PDA

View Full Version : Bush, Texans still not close to deal, sources say

Mitchy moo
04-28-2006, 07:51 AM
In the long run, it would be in Bush's best interest to not play for the Texans.

With the clock ticking toward noon Saturday, the Houston Texans (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=hou) are going to have to make considerable progress in a short period of time if the team is to complete a contract agreement with Southern California tailback Reggie Bush (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2006&id=10305) before the start of the draft.
Despite reports that contend the two sides are close to an accord, and that there was a breakthrough in a long bargaining session earlier this week, ESPN.com has confirmed through sources close to the talks that movement has been incremental at best. One source termed the talks "a little bit like being in quicksand."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2424706

mysticsoto
04-28-2006, 09:09 AM
In the long run, it would be in Bush's best interest to not play for the Texans.

With the clock ticking toward noon Saturday, the Houston Texans (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=hou) are going to have to make considerable progress in a short period of time if the team is to complete a contract agreement with Southern California tailback Reggie Bush (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2006&id=10305) before the start of the draft.
Despite reports that contend the two sides are close to an accord, and that there was a breakthrough in a long bargaining session earlier this week, ESPN.com has confirmed through sources close to the talks that movement has been incremental at best. One source termed the talks "a little bit like being in quicksand."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2424706

I know I'm in the minority on this board on this, but I really think Houston should take Mario Williams and not Reggie Bush. This is not a knock on Reggie Bush in any way. I just think that you have to do what's best for your team. If Houston chooses Bush, they will have probably somewhere close to $50 million locked up between the primary and backup RBs!

Domanick Davis is a great back. When you think of a team that desperately needs a RB, you don't think of Houston. However, when thinking of a team that has a powerful defense...do you think of Houston?

In order for Houston to improve to the playoffs, they have to do a few things:

#1 - improve their defense - Mario Williams should greatly improve their pass rush which in turn carries over to helping out their DBs.

#2 - They need a better LT to protect Carr's blindside. Brick would be nice, but they appear to think that is too high to take him. They will likely use their 2nd rd here.

#3 - They will need LBs that fit the new 4-3 they are switching to.

#4 - An upgrade in Safeties would be ideal.

If I'm Houston, I try to bait a switch with the Saints for them to take Bush by trading up to #1- but making it cheap for them to trade up - see if they will consider a 2nd next year. They don't have a 3rd this year (Houston already has it) so making an otherwise equitable trade this year might be difficult. But NO might go for that since at RB they virtually have no one and will probably be drafting a RB this draft to fill that gaping hole. This way, Houston not only gets the man they wanted anyway, but also a 2nd rd pick addition next year...

mysticsoto
04-28-2006, 09:48 PM
I know I'm in the minority on this board on this, but I really think Houston should take Mario Williams and not Reggie Bush. This is not a knock on Reggie Bush in any way. I just think that you have to do what's best for your team. If Houston chooses Bush, they will have probably somewhere close to $50 million locked up between the primary and backup RBs!

Domanick Davis is a great back. When you think of a team that desperately needs a RB, you don't think of Houston. However, when thinking of a team that has a powerful defense...do you think of Houston?

In order for Houston to improve to the playoffs, they have to do a few things:

#1 - improve their defense - Mario Williams should greatly improve their pass rush which in turn carries over to helping out their DBs.

#2 - They need a better LT to protect Carr's blindside. Brick would be nice, but they appear to think that is too high to take him. They will likely use their 2nd rd here.

#3 - They will need LBs that fit the new 4-3 they are switching to.

#4 - An upgrade in Safeties would be ideal.

Well whaddaya know? Every now and then I hit a bullseye!!!

patmoran2006
04-28-2006, 09:53 PM
Good call Mystic, real good.. Much props..

Take it one further too.. With the first pick in round two, they can probably get safety Dan Bullocks from Nebraska..

Bullocks and Mario Williams.. What a f'n improvement.

They can address the OL with the first TWO picks in round three.

This team is in REAL good shape for the future, I'd love to be in their situation right now.

mysticsoto
04-28-2006, 10:06 PM
Good call Mystic, real good.. Much props..

Take it one further too.. With the first pick in round two, they can probably get safety Dan Bullocks from Nebraska..

Bullocks and Mario Williams.. What a f'n improvement.

They can address the OL with the first TWO picks in round three.

This team is in REAL good shape for the future, I'd love to be in their situation right now.

That would be a great pick, but I still wouldn't go that route if I'm Houston. There will likely be a very decent safety by one of their 2 early picks in the 3rd round that would still upgrade their safety position. However, there will be no decent left tackle available in the 3rd. Their need for left tackle is higher than a safety.

If I'm them, in the 2nd, I take the best available left tackle to help protect Carr and lower the number of sacks he's been taking. I'm sure Mike Sherman will have alot of input toward who they should draft here...

In the 3rd, I'd use their 2 picks for a S and a LB.

The Texans are going to be much improved this year!!!

patmoran2006
04-28-2006, 10:10 PM
Alright, but unless Eric Winston slips out of the first round (I'd say 40% chance of that) who are they going to take that can start at LT as a rookie?

mysticsoto
04-28-2006, 10:46 PM
Alright, but unless Eric Winston slips out of the first round (I'd say 40% chance of that) who are they going to take that can start at LT as a rookie?

Carr had been sacked over 200 times in his 1st 4 seasons. In actuality, their LT is probably okay. Their RT has played a whole season only 3 times in the last 10 years. So I will take that back. They should probably take a versatile player that can play multiple positions, as they could also use a LG.

Daryn Colledge is very versatile and may be the best pick for them, though picking him at the top of the 2nd rd might be pushing it. That may make them go the LB route instead and choose Bobby Carpenter or Thomas Howard...probably the more likely scenario. Then choose the best OT/versatile lineman available, and best safety available in the 3rd...

Mitchy moo
04-29-2006, 12:10 AM
Carr isn't that great, they might consider a QB while they are at it.