• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff 311
    • Jan 2003

Colvin

Here is a list why we should not go for him in free agency
    1) would be a possible cancer in the locker room, him and his agent are playing games w/ the bears
    2) sucks in pass coverage
    3) O.k in run coverage
    4) Very Very good pass rusher, had 11 sacks last year. But why bring him in when G.W system never blitzes from the storng side.
    Go Bills !!
    Go PSU !!
  • Doc
    • Dec 2002

IMHO the Bills need a good coverage LB'er more than a pass-rushing LB'er. Having both would be nice, but one of the other guys (Spikes, Peterson, Simmons) would be better than Colvin.

Comment

• clumping platelets

He's also coming off shoulder surgery

Comment

• Wys Guy
        Drew and Sam stole all my hair
        • Jul 2002

He may cost less as well. Keep in mind that this is a zero-sum-game. We'll have to settle for a risk or a lesser caliber player to fill all of the holes that we have. That will be even more the case if Price resigns.

We simply can't sign Spikes, Douglas, and Noble even if they were available.

I say our biggest move should be at the DT position. The FAcy market is exceptionally deep at LB, moreso than last season's glut when many LBs signed for cheap. Not saying that will happen again this year, but w/ greater supply, cost goes down.

I'd like to get Spikes though.
        Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
          • Jul 2002

As well, just about all agents/players are "playing games" with their teams now. Spikes is, Gardner is, I'm sure many are jockeying to get what they can. I wouldn't let that guide us. That's a normal part of the offseason.

Now if he were a cancer in the lockerroom, then that'd be a different matter.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Tatonka
            • Jul 2002

i agree.. not a big colvin fan.. he really just has 10.5 sacks for 2 seasons.. but i think newman could get that if he was used.. so why would they use colvin any different?
            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Bert102176
              • Aug 2002

I would like TD to sign Spikes and Peterson, we need 2 OLB's not just one
              lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Comment

• Wys Guy
                • Jul 2002

Yeah, but we need a DT as much if not more.

Keep in mind that we were one of the worst teams in the league this season at stopping the run. OLB won't help that nearly as much as DT will and we need a good one, not just a warm body such as we've been accumulating.

We'll be better off w/ an average OLB and a great DT than we would with a great OLB and an average DT. At least against the run.

Even Spikes signing won't help us stop the run nearly as much as we would w/ a marquee DT in there.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• JefftheBillsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Great notes Jeff, I agree completely
                  Its all about the quest.

Comment

• Bert102176
                    • Aug 2002

:huddle:
                    Last edited by Bert102176; 02-09-2003, 09:58 PM.
                    lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Comment

• TigerJ
                      • Jul 2002

I think both DT and OLB are critical needs for the Bills this offseason. The problem is that neither the draft nor free agency are going to fall in such a way that Buffalo will have an easy time getting a great DT. I think Buffalo should take advantage of the glut of good OLBs in free agency. They have to sign at least one if not two. They might get a good, not great DT in free agency. They will also be shut out of the top notch DTs in the draft. They have a chance to get Ty Warren but the top 6 or 7 will be gone by the time Buffalo picks. The knock on him is that he's been an underachiever until the second half of his senior campaign. Everyone else has flies on them too. Jarrett Johnson is a little undersized and not as athletic as you'd like. He's quick though. Adams and Manning are pretty short. Cole is a run stopper but doesn't rush the passer very well. Other guys are slow and won't have much impact in the NFL or have a history of injury.
                      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Wys Guy
                        • Jul 2002

Yeah, I'm thinkin' the same thing although I think we can land Thornton if we try. Ford if not Thornton.

If we then do grab two very good to excellent OLBs, we'll be in solid shape, especially if Marcus Jones pans out.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• TedMock
                          • Jul 2002

Agreed. DT would've made a huge difference last season on several occasions. It's an inside out game. The D-line makes everything else happen via trickle down. Stop the run, get pressure on the qb and all of a sudden the LB's and DB's are better and able to be more aggressive. They could sign a stud DT and still get a very good OLB. It's possible to get "great" at both. DT is the most pressing need and I say that 1 OLB would work, 2 would be better but Newman IMO was misused. Use his skills properly (pass rushing) and put a solid backer on the other side and we're in great shape. I think the DB's are still in relatively decent shape. Coy Wire has a year experience under his belt now and obviously are corners are very solid.

Comment

• kgun12
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka
                            i agree.. not a big colvin fan.. he really just has 10.5 sacks for 2 seasons.. but i think newman could get that if he was used.. so why would they use colvin any different?
                            I agree T. I not sure what the problem with Newman is. He could be the answer to our rushing LB. Meaning we would only need i lb and a DT in FA's.

Wys I agree that we need a DT maybe more than a LB, BUT we have some DT's on the roster that can play in that position. I don't know if we have a LB to put on the field. Eddie is washed up and Spoon is coming off injury. Having said all that we can fill all our needs in FA's. I don't think you need to breaks the bank either. New England did the year they won the SB. They added good FA's not high priced ones and I don't think TB broke the bank when they signed players either. If done smartly we can build a great D around the players we have now by adding to them with good FA's.
                            Retired Air Traffic Controller
                            USAF VETERAN
                            DAV

Comment

Working...
                            X