Jersey1031
04-28-2006, 09:58 AM
With us?

RedEyE
04-28-2006, 09:58 AM
With who? Chicago?

MTBillsFan
04-28-2006, 09:59 AM
he's bigger than Shaud and should be able to give McGahee a rest even if he doesn't have much left in the tank. Next stop for the A train...Buffalo

Go Bills

Night Train
04-28-2006, 10:00 AM
With the Bills

justasportsfan
04-28-2006, 10:01 AM
This could mean that our coaches aren't impressed by Gates at all.

RedEyE
04-28-2006, 10:02 AM
I like these late signings Buffalo have made. Reyes, A-Train. :bf1:

Levy always loved having a deep, experienced roster.

Mr. Miyagi
That sucks, cuz I'm pretty high on Gates.

Night Train
From Clayton's blog:

The Bills reached a one-year deal with running back Anthony Thomas after agreeing to terms with former Panthers guard Tutan Reyes. That takes some of the urgency out of attempting to trade into the latter stages of the first round . Most teams looking for offense with second-round picks are looking toward the lower part of the first round for offensive linemen or running backs. However, the two recent signings have provided Buffalo with a backup to Willis McGahee in Thomas and a potential starting guard in Reyes. That allows the Bills the chance to concentrate on a first-round defensive player, possibly Florida State defensive tackle Brodrick Bunkley.

The Eagles are trying to trade to the No. 8 or No. 9 spot in the first round to get defensive tackle Bunkley or Haloti Ngata, but don't expect a trade with the Bills. The Eagles aren't offering enough to get the Bills to give up the defensive tackle that fits their needs, Bunkley. If the price is right, though, the Bills could move from No. 8 to No. 14 and be able to get left tackle Winston Justice. Still, odds of a deal are minimal. The Eagles might have better success with the Lions, who have the ninth overall pick, but that trade would cost the Lions safety Michael Huff or linebacker Ernie Sims.

RedEyE
04-28-2006, 10:04 AM

I am too.

Jersey1031
04-28-2006, 10:05 AM
I guess this means we won't be drafting any RB's...

RedEyE
04-28-2006, 10:06 AM
I guess this means we won't be drafting any RB's...

Thank God! Now if we can only steer clear of drafting any WRs...

Jersey1031
04-28-2006, 10:07 AM
I'm not against drafting a WR with a late round pick. That's where you find those diamonds in the rough every so often...

Jersey1031
04-28-2006, 10:08 AM
I like these late signings Buffalo have made. Reyes, A-Train. :bf1:

Levy always loved having a deep, experienced roster.

I like this signing...

Mr. Miyagi
04-28-2006, 10:12 AM
A-Train was an absolute stud in Chicago for that one magical year.

Night Train
04-28-2006, 10:16 AM

It seems the thinking with this staff is strength by numbers. Load up at every position and let them compete in camp.

Don't Panic

I'm high on Gates as well, but I don't think this means he's out of the picture just yet. As was said, Levy likes to have experienced back-ups on the roster... going with the unproven Gates and the undersized Williams as the backup to the reconstructed McGahee is risky at best, devestating at worst. I think Gates will be given a chance to earn the backup job, but now he's got to compete for it a little bit harder. Also, note that it's only a 1 year deal for Thomas. Plus, he's a great short yardage back. Great move IMO.

The Natrix
camp fodder

Mr. Pink
04-28-2006, 10:17 AM
I absolutely loved the signing of Reyes but this signing makes me scratch my head. The A-train had one good season and has been a bench warmer in all practicality since. The knock, well "alleged" knock, on Willis is his ineffectiveness to help in passing downs. Well the A-train can't catch, can't block. All he is, is a north to south to runner. What does this signing accomplish for this team? In my opinion, nothing. Look for A-train to be cut before opening day.

Pride
04-28-2006, 10:20 AM
Umm... isnt this simply a Jauron bringing in his old players? We used to bash TD for this didn't we?

Earthquake Enyart
04-28-2006, 10:22 AM
Nothing wrong with a good north to south runner.

A Train is better than everyone we have except for Willis.

ryjam282
04-28-2006, 10:22 AM
I don't mind the signing at all. He showed that he can play a few years ago and then had a bad year behind one of the worst O-lines in history on a team with no QB in Chicago his 2nd year then just got kinda lost in the shuffle there and in Dallas. We shall see, it is a no harm/no foul signing. If he suck, no harm. If he winds up being a decent backup no foul...I like it. He will be the goalline vulture and hurt Willis's fantasy #'s but I could care less about that. I want wins.

justasportsfan
04-28-2006, 10:23 AM
Umm... isnt this simply a Jauron bringing in his old players? We used to bash TD for this didn't we?
difference is, it's a one year deal. Could easily get cut after camp.

ryjam282
04-28-2006, 10:26 AM
He will be our Zack Crockett/Bettis. He won't get too many carrier over the course of the year IMO. We all know that Willis was having trouble doing the North/South thing last year with all his dancing. This could help.

jimbohastle51
04-28-2006, 10:30 AM
exellent signing! we need a sure backup behind willis and this guy can get it done. that tutan reyes is a real good guard, i mean hes no pro bowler but he is deffinatly a ligitimit starter in this league, and melvin fowler is a good versitale pick up, he can play center and guard, besides larry tripplett we have finally picked up a few decent free agents, and i was starting to get worried after andre davis :)

Jan Reimers
04-28-2006, 10:37 AM
I saw A-train run wild against Syracuse several years ago and he was a real tough guy to bring down. He's not that old, and I think he will be a very good backup.

Earthquake Enyart
04-28-2006, 10:39 AM
After bouncing around the last couple of years, hopefully he realizes that he is running out of chances and can return to his old form.

Jersey1031
04-28-2006, 10:40 AM
We have great depth at RB now...

Willis, A-Train, Shaud, Fast Freddie, Gates...

Jan Reimers
04-28-2006, 10:40 AM
All of a sudden, I like our Free Agent season.

Jersey1031
04-28-2006, 10:42 AM
All of a sudden, I like our Free Agent season.

Agreed, unless we have a bad draft adressing our leftover needs...

Philagape
04-28-2006, 10:52 AM
Good move. Best case, he's a solid backup; worst case, we cut him and are no worse off.

Michael82
04-28-2006, 10:59 AM
It seems the thinking with this staff is strength by numbers. Load up at every position and let them compete in camp.

Good point. It's going to be a fun training camp this year, I'll have a lot of battles to report on. :jig:

casdhf
04-28-2006, 11:00 AM
If you can get your ass out of bed in time :mad:

tampabay25690
This is good becasue I thought the Bills would draft a RB sometime in the draft, now they can concentarte on both LINES and DEFENSIVE depth and help...

The Natrix
Good point. It's going to be a fun training camp this year, I'll have a lot of battles to report on. :jig:

If you don't fall asleep. :down:

Michael82
04-28-2006, 11:02 AM
If you can get your ass out of bed in time :mad:
I didn't have any problems with that last year. :::

Michael82
04-28-2006, 11:03 AM
If you don't fall asleep. :down:
:yap:

Kerr
04-28-2006, 11:03 AM
This really doesn't mean anything in terms of making the roster. AT might not even make the final roster. Gates still has a shot. Remember, jason gildon?

BillsNick
04-28-2006, 11:04 AM
I absolutely loved the signing of Reyes but this signing makes me scratch my head. The A-train had one good season and has been a bench warmer in all practicality since. The knock, well "alleged" knock, on Willis is his ineffectiveness to help in passing downs. Well the A-train can't catch, can't block. All he is, is a north to south to runner. What does this signing accomplish for this team? In my opinion, nothing. Look for A-train to be cut before opening day.

It's pretty simple what we accomplished. We brought in an experienced backup RB to add depth. He's big and he's not bad. Why is this hard to understand? I think it was a good move.

Mitchy moo
04-28-2006, 11:04 AM
I think A-Train compliments Willis quite nicely depending on down and situation. They can move him in and out and when our opposing D's are expecting a dance they get a train.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
04-28-2006, 11:05 AM
I am excited by this signing, we needed a veteran back up RB.

MVP
04-28-2006, 11:06 AM
I see us releasing Burns after TC

HHURRICANE
04-28-2006, 11:12 AM
What happened to Gates?? i don't get it?!!

mysticsoto
04-28-2006, 11:52 AM
What happened to Gates?? i don't get it?!!

I think this signing is to make sure that both Gates and even Shaud don't get too complacent and continue to work out hard. If we have no one to compete with Shaud and Gates, they can just sit back and drink pina coladas by the poolside all day. They need to know that no job on the team is set and that they could be giving the boot at any moment. In that sense, I think it's a good signing - though I don't expect the A-train to be able to make the roster ahead of either Shaud or Gates...

Jersey1031
04-28-2006, 11:55 AM
I think it's a good signing - though I don't expect the A-train to be able to make the roster ahead of either Shaud or Gates...

How so, A-Train is more proven than Gates unless your going at this by potential...

mysticsoto
04-28-2006, 11:57 AM
How so, A-Train is more proven than Gates unless your going at this by potential...

I'm going by potential and by the fact that nobody seems really interesting in taking - much less keeping Thomas around. I think Gates has alot to offer and I'm still fuming that Mularkey didn't give him playing time experience last year once we knew the season was over. Gates might be set at #2 right now if he had had a real coach last year! Mularkey did Gates and the entire team a disservice in more ways than one!!!

don137
04-28-2006, 12:00 PM
One thing for sure...Other than getting two DTs Buffalo addressed all the positions of need in free agency. They may not be marquee players but its better than nothing. Now going into the draft they can take best player available in many rounds because they are working for depth or players to fight for a starting position and not handed a starting position.

bigbub2352
04-28-2006, 12:25 PM
he is better than what we have shaud williams is worthless and it brings more competition to camp

Jeff1220
04-28-2006, 12:37 PM
I was at the same game as Jan in 'Cuse. It really wasn't that long ago, and ATrain is definitely a legit player if Willis gets hurt. He's better than the Bills' old A-Train (Smith) imo and isn't expected to be the starter. I like it!

Mr. Cynical
04-28-2006, 12:42 PM

Yep. See my sig.

Marvelous
04-28-2006, 12:53 PM
lmao @ The Natrixs' post....

Mr. Pink
04-28-2006, 12:54 PM
It's pretty simple what we accomplished. We brought in an experienced backup RB to add depth. He's big and he's not bad. Why is this hard to understand? I think it was a good move.

Here's what this deal accomplished, as you put it, Jauron brought in one of his former players who adds literally nothing to the team. Unless you count mediocre veteran player as a positive these days.

He is as one dimensional as a running back gets with limited skill set. You applaud the signing of a guy who averaged 2.1 yards per carry last year, while at New Orleans. So we bring in a guy who won't even really help in short yardage.

All we did is bring in a "familiar face" to Jauron that takes away repetitions from Shaud Williams and Lionel Gates. While I don't like Shaud much, he serves more of a purpose than de-Trained....and what it does due is hamper Lionel Gates development as a player.

All in all, this move makes absolutely zero sense. He doesn't upgrade the backfield at all and stunts the growth of our younger option in Gates.

But applaud the move as you wish or tell yourself this is a great signing if you want. Perhaps, you're just enamored on the guys "name." Like I said, if he makes it to the final roster, I'd be extremely shocked.

RedEyE
04-28-2006, 12:58 PM
Anyone have a link on this? I can't find the report anywhere

Mr. Miyagi
04-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Anyone have a link on this? I can't find the report anywhere
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=clayton_john#20060428

RedEyE
04-28-2006, 01:06 PM

Earthquake Enyart
04-28-2006, 01:08 PM
One thing for sure...Other than getting two DTs Buffalo addressed all the positions of need in free agency. They may not be marquee players but its better than nothing. Now going into the draft they can take best player available in many rounds because they are working for depth or players to fight for a starting position and not handed a starting position.
And an OT.

Night Train
04-28-2006, 01:11 PM
I don't think Thomas is any big signing but we are painfully short at RB behind McGahee.

I'm sure Gates is getting looked at but he reportedly couldn't block the sun, which may have been the reason he wasn't put in last season. Plus he kept bouncing the ball outside, missing huge holes inside. That was reported more than once.

This guy was a 7th round pick for a reason and a couple good runs in a pre-season does not earn him anything. Let's keep things in perspective.

I still expect a RB to be drafted at some point this weekend.

Competition is the name of the game. Earn it.

justasportsfan
04-28-2006, 01:15 PM
I'm sure Gates is getting looked at but he reportedly couldn't block the sun, and the A-Train can?

EDS
04-28-2006, 01:19 PM
Here's what this deal accomplished, as you put it, Jauron brought in one of his former players who adds literally nothing to the team. Unless you count mediocre veteran player as a positive these days.

He is as one dimensional as a running back gets with limited skill set. You applaud the signing of a guy who averaged 2.1 yards per carry last year, while at New Orleans. So we bring in a guy who won't even really help in short yardage.

All we did is bring in a "familiar face" to Jauron that takes away repetitions from Shaud Williams and Lionel Gates. While I don't like Shaud much, he serves more of a purpose than de-Trained....and what it does due is hamper Lionel Gates development as a player.

All in all, this move makes absolutely zero sense. He doesn't upgrade the backfield at all and stunts the growth of our younger option in Gates.

But applaud the move as you wish or tell yourself this is a great signing if you want. Perhaps, you're just enamored on the guys "name." Like I said, if he makes it to the final roster, I'd be extremely shocked.

I agree.

I am totally on board with the team's philosophy of signing younger up-and-coming veterans like Fowler, Bowens, Reyes, Royal, Triplett, etc. but think signing washed up has beens is just a waste.

What amazes me is that some people lambast the team for signing a "no name" like Fowler but then applaud when the team signs someone who was good five years ago (i.e., Peerless and A-Train) because they are a "name" player.

bigbub2352
04-28-2006, 01:49 PM
It is called competition, u tell me what shaud williams did that has everyone thinking he provides depth, he cant block a-train can, he can't catch, a-train can, i dont think at 28 he is washed up, do i think he is going to be outstanding no but he provides competition which is huge in the motivation of our young backs Willis and lionel, plus he has a 1000 yard season under his belt i will take that over a back up with potential any day, most teams carry 4 RB so if we have one in the draft willis and lionel then A-train is the experienced guy who knows the coaching staff and has been in the league and knows what it takes, even though he has not done anything the last couple of years, we cannot do any worse than we did last year at the position so name or no name it is better that what we had!

LifetimeBillsFan
04-28-2006, 01:53 PM
I really like this signing for several reasons:

1.) I see it as a sign that the Bills will concentrate on defense and offensive line in the draft

2.) It potentially gives the Bills a very solid back-up to Willis at very little cost or downside

3.) It makes the competition for rosters spots at all of the skill positions on offense very fierce and will push all of the RBs on the roster to play up to the maximum of their current capabilities

4.) It insures that the Bills will have a big back on their roster behind Willis that can pick up the tough yards inside

I really like Gates--I repeatedly mentioned him as a guy that I thought the Bills should draft before last year's draft and was delighted that they signed him. I still believe that Gates can be a quality back-up in the NFL: either as a RB or FB. But, I also really like A.Thomas--I said that I wanted the Bills to sign him last year before he ended up in Dallas. For various reasons I had reason to pay attention to what Thomas was doing the last couple of years and think that this will turn out to be an excellent addition to the Bills--it's not every day that you get to pick up a reasonably young, reasonably healthy, 1,000 yard rusher for virtually nothing and a minimal committment.

While it is true that Thomas is primarily a "north-south" runner, I do not see him as the "one-year-wonder" that some seem to see him as being. Despite being banged up every year and having his second season cut short by injury, Thomas gained more than 1,000 yards in 2 of his first three seasons. After Dick Jauron left, the Bears abandoned the power-running game and converted to a West-Coast Offense. Terry Shea, their OC (who was awful as the HC of Rutgers before getting the OC job) did not beleive that Thomas could play in the WCO, which led to the Bears acquiring Thomas Jones. Despite what Thomas did for the Bears to that point, Shea basically handed the starting RB job to Jones. Thomas really was not given a chance to compete with Jones for the starting job.

Needless to say, Thomas was very unhappy with this situation and wanted out of Chicago. Still, he did not let his unhappiness impact his play when Jones was hurt and Thomas played in his place. In the games that he started in place of Jones, Thomas was very productive--he absolutely destroyed the Giants in 2004--but that did not really have an impact on his playing time once Jones returned.

The situation for Thomas was even worse in Dallas where Parcells used him to motivate J.Jones and M.Barber without regard for how he played. Thomas had one game where he out-played the other two Dallas RBs, but, when he got off to a bad start in the next game, Parcells pulled him and then basically gave him his walking papers when M.Barber played well in relief of Thomas. In New Orleans, where Thomas really wasn't a fit for the offense they were running and he ended up splitting time with A.Stecker and, ultimately, being used primarily in short yardage situations, the situation was worse yet.

Having seen Thomas play well in a couple of games over the last two seasons, still has a lot of game left if he plays in the right offense and is used in the right situations. He has a lot of power, some speed and, despite the knock on his hands, he can catch the ball when given the opportunity (just ask the NY Giants). But, he needs to be used in a consistent manner: he was really jerked around by the coaching staffs in New Orleans, Dallas and the last year in Chicago. In my view, he is a runner who thrives on getting a lot of carries and would be be a good fill-in starter should Willis get hurt. I'm not so sure how well he will be able to do if he only gets 10-12 touches a game as a sub, but I think he would be a lot more productive if he is allowed to play for an entire series in relief a couple of times a game rather than being used a couple of plays at a time. As much as I like Gates, I think that Thomas is more of a pure power runner and would be better than Gates in short yardage situations if Willis proves to be skittish in goal-line and short-yardage situations (I don't believe Willis will be skittish in those situations if given the chance to carry the ball by the coaches--I think his performance last year was a reflection of how he was used by M.Mularkey and his unhappiness with that situation). Thomas doesn't have much "shake-and-bake", but if the hole is there, he will hit it and hit it hard--but the hole does have to be there because he isn't going to make people miss very often if they are in his way.

If the Bills want to keep Burns for his special teams play, it might be hard for Gates to make the team as a fourth RB behind Willis, who is clearly the starter; Shaud, who is the small, shifty, change of pace back; and Thomas, who is the more experienced power-runner. But, if the Bills feel that they can replace Burns on special teams, Gates has a chance to replace him as the # 2 FB and # 4 RB. I don't see "Fast Freddy" Smith making the team this year with R.Parrish and all of the return men that the Bills have on their roster. That's a spot that they could use to keep both Thomas and Gates.

IMHO the only things that will keep Thomas from making the Bills' roster is if he has been so emotionally scarred by the way that he was jerked around over the last couple of years that he does not play up to the capabilities that he showed in his first three years in Chicago or if the coaching staff expects him to do things in the offense that are clearly not his strengths on a frequent basis.

ICE74129
04-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Hey all this kid has to do is backup willis and carry part of the load. He will be fine

AndreReed83
04-28-2006, 02:14 PM
Good signing.

Bulldog
04-28-2006, 02:26 PM

Yeah, I just wish Marv would have let the team go into training camp with the midget and a 7th round draft pick to back up Willis. That would have been a great plan. Gates couldn't crack the starting line up in L'Ville but he's supposed to be relied upon to carry the load if Willis goes down? Brilliant! I would rather have A-Train, a vet with some proven success in the NFL, to fall back on if god for bid something does happen to Willis. I don't think you twice rush for over a 1,000 YDS in a season by accident in the NFL.

Mr. Pink
04-28-2006, 03:56 PM
Yeah, I just wish Marv would have let the team go into training camp with the midget and a 7th round draft pick to back up Willis. That would have been a great plan. Gates couldn't crack the starting line up in L'Ville but he's supposed to be relied upon to carry the load if Willis goes down? Brilliant! I would rather have A-Train, a vet with some proven success in the NFL, to fall back on if god for bid something does happen to Willis. I don't think you twice rush for over a 1,000 YDS in a season by accident in the NFL.

16 running backs ran for over 1000 yards last year and 18 did in 2004. Gaining 63 yards per game is all 1000 takes. Listen to any of the "experts" gaining a thousand yards is no longer that big of an accomplishment in todays' game. This guy averages 3.8 YPC over his career, which also is no accomplishment nor really any good in this league. Antowain Smith is available too, he ran for over a thousand yards in this league, twice, would you applaud his signing too? Shawn Bryson has a higher YPC average at 4.1 yet we all pretty much loved when he left. Same for Antowain Smith. Both of them were free agents as well this offseason as well.

Everyone on here keeps saying you build through the draft, so instead of developing our drafted "talent," in Lionel Gates, we sign someone elses' garbage who adds nothing to the running backs we already have. As you said BRILLIANT!

MarvLevy
04-28-2006, 04:11 PM
i dont want this guy...he picked dallas over us last yr...go back 2 dallas punk!

Bill Cody
04-28-2006, 06:05 PM
A train is done. I hope he gets cut.