• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BidsJr
    • Sep 2002

The Wisdom of Marv Levy

James 1:19
    My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.

I have held off on my public opinion of Marv and Dick up to this point and I'm glad that I have. The impatient and "quick to anger" side of me over the last few months has really had some problem seeing the big picture about where this franchise was headed. When we didn't make the "Donahoe Splash" in free agency coupled with the new CBA agreement and Ralphs apparent flipping out, a lot of questions were raised in my head.

Are we being cheap cause we can't afford it?
    Will the new CBA stop us from being competative?
    Are the Bills really going to move? Is Ralph getting ready to take us to LA?
    Is Marv competant enough to do the Job?
    Can Dick take us to the promise land?

It is becoming more apparent to me that Marv knows exactly what he wants to do with this team. Even though he is 80+ years old he is not selfishly building this team for this year. More than likely we will be on the outside looking in AGAIN with regard to the playoffs. Is their a chance to make them? Of course but one of our QB's is either gonna have to grow up fast or show skills that they have never shown before. Marv is attempting to build a foundation of a team that can make consistant runs at the playoffs. He is making calculating choices for younger help on both lines and giving them the chance to grow up together. New England and Indy have done this through the draft year after year especially on the O-Line. Marv hasn't had a draft yet but I expect it to be heavy on line talent.

The beautiful thing about this is that he hasn't wrapped up a whole bunch of money in these guys and we still have cap room for next year. I fully expect this year to be the last and final chance for JP Losman. He will get the year to show what he can do and GROW with the new young players on this team. IF he shows that he is the guy, our new Lines grow up together we have a very special team for a number of years.

Brings me to Dick Jauron.

Can a players coach lead a team to the promised land? Surely has happened before. Dick Vermiel is a much bigger crybaby than Jauron I'm sure we can all agree on that. That said, how many times have we heard of players saying they would love to come play for Dick Vermiel? I believe we are set up for a big free agent year next year. Marv is keeping dollars close to the vest, and Dick will recruit to fill the gaps.

No idea if this approach will take us where we need to go, but I can say this. Marv is a great mind, he understands the need for DEEP and TALENTED line play. He has TWO drafts 16 games and a free agency period to:
    -Find a QB (my money is on JP getting all year to sink or swim)
    -Allow the young guys on the lines to grow up
    -Add missing pieces, and extend contracts with our extra cap dollars.
    -Build the foundation of a team that can grow up together and contend year after year.
    "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: The Wisdom of Marv Levy

I agree. Marv is gonna use this year to gauge where the team is at. We supposedly have tons of cap next year. While we do have cap room now, there are still players that we need to sign to long term deals. Next year is when we really go shopping and even then , I think Marv will still go with youth. Most likely better, proven younger players.

I just don't think that going nuts in FA during their first yeat with the team was the way to go without knowing what we have currently on our roster. I'd rather have role players that do their job over big named players that take a lot of cap.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• The Quebecer
      • Jan 2003

Bravo! Agree 100%
      "Thinking is the hardest thing there is, that's why so few engage in it!"

"Between stimulus and response there is a space.
      In that space lies our freedom and power to choose our response.
      In those choices lie our growth and our hapiness."

"If you don't take care of your health now, you will undoubtly have to deal with your illness later!"

Comment

• Don't Panic
        All-Pro Zoner
        • Dec 2005

Very well said. I think you're seeing the picture very clearly.

Comment

• ICE74129
          Legendary Zoner
          • Feb 2005

I think someone here (cough cough) from day one said this was a two offseason deal. Get guys in here, draft well, save cap room to have a ton next year while making our needs to get us over the top much clearer.

Who was that wise man? Hummmm....

Comment

• The Quebecer
            • Jan 2003

You are a genius! ;-)
            "Thinking is the hardest thing there is, that's why so few engage in it!"

"Between stimulus and response there is a space.
            In that space lies our freedom and power to choose our response.
            In those choices lie our growth and our hapiness."

"If you don't take care of your health now, you will undoubtly have to deal with your illness later!"

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
              Not you. I think it was Skooby.
              sacrifice1

Comment

• ICE74129
                Legendary Zoner
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                Not you. I think it was Skooby.
                Everyone knows who it was. To bad you guys are too chicken SH@! to be men enough to admit it. But I have come to expect no less.

Comment

• BidsJr
                  • Sep 2002

Everyone knows who it was. To bad you guys are too chicken SH@! to be men enough to admit it. But I have come to expect no less.

I will call you wise if Crag Nall becomes the starter and has promise. Until then I'll hold my opinion.
                  "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• Bulldog
                    Top Dog
                    • Jan 2003

I think someone here (cough cough) from day one said this was a two offseason deal. Get guys in here, draft well, save cap room to have a ton next year while making our needs to get us over the top much clearer.

I really don't think that anyone on here expected Levy to right the ship in one off season. So don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.
                    I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• ICE74129
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Feb 2005

LMAO keep up the excuses, that is the chicken SH@! way.

Comment

• BigZ
                        • Sep 2003

Well put BidsJR

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

there you go with you arrogant attitude. Everyone here knew we weren't going to the sb this year but you're the only one giving yourself a pat on the back. If it makes you happy don't stop. Try giving yourself a pat on the back of the head though, with a hammer. It'll make me happy .
                          sacrifice1

Comment

• patmoran2006
                            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                            • Dec 2005

Is that a FACT? I hope you're not referring to yourself. I will be MORE THAN HAPPY to prove that you are a 100% LIAR and use YOUR QUOTE on what you said DAYS before FA..

MOST of the fans in here, whether I agree or disagre with them (Tatonka, Doz, EDS) and some others have had their belief from day one and stuck with it, for better or worse.

YOu on the otherhand, flat-out LED the WHINING parade before FA began on how "if Ralph doesnt spend the money we suck = no fans."

I dont need to get "personal" with you.. Your OWN SELF statements prove your a joke.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Pride
                              • Jul 2002

I think it's hilarious how much trust you guys put in a guy who has never been a GM before, never made a draft day pick as a GM, and signed... what? 4 players who are career backups??

Please! You guys are so thirsty for good news, you'll start seeing mirages in the form of Marv being sent from above with a golden halo around him!

Comment

Working...
                              X