PDA

View Full Version : ANyone get the feeling..

patmoran2006
04-27-2006, 07:48 PM
That on Saturday Marv is going to do something that FEW if ANY of us are expecting?

I know one thing, I can guarentee you that the media will not dicate what Marv does. For that matter, either will the fans.

I TRULY believe in my heart of hearts that if we keep the 8th pick, Levy is going to take whomever he feels is the best player on the board, and that means it could be ANYBODY, even a QB if one of the "big three" fall.

I also have this funny feeling that if the Bills trade, its going to be more than once..

For some reason, I am envisioning this scenario where Marv trades down with the Rams, picks up a third third-rounder.......... And then moves up with Chicago at 26 for a second and one of those three thirds..

It would end up with us having two firsts and two thirds.. 11 and 26 are better for the Bills than 8 and 42, IMO. We'd have two thirds either way if we traded twice.

I SERIOUSLY can see that happening.. Then again, with this front office, I can see ANYTHING happening.

Its been a long while since I"ve had so many theories on what we do in the draft and such little a clue as to what will actually happen.. I admit this.

I cant even get through a thread anymore without changing my mind about what we should do (I must admit), Though my one constant is i PRAY Vernon Davis falls to us..

Pride
04-27-2006, 07:58 PM
I think you give this organization, administration, and Marv waaaay too much credit.

I expect a conservative approach to the draft.. picking unexciting role fillers, and I bet we'll scratch our head in disbelief at least once.

jmb1099
04-27-2006, 07:58 PM
nail on the head when it comes to media and fans. The man knows football, and my confidence has been slowly building with some of the pickups. He has been slow but steady in his approach, he didn't run after one or two big money names, I very cautiously say that I think he sees where we need to go and how to get there. The Reyes singing, Fowler, etc both upgrades, and both from what I can tell by reading between the lines, very willing to be team players and do whatever is asked. Man this starting to get good!

patmoran2006
04-27-2006, 08:01 PM
I do know it'll be a very heavy defensive draft.

Maybe I shoulda rephrased.. After the first pick it should be somewhat predictable.

But the first pick, I truly have no idea anymore.

Iehoshua
04-27-2006, 08:07 PM
I expect a conservative approach to the draft.. picking unexciting role fillers, and I bet we'll scratch our head in disbelief at least once.

That would be okay as long as we win as a result...

Dozerdog
04-27-2006, 08:11 PM
Everyone on this board is married to their favorites.

It won't matter who we draft- many will whine and ***** regardless who we take- mainly because they don't know who these guys are or what roles they fill.

Just look at the knee jerk reactions to free agency. OOOHHH we didn't spend $30 Million for a center or $40 Million for a replacement for Moulds.

Michael82
04-27-2006, 08:13 PM
I was reading an article about Dick Jauron's first draft with the Bears and how he had 13 picks in that draft. I could see the Bills trying to do something like that with this draft. Face it, they are rebuilding and could use a lot of help.

acehole
04-27-2006, 08:18 PM
Yea because I posed it in another thread.

That on Saturday Marv is going to do something that FEW if ANY of us are expecting?

I know one thing, I can guarentee you that the media will not dicate what Marv does. For that matter, either will the fans.

I TRULY believe in my heart of hearts that if we keep the 8th pick, Levy is going to take whomever he feels is the best player on the board, and that means it could be ANYBODY, even a QB if one of the "big three" fall.

I also have this funny feeling that if the Bills trade, its going to be more than once..

For some reason, I am envisioning this scenario where Marv trades down with the Rams, picks up a third third-rounder.......... And then moves up with Chicago at 26 for a second and one of those three thirds..

It would end up with us having two firsts and two thirds.. 11 and 26 are better for the Bills than 8 and 42, IMO. We'd have two thirds either way if we traded twice.

I SERIOUSLY can see that happening.. Then again, with this front office, I can see ANYTHING happening.

Its been a long while since I"ve had so many theories on what we do in the draft and such little a clue as to what will actually happen.. I admit this.

I cant even get through a thread anymore without changing my mind about what we should do (I must admit), Though my one constant is i PRAY Vernon Davis falls to us..

Marvelous
04-27-2006, 08:28 PM
That was a negative post Pride. Why so gloom? We are improving. After all we get Spikes back :grin: :dance:

I think Marv jumps on Vernon,Leinart,AJ,D'brick. If there gone then perhaps Marv will trade down.

I'm very excited about it....:)

OpIv37
04-27-2006, 09:31 PM
I have this sinking feeling that they're going to do something mindnumbingly stupid, like draft Cutler at 8.

Let's not forget that this is the staff that gave $2.5 million a season to Josh Reed and Ryan Denney.

Bill Cody
04-27-2006, 10:02 PM
I have this sinking feeling that they're going to do something mindnumbingly stupid, like draft Cutler at 8.

Let's not forget that this is the staff that gave $2.5 million a season to Josh Reed and Ryan Denney.

I'm not in favor of taking a QB either but let's not exaggerate. QB is the most important position on the team. If Marv doesn't think the guy is on the roster that can lead us but Cutler is, why is that so dumb? Mindnumbingly stupid is flushing a 1st, 2nd and 5th on Blosman.

Slim
04-27-2006, 10:04 PM
I'm not in favor of taking a QB either but let's not exaggerate. QB is the most important position on the team. If Marv doesn't think the guy is on the roster that can lead us but Cutler is, why is that so dumb? Mindnumbingly stupid is flushing a 1st, 2nd and 5th on Blosman.

Kind of ironic that your that one talking about "midnumbingly stupid."

ibatiger
04-27-2006, 10:27 PM
I have a theory that the "best" player available can NEVER be a QB. The failure rate of highly drafted QBs is staggering. It is an absolute crap shoot. At the very least there must be a strong, compelling need for a player at the QB position before you should ever consider taking a QB very high in the draft. Everything that I have heard Levy say tells me that he has a firm understanding of that dynamic. I'd bet the farm that he won't take a QB no matter who he is.

Bill Brasky
04-27-2006, 10:30 PM
I was reading an article about Dick Jauron's first draft with the Bears and how he had 13 picks in that draft. I could see the Bills trying to do something like that with this draft. Face it, they are rebuilding and could use a lot of help.

Great, maybe if the Bills follow that type of logic they can have the same kind of success the Bears did :rolleyes:

Quality... not quantity.

OpIv37
04-27-2006, 10:32 PM

I've been over this, but I'll do it again...

1. A QB will not contribute right away, whereas anyone else we take at #8 will.
2. No draft pick is a definite, but QB is the biggest gamble.
3. We have 2 young unproven QB's in Nall and Losman- these guys should get a legit shot before another one is thrown into the mix (and if we draft a QB, what was the point in signing Nall at all?)
4. Our OL sucks- we won't know what we have at QB until we get a good OL, and any drafted QB would just get killed.

If Marv isn't happy with what we have, he should have gone after Drew Brees. We had the cap to make it work.

billsburgh
04-27-2006, 11:30 PM
you are absolutely right about drafting a qb Op. I dont know where this crap about the Bills being interested in Cutler or any of the other qb's comes from. There is no way the Bills draft a qb in the first round. JP only has 8 games under his belt and both Levy and Jauron seem to like Nall. Lets see what we have with these 2 before blowing another 1st on a qb.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-28-2006, 01:30 AM

I TRULY believe in my heart of hearts that if we keep the 8th pick, Levy is going to take whomever he feels is the best player on the board, and that means it could be ANYBODY, even a QB if one of the "big three" fall.....

Its been a long while since I"ve had so many theories on what we do in the draft and such little a clue as to what will actually happen.. I admit this.....

I quite agree with you on this, Pat.

I've been saying for some time now that this is the most unpredictable draft in some time and that there are so many possible secenarios that could happen on draft day that no one, even in the Bills' organization, can say with any specificity what the Bills can or will be able to do in this draft until they are on the clock with the # 8 pick. And, because no one really knows for sure what the teams picking before the Bills will really do at this stage, I completely agree with you that ANYTHING can happen and that Bills fans should be prepared for just that possibility.

I also agree with your statement that Marv will not be influenced by the media or fans. Because he has no track record as a GM to indicate what his approach to rebuilding the Bills might be, since he took the GM job I have been relying heavily on what he wrote in his book to get a sense of what he might do. And, not only is it clear that he has a definite philosophy about what it takes to put a winning team on the field, but he makes it quite clear that, from his perspective, those on the outside of an organization, like the media and the fans, really do not know or fully understand all of the things that go into making the decisions that sometimes have to be made in order to build a winning team. To me, that indicates that he is going to make his decisions based on the input that he gets from inside the organization and that he will basically "tune out" the media and the fans in arriving at his decisions because he believes that he has to do what he feels is best for the team and not what will please the fans and the media. That's not to say that he doesn't care about the media and the fans or recognize that it is a business that relies on them to make money, but that that is separate from what goes into assembling a team that can be competitive and successful on the field.

If you read Marv's book, he is quite open about the things that he learned about building a team from the various experiences that he had during the course of his coaching career and it is not hard to see that he has developed a definite philosophy about the best way to put a winning team together from those experiences. Thus far, just about every move that Marv has made since taking over as the Bills' GM has been consistent with the philosophy that he expresses in his book. Even though there are some situations--like the up-coming draft--that he discusses that have yet to unfold, what he has done so far is so consistent with that philosophy that I am beginning to believe that what we will see Marv do, in the draft and beyond, will be similarly consistent with that approach.

Because it is clear from reading his book that Marv was/is so embittered by his experience in Kansas City and so adamant about his belief that drafting a QB in the first round of a draft is not necessarily going to turn a bad team around and that a rookie first round draft pick QB should not be expected to be the "saviour" of a team, I do not believe that Marv will draft one of the "Big Three" QBs in the first round of this draft--even if one of them is at the top of the team's draft board when they finally get on the clock. While I generally believe that major draft day trades are easier to talk about than to execute, I truly believe that Marv would rather trade down or take the next best player on the team's draft board than draft a QB with the Bills # 8 pick at this stage. Marv has coached on teams that won with pretty talented QBs (Craig Morton and Jim Kelly), but he has also coached on teams that didn't have the most talented QBs: Sonny Jurgenson was a MUCH more talented passer than Billy Kilmer, his QBs in KC were not that talented, and who can even remember who his QBs in Montreal or New Mexico were...he knows that a good QB is important, but that QB is only one position and that a QB needs to have a good supporting cast around him.

Beyond that, I really do think that ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN in this draft because is appears to be so unpredictable. However, if Marv's past performance and overall approach are any indication, I do believe that the Bills will primarily draft defensive players through the middle rounds of this draft. When Marv was in Washington, the first thing George Allen did to turn the team around was revamp the defense. In KC, the first three picks of his first draft there were defensive players. His first pick in Buffalo was Shane Conlan. There's a definite trend there that I expect Marv will probably continue in this draft as the Bills' GM (although I do expect them to draft at least one offensive lineman on Day One).

It is certainly going to be an interesting draft. On WFAN on Thursday, NY Giants' GM Ernie Accorsi said that the draft was shaping up to be so unpredictable that, even for an old hand like him, he felt that it was going to be "almost entertaining". I think for us fans, it will be.

PromoTheRobot
04-28-2006, 08:37 AM
We could pick almost anyone....EXCEPT A QB!!!! I expect the 1st days picks to be Defensive pick, probably DL unless an AJ Hawk is still available. Then OL. Maybe an offensive player (TE/WR etc) in the 3rd round. I think we will be trading down the #1 pick.

We may pick up a QB but it will be in the second day. The only way we pick a QB early (Linert/Young/Cutler) is to trade him.

PTR

jmb1099
04-28-2006, 09:17 AM
Marv said he is interested in fixing the lines and he has already began addressing that need. There is no reason to believe he will not continue to do this. In many ways the draft is nothing more than a glorified poker game, and maybe the best bluff of all would be for Marv to do exactly what he said he would do from the beginning. The difficulty comes if there is more than one guy that can help fill that roll at the 8th pick.

ICE74129
04-28-2006, 11:05 AM

Hey, check it out. With LOG turing off all features I can see stupid posts again.

BigZ
04-28-2006, 11:35 AM
I think it'll be D'brick or Huff. The only way we take a QB is if Losman is traded tomorrow.

But then again, I could be wrong!!!

LOL

Jeff1220
04-28-2006, 12:58 PM
If one of the big three QBs are there at 8, there will be a QB desperate team willing to give up a lot to move into that spot. I'd put my $ on a trade-down in that scenario.

patmoran2006
04-28-2006, 01:24 PM
Hey, check it out. With LOG turing off all features I can see stupid posts again.
If there is ONE person on the face of this earth who should never call another individual stupid, that would most definitely be YOU.

ICE74129
04-28-2006, 01:42 PM
If there is ONE person on the face of this earth who should never call another individual stupid, that would most definitely be YOU.

Another totally moronic post.

patmoran2006
04-28-2006, 02:06 PM
Great insight. Coming from the KING of doing nothing but posting someone else's LINK and adding a stupid setence of your own.

Either that or straight up LYING and putting words in another football coaches mouth like you did with Fewel..

When you can actually talk FOOTBALL and not treat BZ like its an arcade game with your "secret negs" and "BZ bux" then talk to me,

Until then.. Can SOME MOD put this 100% non-football knowing CLOWN back on ignore for me please.

ICE74129
04-28-2006, 02:37 PM
Great insight. Coming from the KING of doing nothing but posting someone else's LINK and adding a stupid setence of your own.

Either that or straight up LYING and putting words in another football coaches mouth like you did with Fewel..

When you can actually talk FOOTBALL and not treat BZ like its an arcade game with your "secret negs" and "BZ bux" then talk to me, moron.

Until then.. Can SOME MOD put this 100% non-football knowing CLOWN back on ignore for me please.

LMAO Aww do you need the mods to bail you out again? WAAAAAAAAAH!!! LOL.

I haven't lied about anything. I can't find an old article that I linked before. So what? Grow up.

BTW you have to have some level of actual football knowledge for you to talk football with me. Go find some and we MIGHT, might being the operative word, talk. I have to see if you are up to speed or not, but by your many posts I have to say it won't happen

patmoran2006
04-28-2006, 03:40 PM
LMAO Aww do you need the mods to bail you out again? WAAAAAAAAAH!!! LOL.

I haven't lied about anything. I can't find an old article that I linked before. So what? Grow up.

BTW you have to have some level of actual football knowledge for you to talk football with me. Go find some and we MIGHT, might being the operative word, talk. I have to see if you are up to speed or not, but by your many posts I have to say it won't happen

YOu cant find an old article link that nobody in the WORLD but you knew about .. and it was on "bills.com" as well.. Funny, plenty of us visit Bills.com regularly.

and I am not waaaahing.. I just know you to well. YOu try and GOAD me into starting **** with you so you can get me banned..You've already done it more than noce.. If you would care to take this conversation elsewhere besides this particular forum I'll be MORE THAN HAPPY to continue it with you.

ICE74129
04-28-2006, 03:43 PM
YOu cant find an old article link that nobody in the WORLD but you knew about .. and it was on "bills.com" as well.. Funny, plenty of us visit Bills.com regularly.

and I am not waaaahing.. I just know you to well. YOu try and GOAD me into starting **** with you so you can get me banned..You've already done it more than noce.. If you would care to take this conversation elsewhere besides this particular forum I'll be MORE THAN HAPPY to continue it with you.

I haven't posted anything at all on BB.com in months.

As for as a conversation, there is none pat, you arn't worth the time.

And lastly goading you? I don't have to. I have proven time and again I can attack your post which is allowed and you can't resist making it personal. if anyone is getting banned it's you. I think you were told one more time and it was perminate right? Maybe you can head over to BB.com and whine like you did last time.

patmoran2006
04-28-2006, 03:50 PM
"I have no comment when it comes to matters involving Ice74129. Any future comments can be found in the Smack Zone. This is a forum to discuss nothing except Buffalo Bills and football matters."

Thank you.

ICE74129
04-28-2006, 03:59 PM
"I have no comment when it comes to matters involving Ice74129. Any future comments can be found in the Smack Zone. This is a forum to discuss nothing except Buffalo Bills and football matters."

Thank you.

LMAO Quotes BWAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!

patmoran2006
04-28-2006, 04:05 PM
What are you attempting to accomplish? What does THAT have to do with football? Is that "attacking the post" ?

ICE74129
04-28-2006, 04:06 PM
See he can't stop. He just put in quotes he was done talking about me and talking with me here....but STILL responds to a post!!!

patmoran2006
04-28-2006, 04:19 PM

SInce someone else insists on continuing to go one-on-one with me.. I'll turn my attention to someone who wants to talk FOOTBALL.

OP.. I HONESTLY think that you could be right.. Cutler is almost certain to be on this board, and I think the Bills have guys ranked above them on the board, IMO.
Davis, Brick and Hawk are "sorta" possibilities to be there at 8.
IF they are all gone as expected.. Then I think Huff is the next dude in line on theird board.
I could be wrong of course, but i REALLY dont think they have Bunkley on their board at 8.. Not to say they wont take him, but I dont think so at 8.

If they cant for some reason trade down, I seriously think they will take Cutler at 8 before they take Bunkley at 8..