should be significantly better than last year, particularly if we get Dbrick, Winston, Tutui, Giles or someone else who can start from day 1.
I agree it's not perfect. Remember Mcnally's OL when the giants went to the sb? It's wasn't picture perfect on paper either. I think we're not done yet improving both lines. It's just that I think that the new staff is improving with caution without having to mortgage our future by signing expensive FA's.

Other than Villarial, the OL has gotten younger. I have confidence that MCnally with have these young players play together as a unit for years to come.

Jersey1031
04-28-2006, 09:02 AM

It will probably be Tutui in the 2nd or 3rd...

jmb1099
04-28-2006, 09:06 AM
I agree it's not perfect. Remember Mcnally's OL when the giants went to the sb? It's wasn't picture perfect on paper either. I think we're not done yet improving both lines. It's just that I think that the new staff is improving with caution without having to mortgage our future by signing expensive FA's.

Other than Villarial, the OL has gotten younger. I have confidence that MCnally with have these young players play together as a unit for years to come.

Exactly. Great points.

Philagape
04-28-2006, 09:30 AM
I'd still love to draft Joseph or Lutui and start Reyes at RG, where he was last year

BidsJr
04-28-2006, 09:31 AM
I see it as

Peters - Reyes - Fowler - Villarial - Gibson/Gandy/DP

Bingo except for one change

Peters-Reyes-Fowler-Villarial/Preston-Gibson/Gandy

Duke could beat out Villarial and that would make for an even better/younger combination.

Bottom line if address the o-line with the 1st or 2nd rd pick we'll have even more depth. Starting to see the wisdom of Marv come through!

Don't Panic
04-28-2006, 10:26 AM
Is Reyes a savior? I seem to remember a lot of people talking about him being the weak link on Carolina's solid line. I'm happy we have him, but I don't think we can say for sure that we've upgraded either guard position too significantly. This had better mean the end of Bennie Anderson, though. His chance has come and gone. Also... I'm really starting to think that the Bills will be looking at their 3rd rounder to drafta tackle... barring a trade up for Brick.

ICE74129
04-28-2006, 11:21 AM
I think we go spencer in the 3rd regardless. We need Villarials replacement for next year.

Devin
04-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Why do people keep saying Peters will/should move to LT? Just because he was the best OLman on a ****ty OL?

Hes a first year OT, one which Jauron and Co. have said will not be moving to LT.

Get that thought out your heads.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-28-2006, 02:43 PM
Is Reyes a savior? I seem to remember a lot of people talking about him being the weak link on Carolina's solid line. I'm happy we have him, but I don't think we can say for sure that we've upgraded either guard position too significantly. This had better mean the end of Bennie Anderson, though. His chance has come and gone. Also... I'm really starting to think that the Bills will be looking at their 3rd rounder to drafta tackle... barring a trade up for Brick.

Reyes was the weak link on the Carolina line before last season, but really came on a lot last year. He's no saviour, but was solid last season and, if he can continue to improve on his play last season, he could be good-to-very good. At his best he probably will never be a Pro Bowler, but will be an upgrade over B.Anderson if he simply plays as well as he did last season.

The question is whether he will do that or improve--in which case this will be a very good signing--or revert to the form he showed in 2004. M.Levy is betting that last season was a sign that Reyes is beginning to blossom into the player that he has had the potential to be. Obviously there are no guarantees, but that's almost certainly what Marv is expecting from Reyes and why he ultimately signed him.