PDA

View Full Version : Clump's Mock Draft (Final Version)

clumping platelets
04-29-2006, 07:14 AM
This time, I will offer my reasoning behind the picks because I'll be at the draft party and will not be able to answer questions....

Houston stole my thunder, if I wasn't so busy closing on tnhe house, packing, and cleaning...I would have posted this before they signed Mario Williams....see my Ourlads Mock Draft entry.....however, I can predict trades in my mock :D

Here we go:

Round 1

1) Houston: DE Mario Williams (No. Carolina St)

IMHO, the only 2 players Houston should have considered are Mario Williams and D' Brickashaw Ferguson. Both players are franchise calibur players at TRUE positions of need. Domanick Davis is a solid RB, thus I thought it was foolhardy to even consider Bush at #1. Texans are in a good spot with the 1st pick in rd 2 to add a RB if they so choose. Texans fans will be happy with this pick when Williams' becomes the anchor of that defense for years to come.

2) NY Jets (NO): RB Reggie Bush (USC)

This is a Jets franchise PR dream scenario. The draft is held in NYC with MANY Jets faithful in the audience. It's also nice that RB is an identifiable need for them. Curtis Martin is not getting any younger. Jets added Patrick Ramsey and still has Chad Pennington, thus I haven't thought QB was a target. They only go this direction because Houston decided to go with Mario Williams. If Bush had gone #1, I would have had the Jets taking TE V. Davis at #4. Jets also have the ammo to make the trade up because they have a second 1st rd pick from the John Abraham deal. [I have them parting ways with their 2nd rd pick (#35) and 4th in 2007]

3) Tennessee: QB Matt Leinart (USC)

Steve McNair has been told not to practice with the team because they do not want him getting injured and then being forced to guarantee his huge salary. They apparently do not have much faith that Billy Volek is the long term answer. Norm Chow, former USC OC, is now Titans OC. Either Reggie Bush or Matt Leinart is a lock at #3. Bush is gone, thus the pick is Matt Leinart....

4) New Orleans (NYJ): LB A.J. Hawk (Ohio St)

Saints have a solid DL. They also have Deuce McAllister. They plan on using last years 1st rd pick, Jamaal Brown at LT, thus they decide that getting a stud LB is the glue the defense needs. A.J. Hawk is that stud LB. He fills a glaring need for speed and leadership on a defense lacking both. Saints will have an extra 2nd rd pick from the Jets to address needs on either OL, TE, and DB.

5) Buffalo (GB): OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson (Virginia)

The Donahoe era is over. New front office and coaching staff again. The off-season has been fraught with frugality and whispers of LA Bills :eek: I foresee, because Ferguson is still on the board, the Bills move up and solidify the LT spot for years to come. [Bills send 3rd rd pick (#70) and 4th in 2007 to GB]

6) San Francisco: TE Vernon Davis (Maryland)

49ers have a desperate need for playmakers on offense. They also lack a stud presence on defense. Hawk would be the pick here if he was available. However, Vernon Davis gives the 49ers a tremendous weapon to help Alex Smith's maturation as an NFL QB. They will address defense later in rd 1

7) Oakland: LB Ernie Sims (Florida St)

Raiders need speed on defense. They have many needs but panic when all the studs are gone. No one wants to trade up here. Sims has been moving up the charts even though there are questions about concussion history. Raiders could go QB but I think they could get a good one in rd 2.

8) Green Bay (BUF): DB Michael Huff (Texas)

Packers need quantity as well as quality. They cannot draft for "one more year with Brett Farve". They need to draft for the future. Huff gives them versatility in the secondary and allows them to move Carroll to nickel/3rd CB. Could surprise with a DT but that not a huge need with the addtion of Ryan Pickett.

9) Detroit: QB Vince Young (Texas)

Well, this is a franchise who took WR 3 straight yrs. However, Lions do need a "QB of the future". Kitna and McCown will only take them so far. Sims or Huff would have been the target as they need a speed upgrade.

10) Philadelphia (AZ): DT Haloti Ngata (Oregon)

Eagles are desperate for youth inside on the DL. Ngata at #10 is good value. Eagles worried that either Rams or Browns would grab him. [Move up costs 3rd rd (#76)]

11) St. Louis: DB Antonio Cromartie (Florida St)

Rams have a HUGE need in the secondary. Cromartie also upgrades special teams while he learns CB. He could also project inside to one of the safety positions.

12) Cleveland: LB/DE Kamerion Wimbley (Florida St)

McGinest addition is a good one in the short term. Wimbley will learn from one of the best to ever play the tweener position for a Bill Bellichik style defense.

13) Baltimore: OT Winston Justice (USC)

Ravens could think about a young QB in Cutler but wouldn't that just set them back longer? Bring in Kerry Collins and put Justice at RT opposite one of the best in Jonathan Ogden. Ravens could consider help on defense as well.

14) Arizona (PHI): QB Jay Cutler (Vanderbilt)

Denny Green is a smart man. I've always been impressed by his decisions on draft day and this year is no exception. Cards need a QB of the future and with Kurt Warner at the helm, he will have a year or two to learn. However, if Michael Huff or Ernie Sims were still available, then one of them would be the pick.

15) Denver (ATL): WR Chad Jackson (Florida)

A WR starved team in a WR weak draft still gets the best one on the board. Rod Smith is not getting younger. They have flirted with adding either Terrell Ownes or Javon Walker. Ashley Lelie wants out. WR is the obvious choice here and Chad Jackson represents real value here. Do not rule out a move up for TE Vernon Davis

16) Miami: DT Brodrick Bunkley (Florida St)

Miami could go DB, WR, or either line. Bunkley slips through to them and they jump on adding youth to the DL. He's not a perfect fit for a Bill Bellichik style defense, but they said that about Richard Seymour. Bunkley could play a similair role.

17) Minnesota: LB Roger McIntosh (Miami,Fla)

Vikes need more from the LB corp. McIntosh is a versatile LB who can play all downs. Vikes could also consider a RB or more help for the secondary, especially CB.

18) Dallas: WR Santonio Holmes (Ohio St)

WOW! Drew Bledsoe will have TO, Glenn, Witten, J. Jones, and now Holmes. Cowboys also have a decent OL as well. Hmmmm.......

19) San Diego: OT Eric Winston (Miami, Fla)

Chargers are upset that Holmes is gone. They need to give new starter, Phillip Rivers, more weapons outside of Gates and LT. Bolts decide to take the LT of the future (or present) with Roman Oben on the wrong side of 30 and no apparent replacement on the roster. Chargers could also go DB or reach for a WR like Sinorice Moss

20) Kansas City: DB Jason Allen (Tennessee)

Chiefs are looking for a young weapon at Wr but seeing done, do the wise thing and upgrade the secondary with the versatile Allen. Some teams will shy away because of the hip injury he suffered in 2005. Chiefs could also consider a QB if Cutler were to slip through

21) New England: LB Chad Greenway (Iowa)

Patriots need to get younger at LB and Greenway represents tremendous value. Patriots could also go with RB, WR, or seconmdary here.

22) San Francisco (WSH/DEN): LB Bobby Carpenter (Ohio St)

49ers need defensive help...period. Carpenter upgrades the LB crew more than any DB can upgrade their secondary. Vernon Davis and now Carpenter.....beginnings of a great draft.

23) Tampa Bay: CB Ashton Youboty (Ohio St)

Bucs starting Cbs, Ronde Barber and Brian Kelly, are both over 30. Bucs do not really have an hier apparent on the roster and need to address this need for the future in a DB rich draft. Youboty represents solid value here. Bucs could also look for a Will OLB to eventually replace Brooks or maybe add depth to the OL, especially OT

24) Cincinnati: DB Donte Whitner (Ohio St)

Bengals are no longer the Bungles. They are a candidate to trade down but Whitner's stock has been rising. Bengals have a FS slotted at SS, so the addition of Whitner gives them flexibility. DL is also a possibility here.

25) NY Giants: CB Richard Marshall (Fresno St)

The addiiton of LaVar Arrington lessens the need for LB help. Giants could still consider Carpenter if available but they grab anither fast riser at Cb, Richard Marshall. This will take pressure off Sam Madison as a starter. A young RB of the future is also a distinct possibility

26) Indianapolis (CHI): RB Laurence Maroney (Minnesota)

Colts want a RB but need one that fits the E. James mold. Maroney fits the mold and they move up with the willing Bears.

27) Carolina: LB DeMeco Ryans (Alabama)

I do not believe RB is the focus early. Panthers need to upgrade the depth on the defense. They aggressively re-worked the DL, adding DTs Kermoeatu and D. Lewis, now it's time to work on the back 7. TE and OL are also possibilities.

28) Jacksonville: RB LenDale White (USC)

While LB is a greater need, Jags do a Donahoe move and draft for potential greatness. I think white, if healthy, will be a solid RB. They need to replace fred Taylor at some point. Jags could also go LB, TE, or add a pass rusher at DE here

29) NY Jets (DEN/ATL): OL Davin Joseph (Oklahoma)

Jets have Reggie, now it's time to reinforce the OL. They have a more desperate need inside than at OT. Jets could also target secondary help or TE here.

30) Chicago (IND): CB Kelly Jennings (Miami,Fla)

Bears need a target at TE. Moving down gives them the ammo to move back up in rd 2 to get one. They have a greater need for a young CB (yes, they added Ricky Manning Jr, but he potentially has serious legal issues). If Manning comes back, Bears will have a deep secondary. another possibility is LB or depth on OL.

31) Seattle: DE Tamba Hali (Penn St)

Seattle is in a position to take BPA. Hali's tremendous drive to succeed (read up on his past) makes him a solid choice. Seahawks may have led the NFL in sacks, but they still need another force on the edge. Former Bill, DE Bryce Fisher, will revert to the swing/#3 DE....

32) Pittsburgh: LB/DE Manny Lawson (No. Carolina St)

Steelers have many options here. They take the top player on their board because that's what good drafting teams do. They could consider RB but DeAngelo Williams is not a "Steelers Kind" of RB.

Rest of the Bills draft

2,42 - DB Darnell Bing (USC)
3,73 - DT Rodrique Wright (Texas)
4,105 - LB Leon Williams (Miami, Fla)
5,134 - DB Darrell Hunter (Miami, OH)
5,143 - DE Matthew Rice (Penn St)
6,178 - WR Drouzon Quillen (LA-Monroe)
7,216 - OL Adam Stenavich (Michigan)
7,248 - LB Keith Ellison (Oregon St)

:bullseye:
Time to get ready for the draft :wave:

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-29-2006, 07:21 AM
good stuff clump

Jersey1031
04-29-2006, 07:44 AM
I really like your top 3...

Turf
04-29-2006, 07:51 AM
I don't get Sims at 7.

J TES
04-29-2006, 07:54 AM
It would take more than that for Buffalo to move up three spots. No way G.B. moves down just to gain a 3rd and a 4th next year. No way.

patmoran2006
04-29-2006, 07:55 AM
Interesting. We'll have to wait and see. I'd say "good job" but we'll have to wait til tommorow night, I think its gonna be a nutty day.

I get Sims at 7, he's got a TON of ability.

lordofgun
04-29-2006, 09:48 AM
Why would GB do that?? I'd stay right there and take D'Brick.

patmoran2006
04-29-2006, 09:50 AM
seein Farve is back LOG, you are most likely right about the Brick..

DraftBoy
04-29-2006, 10:01 AM
Clump does that trade check out on the value chart bc it makes no sense if Im GB. If Im moving out of the top 5 I damn sure want a 2nd round pick out of it.

As for the rest of your draft, where is the OL help? We dont got any OG in this draft, no OC. We get only 1 DT, and we get LB which isnt even a need based on our current depth. You take Quillen which the pick I like best of the whole draft! So you get :thumbsup: up for that.

BidsJr
04-29-2006, 10:40 AM
Maroney and White taken above DeAngelo Williams? And Williams slipping to the second round?

That to me would be shocking.

LtFinFan66
04-29-2006, 11:58 AM
your draft is screwed Clump:clump:

clumping platelets
05-05-2006, 01:04 AM
Rest of the Bills draft

[/quote]

my insider info told me the Bills were gonna draft Ellison

Michael82
05-05-2006, 01:55 AM
Rest of the Bills draft

my insider info told me the Bills were gonna draft Ellison[/quote]
Oh man, they reached for him! :shocked:

:snicker:

clumping platelets
05-05-2006, 02:41 AM
No they didn't :shakeno:

TigerJ
05-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Well, in the first round you got Houston right. That's better than a lot of mockers did this year.

patmoran2006
05-05-2006, 10:04 PM
I undertand the draft is a crap-shoot, but unless my eyes just decieved me, you didn't even have Whitner going in the FIRST ROUND?

Ebenezer
05-05-2006, 10:20 PM
I undertand the draft is a crap-shoot, but unless my eyes just decieved me, you didn't even have Whitner going in the FIRST ROUND?
24th to Cincy...

then again, he did spend a lot of mental masturbation time to get that done.

patmoran2006
05-05-2006, 10:24 PM
lol

Ebenezer
05-05-2006, 10:29 PM
Ironically, he had Buffalo's 3rd round choice going one spot before Buffalo's 1st round choice.

feelthepain
05-06-2006, 09:22 AM
Wow clump, as it turns out you weren't even close!!! But neither was anyone elses.

Ebenezer
05-06-2006, 11:18 PM
Wow clump, as it turns out you weren't even close!!! But neither was anyone elses.
that's why i laugh at all those...especially when people predict trades...

feelthepain
05-06-2006, 11:29 PM
that's why i laugh at all those...especially when people predict trades...

Better off picking lottery numbers.

Ebenezer
05-06-2006, 11:33 PM
Better off picking lottery numbers.
better off doing anything useful.