PDA

View Full Version : Is Whitner THAT much better than Level 2?

patmoran2006
04-29-2006, 01:04 PM
SOMEONE and I mean ANYONE please tell me HOW Donte Whitner at pick number 8 is THAT much a better safety than these guys in the second round.

Daniel Bullocks, Ko Simpson, Darnell Bing, Pat Watkins.

At least TWO of those four safeties will be there in the second round.

Jason Allen and Jimmy Williams were MID first round talent, as was Donte Whitner to 31 other teams besides the Bills.

What a horrible, horrible HORRIBLE decision.
They should have either taken Bunkley or Ngata (though I hate him) or given the circumstances, how the **** could they leave Leinart on the board and not do ANYTHING about that?

patmoran2006
04-29-2006, 01:05 PM
BTW, Whitner was a one-year starter at OSU?

DraftBoy
04-29-2006, 01:05 PM
I think Whitner is being moved to CB, should we see Nate get moved for a late 1st, you can bet Whitner moves to CB and we take a level 2 S in Watkins.

DraftBoy
04-29-2006, 01:06 PM
BTW, Whitner was a one-year starter at OSU?

Correct

goodkarma
04-29-2006, 01:07 PM
someone would have certainly traded with us, staying put for this guy at 8 and so many holes to fill (dt, ot, lb, etc.) is just dumb.

The Spaz
I agree completely with Draftboy!:up:

BillsFever21
I think Whitner is being moved to CB, should we see Nate get moved for a late 1st, you can bet Whitner moves to CB and we take a level 2 S in Watkins.

Even if that is the case we could've gotten one of the CB's late in the 1st round if a CB is what we wanted.

patmoran2006
04-29-2006, 01:08 PM
If (and I hope) you are right.. Then I totally see it.. IF that is not the case and we drafted Whitner 8th to play safety with that much depth at the position in mid-1st- 2nd round..

THEN MARV has truly LOST his mind.

The Spaz
04-29-2006, 01:08 PM
Whitner is a good safety he would be even a better corner.

BillsFever21
04-29-2006, 01:10 PM
I can't believe we are this far past our pick and Whitner would still be on the board.

Marv has screwed up this entire offseason. From his 2nd and 3rd string "up and comming stars" we signed in FA and then this pick to add the fuel to the fire.

In Marv we trust? More like In Marv we bust.

patmoran2006
04-29-2006, 01:11 PM
and you think a team still has $7 million plus in cap room to throw Nate Clements to trade for him?
I'd love to hear the scenarios

DraftBoy
04-29-2006, 01:25 PM
I can see NYG, CAR, CIN, TB, JAX, SEA, PIT all wanting a peice of Clements

Ed
04-29-2006, 01:34 PM
Great. So are biggest needs right now are DL and OL, and we're going to use our first two picks on safeties?

I don't hate the pick, I just can't believe that we couldn't have traded down and not still gotten this guy.

I know most of the time it's easier said then done to trade down because you need a team to be willing to move up, but it seems pretty obvious that we had at least two teams interested in our #8 pick.

I guess we'll just have to wait until later to see what Marv and Co. have to say about it.

DraftBoy
04-29-2006, 01:46 PM
Great. So are biggest needs right now are DL and OL, and we're going to use our first two picks on safeties?

I don't hate the pick, I just can't believe that we couldn't have traded down and not still gotten this guy.

I know most of the time it's easier said then done to trade down because you need a team to be willing to move up, but it seems pretty obvious that we had at least two teams interested in our #8 pick.

I guess we'll just have to wait until later to see what Marv and Co. have to say about it.

No with the post you quoted wed trade nate for a late 1st and go OL like Winston or McNeil.

ICE74129
04-29-2006, 01:49 PM

And if he isn't moved are you going to finally admit this was a horrible pick? this guy was a 2nd round talent at best and we took him 8th

patmoran2006
04-29-2006, 01:50 PM
And if he isn't moved are you going to finally admit this was a horrible pick? this guy was a 2nd round talent at best and we took him 8th

HOrse-****.

He was projected to go between 14-20 at the latest.. I dont know what mocks you been looking at.

Miami had a hard-on for him and articles all over cinci suggested they were trying to trade up to get Whitner.

patmoran2006
04-29-2006, 01:51 PM
No with the post you quoted wed trade nate for a late 1st and go OL like Winston or McNeil.
If yer right, I"ll be VERY impresed.. However, I think Nate Clements is going nowhere.. Marv isnt even creative enough to trade down, you think he's going to pull off a huge deal like that?

LifetimeBillsFan
04-29-2006, 02:29 PM
The comparison projections that I saw on him in a couple of places was with Mike Doss. If he turns out to be another Mike Doss, would you be happy with him as the Bills' first round pick? Forget where he was taken: if they get that kind of a player would you consider that a good addition to the team?

I also saw reports that Miami was very high on him and would have taken him. The thing is that he is a Cover 2 safety. If you watched Ohio State last year, he always seemed to be around the ball. While I would have liked to get him a few picks lower and picked up and extra pick, I think that, objectively speaking, this was a pretty decent pick, if the Bills didn't like Bunkley or Ngata. I think it was no where near as bad a pick as a lot of people are making it out to be.

patmoran2006
04-29-2006, 02:33 PM
The comparison projections that I saw on him in a couple of places was with Mike Doss. If he turns out to be another Mike Doss, would you be happy with him as the Bills' first round pick? Forget where he was taken: if they get that kind of a player would you consider that a good addition to the team?

I also saw reports that Miami was very high on him and would have taken him. The thing is that he is a Cover 2 safety. If you watched Ohio State last year, he always seemed to be around the ball. While I would have liked to get him a few picks lower and picked up and extra pick, I think that, objectively speaking, this was a pretty decent pick, if the Bills didn't like Bunkley or Ngata. I think it was no where near as bad a pick as a lot of people are making it out to be.
Yay for me getting one right. Thats whom I compared Whitner to in my peice (DOss) ANd in my tremendously incorrect MOck, had Miami jumping on him at 16.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-29-2006, 02:48 PM
Yay for me getting one right. Thats whom I compared Whitner to in my peice (DOss) ANd in my tremendously incorrect MOck, had Miami jumping on him at 16.

So, the Bills thought that was what they wanted for their defense and took him before Miami could.

I don't know why so many people are so wrapped up in the "value" of a spot in the draft. Teams draft players to fill spots in their lineup. The players that you get in each round of the draft--each pick you make--has certain odds of becoming a good player: first rounders have a higher percentage of odds of becoming a good player than a second rounder, etc. History shows that there is no guarantee that a player that is taken with the # 8 pick is going to be that much bigger of a star than a guy taken at # 16. The percentage of success may be a little higher, but not enough for everyone here to be pulling their hair out over.

The question is, if the Bills just got a healthy Mike Doss to play safety in their Cover 2 defense, would you consider that to be a good pick up for the team in the first round of the draft? Oh, BTW: where was Ed Reed drafted? As I recall he was drafted in the early 20s of the first round--is he better than some of the players who were drafted a half dozen picks before him???

Why don't we wait to see what kind of player this kid Whitner turns out to be before we start screaming that he sucks and go out and tar-and-feather Marv Levy....

Kerr
04-29-2006, 02:50 PM
So, the Bills thought that was what they wanted for their defense and took him before Miami could.

I don't know why so many people are so wrapped up in the "value" of a spot in the draft. Teams draft players to fill spots in their lineup. The players that you get in each round of the draft--each pick you make--has certain odds of becoming a good player: first rounders have a higher percentage of odds of becoming a good player than a second rounder, etc. History shows that there is no guarantee that a player that is taken with the # 8 pick is going to be that much bigger of a star than a guy taken at # 16. The percentage of success may be a little higher, but not enough for everyone here to be pulling their hair out over.

The question is, if the Bills just got a healthy Mike Doss to play safety in their Cover 2 defense, would you consider that to be a good pick up for the team in the first round of the draft? Oh, BTW: where was Ed Reed drafted? As I recall he was drafted in the early 20s of the first round--is he better than some of the players who were drafted a half dozen picks before him???

Why don't we wait to see what kind of player this kid Whitner turns out to be before we start screaming that he sucks and go out and tar-and-feather Marv Levy....

Hey lbf, whitner in the sporting news draft has been compared to Bob Sanders. I know Mike Doss and Mike Brown have been mentioned, but you think that would be a good assessment?

patmoran2006
04-29-2006, 02:56 PM
Sanders and Doss are very much alike...........

I just think 8 was TOO high for that...........Whitner was a 13-17 pick IMO