PDA

View Full Version : The Wisdom of Marv Levy

BidsJr
04-28-2006, 10:02 AM
James 1:19
My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.

I have held off on my public opinion of Marv and Dick up to this point and I'm glad that I have. The impatient and "quick to anger" side of me over the last few months has really had some problem seeing the big picture about where this franchise was headed. When we didn't make the "Donahoe Splash" in free agency coupled with the new CBA agreement and Ralphs apparent flipping out, a lot of questions were raised in my head.

Are we being cheap cause we can't afford it?
Will the new CBA stop us from being competative?
Are the Bills really going to move? Is Ralph getting ready to take us to LA?
Is Marv competant enough to do the Job?
Can Dick take us to the promise land?

It is becoming more apparent to me that Marv knows exactly what he wants to do with this team. Even though he is 80+ years old he is not selfishly building this team for this year. More than likely we will be on the outside looking in AGAIN with regard to the playoffs. Is their a chance to make them? Of course but one of our QB's is either gonna have to grow up fast or show skills that they have never shown before. Marv is attempting to build a foundation of a team that can make consistant runs at the playoffs. He is making calculating choices for younger help on both lines and giving them the chance to grow up together. New England and Indy have done this through the draft year after year especially on the O-Line. Marv hasn't had a draft yet but I expect it to be heavy on line talent.

The beautiful thing about this is that he hasn't wrapped up a whole bunch of money in these guys and we still have cap room for next year. I fully expect this year to be the last and final chance for JP Losman. He will get the year to show what he can do and GROW with the new young players on this team. IF he shows that he is the guy, our new Lines grow up together we have a very special team for a number of years.

Brings me to Dick Jauron.

Can a players coach lead a team to the promised land? Surely has happened before. Dick Vermiel is a much bigger crybaby than Jauron I'm sure we can all agree on that. That said, how many times have we heard of players saying they would love to come play for Dick Vermiel? I believe we are set up for a big free agent year next year. Marv is keeping dollars close to the vest, and Dick will recruit to fill the gaps.

No idea if this approach will take us where we need to go, but I can say this. Marv is a great mind, he understands the need for DEEP and TALENTED line play. He has TWO drafts 16 games and a free agency period to:
-Find a QB (my money is on JP getting all year to sink or swim)
-Allow the young guys on the lines to grow up
-Add missing pieces, and extend contracts with our extra cap dollars.
-Build the foundation of a team that can grow up together and contend year after year.

justasportsfan
04-28-2006, 10:16 AM
I agree. Marv is gonna use this year to gauge where the team is at. We supposedly have tons of cap next year. While we do have cap room now, there are still players that we need to sign to long term deals. Next year is when we really go shopping and even then , I think Marv will still go with youth. Most likely better, proven younger players.

I just don't think that going nuts in FA during their first yeat with the team was the way to go without knowing what we have currently on our roster. I'd rather have role players that do their job over big named players that take a lot of cap.

The Quebecer
04-28-2006, 10:16 AM
Bravo! Agree 100%

Don't Panic
04-28-2006, 10:20 AM
Very well said. I think you're seeing the picture very clearly.

ICE74129
04-28-2006, 10:43 AM
I think someone here (cough cough) from day one said this was a two offseason deal. Get guys in here, draft well, save cap room to have a ton next year while making our needs to get us over the top much clearer.

Who was that wise man? Hummmm....

The Quebecer
04-28-2006, 10:46 AM
You are a genius! ;-)

justasportsfan
04-28-2006, 10:46 AM
Not you. I think it was Skooby.

ICE74129
04-28-2006, 11:04 AM

Everyone knows who it was. To bad you guys are too chicken SH@! to be men enough to admit it. But I have come to expect no less.

BidsJr
04-28-2006, 11:06 AM
Everyone knows who it was. To bad you guys are too chicken SH@! to be men enough to admit it. But I have come to expect no less.

I will call you wise if Crag Nall becomes the starter and has promise. Until then I'll hold my opinion.

Bulldog
04-28-2006, 11:25 AM
I think someone here (cough cough) from day one said this was a two offseason deal. Get guys in here, draft well, save cap room to have a ton next year while making our needs to get us over the top much clearer.

I really don't think that anyone on here expected Levy to right the ship in one off season. So don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

ICE74129
04-28-2006, 11:27 AM
LMAO keep up the excuses, that is the chicken SH@! way.

BigZ
04-28-2006, 11:40 AM
Well put BidsJR

justasportsfan
04-28-2006, 02:22 PM
Everyone knows who it was. To bad you guys are too chicken SH@! to be men enough to admit it. But I have come to expect no less.there you go with you arrogant attitude. Everyone here knew we weren't going to the sb this year but you're the only one giving yourself a pat on the back. If it makes you happy don't stop. Try giving yourself a pat on the back of the head though, with a hammer. It'll make me happy :D.

patmoran2006
04-28-2006, 02:26 PM

Is that a FACT? I hope you're not referring to yourself. I will be MORE THAN HAPPY to prove that you are a 100% LIAR and use YOUR QUOTE on what you said DAYS before FA..

MOST of the fans in here, whether I agree or disagre with them (Tatonka, Doz, EDS) and some others have had their belief from day one and stuck with it, for better or worse.

YOu on the otherhand, flat-out LED the WHINING parade before FA began on how "if Ralph doesnt spend the money we suck = no fans."

I dont need to get "personal" with you.. Your OWN SELF statements prove your a joke.

Pride
04-28-2006, 02:28 PM
I think it's hilarious how much trust you guys put in a guy who has never been a GM before, never made a draft day pick as a GM, and signed... what? 4 players who are career backups??

Please! You guys are so thirsty for good news, you'll start seeing mirages in the form of Marv being sent from above with a golden halo around him!

ICE74129
04-28-2006, 02:29 PM
Is that a FACT? I hope you're not referring to yourself. I will be MORE THAN HAPPY to prove that you are a 100% LIAR and use YOUR QUOTE on what you said DAYS before FA..

MOST of the fans in here, whether I agree or disagre with them (Tatonka, Doz, EDS) and some others have had their belief from day one and stuck with it, for better or worse.

YOu on the otherhand, flat-out LED the WHINING parade before FA began on how "if Ralph doesnt spend the money we suck = no fans."

I dont need to get "personal" with you.. Your OWN SELF statements prove your a joke.

Bring it little boy. Read what I said a few days into Free agency. Make sure you pull up your constant *****ing posts where I repeatedly outlined what Marv was doing and how I liked it.

MANY MANY MANY threads and posts telling posters to chill out, it was a 2 offseason process and we were doing it the patriots way by signing tier II FA's that are young, have good upside and starting to really come on in their careers. In fact I can go back and pull many posts where you ripped me for saying so based on the New England model.

And it's never personal pat, your threads have shown me you don't have enough football knowledge to take you personally.

ICE74129
04-28-2006, 02:30 PM
there you go with you arrogant attitude. Everyone here knew we weren't going to the sb this year but you're the only one giving yourself a pat on the back. If it makes you happy don't stop. Try giving yourself a pat on the back of the head though, with a hammer. It'll make me happy :D.

arrogance has nothing to do with it, I'm right. You guys dont' like it I really don't care, haven't you figured that out yet?

patmoran2006
04-28-2006, 02:41 PM
Bring it little boy. Read what I said a few days into Free agency. Make sure you pull up your constant *****ing posts where I repeatedly outlined what Marv was doing and how I liked it.

MANY MANY MANY threads and posts telling posters to chill out, it was a 2 offseason process and we were doing it the patriots way by signing tier II FA's that are young, have good upside and starting to really come on in their careers. In fact I can go back and pull many posts where you ripped me for saying so based on the New England model.

And it's never personal pat, your threads have shown me you don't have enough football knowledge to take you personally.

Really? Does this sound familar "Ice"
<TABLE class=tborder id=post1385525 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead> #5 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=1385525&postcount=5) http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/MSNStyle/images/buttons_msn/report.gif (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/report.php?p=1385525)
<!-- status icon and date -->http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/stealth/statusicon/post_old.gif 03-08-2006, 08:59 PM <!-- controls --> Fork (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/newthread.php?fork=1&do=newthread&p=1385525) | Reply With Quote (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1385525) | Quick reply to this post (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1385525) <!-- / controls --><!-- / status icon and date -->
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><!-- user info --><TABLE cellSpacing=6 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap>ICE74129 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=4630)<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1385525", true); </SCRIPT>
</TD><TD width="100%"> </TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap><!-- icon and title -->Re: $$$$$$$$16-18 mill to spend$$$$$$$$$ </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- / user info --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_1385525><!-- message, attachments, sig --><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Ralph will need to spend the bucks or we suck again. That = no fans after this last years crap
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Here's the link too: http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=93957

Does that still sound like you've had a "two year" plan all along , "Ice"? That thread is just a DAY before the FA period was to begin..

The only thing that is a FACT is that you LIE and put words in REAL coaches (not little league) mouths..

Now go "pat yourself on the back" some more.

ICE74129
04-28-2006, 02:45 PM
Hey pattie, AGAIN REEEEEEAL SLOOOOOW for you....what did I say AFTER FA started? and Said it MANY TIMES, and have stuck by it? I was the first one to flat out say this is a two offseason build and I know what Marv is doing and agree 100%.

Go back and make sure you link those threads where you called me an idiot for saying so.

Pride
04-28-2006, 02:49 PM
Seriously, will you two idiots grow up?!?

patmoran2006
04-28-2006, 02:50 PM
I cant stand LIARS that actually try to public pat themselves on the back.. Pathetic... Ya Ice, you were the "first one".. LMAO

I dont care though, its only a matter of time before LOG puts the ignore back into place and I dont have to be subjected to this pure GARBAGE.

ICE74129
04-28-2006, 02:52 PM
Seriously, will you two idiots grow up?!?

Nope, as long as he can be read I am going to be here every thread in his ass. Wont' violate the TOS though. Can't do that. Too much fun here.

Pride
04-28-2006, 02:54 PM
The mods should ban you both simply for the betterment of the board.

Its idiots like you that are running off the good posters around here...

ICE74129
04-28-2006, 02:54 PM
I cant stand LIARS that actually try to public pat themselves on the back.. Pathetic... Ya Ice, you were the "first one".. LMAO

I dont care though, its only a matter of time before LOG puts the ignore back into place and I dont have to be subjected to this pure GARBAGE.

Sure you will. I plan on logging on under another name, though a server that won't show my home local and making sure I am there to remind you how bad your posts are.

LMAO Pattie calls me a liar when he has no facts to back it up. And yeah I am patting myself on the back, I was right.

ICE74129
04-28-2006, 02:55 PM
The mods should ban you both simply for the betterment of the board.

Its idiots like you that are running off the good posters around here...

We arnt running off anyone. Good posters? Who? Since I have been here the only ones that contributed to the FOOTBALL discussion with any knowledge are still here.

patmoran2006
04-28-2006, 03:00 PM
Sure you will. I plan on logging on under another name, though a server that won't show my home local and making sure I am there to remind you how bad your posts are.

LMAO Pattie calls me a liar when he has no facts to back it up. And yeah I am patting myself on the back, I was right.

Do you have a crystal ball? Do you already KNOW the Bills are going to be good in 2007? Any jerkoff can look at the bills right now, assume they are going to suck in 2006 and be better in 2007.. But you, its pure genius!

On your BEST day and my WORST day you couldn't hold a candle to me when it comes to knowing football.. even the ones that would HATE me the most know this.. Sign on under all the names you want.. The first stupid thing you say will give you away.. Stupidity and your "contributions" to the football board are one and the same.

You never have ANYTHING to offer except a link from ANOTHER article or a one line "thought"..

ICE74129
04-28-2006, 03:02 PM
Do you have a crystal ball? Do you already KNOW the Bills are going to be good in 2007? Any jerkoff can look at the bills right now, assume they are going to suck in 2006 and be better in 2007.. But you, its pure genius!

On your BEST day and my WORST day you couldn't hold a candle to me when it comes to knowing football.. even the ones that would HATE me the most know this.. Sign on under all the names you want.. The first stupid thing you say will give you away.. Stupidity and your "contributions" to the football board are one and the same.

You never have ANYTHING to offer except a link from ANOTHER article or a one line "thought"..

LMAO Man it is too easy with you. Sorry pattie, you just don't have the knowledge to have a football conversation with. Now if you want to get some 3rd grader to come talk football with me on your behalf...

justasportsfan
04-28-2006, 03:03 PM
:movie:

Mr. Pink
04-28-2006, 04:01 PM

Go back through previous posts and we'll see who you aren't talking about. Although you are trying to toot your own horn here. Someone said "Marv better spend the bucks this offseason."

Hummmmmmm.....who was the "wise man" that said that?

ICE74129
04-28-2006, 04:03 PM
Go back through previous posts and we'll see who you aren't talking about. Although you are trying to toot your own horn here. Someone said "Marv better spend the bucks this offseason."

Hummmmmmm.....who was the "wise man" that said that?

Is said Ralph should BEFORE free agency. LMAO make sure you go and check all the history there Cleveland fan. When Pat was *****ing and whining about not signing every FA around and Marv not overspending, I said over and over and over, I understand what he is doing, why he is doing it and it was being done the right way.

There is no arguement here, I was right and am still.

Mr. Pink
04-28-2006, 04:06 PM
Is said Ralph should BEFORE free agency. LMAO make sure you go and check all the history there Cleveland fan. When Pat was *****ing and whining about not signing every FA around and Marv not overspending, I said over and over and over, I understand what he is doing, why he is doing it and it was being done the right way.

There is no arguement here, I was right and am still.

So does day one begin when you designate it to begin? When you said that ralph and marv should bring in "name" players was it day negative 12? And on the 7th day God should have eradicated hypocrisy.

patmoran2006
04-28-2006, 04:06 PM
So saying he should do something BEFORE FA and say the exact opposite AFTER FA , means you were RIGHT all along?

Now you're confusing me...

Mad Bomber
04-28-2006, 04:28 PM
This thread began with the words

My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.

Look what it has degenerated into. How ironic.

patmoran2006
04-28-2006, 04:31 PM
The initial thread by Bids was VERY well written.

BidsJr
04-28-2006, 06:27 PM
This thread began with the words

Look what it has degenerated into. How ironic.

And a point proven.:handball:

BidsJr
04-28-2006, 06:28 PM
The initial thread by Bids was VERY well written.
TY!

Now we're back on topic after the hijacking.

patmoran2006
04-28-2006, 06:37 PM
You make good points about Marv.

I was and still am a little upset they didnt add an impact player on DL to play with Triplett, but to his credit he has improved the OL BEFORE the draft.

Jauron we'll have to see.. He worries me.

YardRat
04-28-2006, 06:56 PM
I'm taking a wait and see attitude toward the new regime. I like what they've done so far, but the proof will come with the team's performance.

G. Host
04-28-2006, 07:00 PM
I thought exactly the same thing but sometimes it is difficult to tell the difference. Maybe "Skooby" is just an alias?

BidsJr
04-28-2006, 07:24 PM
You make good points about Marv.

I was and still am a little upset they didnt add an impact player on DL to play with Triplett, but to his credit he has improved the OL BEFORE the draft.

Jauron we'll have to see.. He worries me.

Like I said, I really think we will be heavy on the lines in the draft. Banking on this season as a seasone of growth for JP as #1, KH as #2, and CN as #3 (being groomed as the #2 of the future), and as a season of growth for the young lines.

If JP is a flop, we'll be really bad, with the caveat of an improving and more experianced oline. But we will have a high pick next year maybe with a chance at the top QB available.

BidsJr
10-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Thanks again Marv!!!!

Well, I was wrong about the part of giving JP the whole year and waiting a year to get a new QB.

You had the forsight to know that the QB needed an upgrade and wow has it paid off.

We owed you big time for the Superbowl years and we owe you big time again!!!

Marv Levy :posrep:

HAMMER
10-20-2008, 01:57 PM
Thanks again Marv!!!!

Well, I was wrong about the part of giving JP the whole year and waiting a year to get a new QB.

You had the forsight to know that the QB needed an upgrade and wow has it paid off.

We owed you big time for the Superbowl years and we owe you big time again!!!

Marv Levy :posrep:

"Marv is in over his head, Ralph is cheap, our FO is clueless, Parrish was a horrible pick, Whitner was a reach, Edwards was a luxury pick which should have been used on a lineman". Eat crow Moran and the rest of you "experts" (Op, Raphael, HHurricane, GR8slayer, et al) Sorry, the bandwagon is full, time for you to find another team.